1 (edited by Dirty Ed 2010-08-24 17:06:46)

Topic: Small Medium at Large

I've tried twice to use the described format for submitting a song, but this newbie can't seem to make it work. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? This is a song I wrote it a few years ago and have included a YouTube link of me playing it at an open mic venue a couple of years ago.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vydnrMXj … re=related

Ken "Dirty Ed" Willis

SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGEby Ken Willis

[G]Little Georgie hit it rich as a [C7] fortune-telling midget

His [G]TV show had money coming [D]in [D7]

But [G]Georgie was a little lax [C7]when it came to paying tax

It [G]got him [D]three years in the [G]pen

[G]He was only in six months they said, the [C7]morning shift was checking beds

And [G]Little Georgie wasn't in his [D]cell [D7]

The [G]search did not take very long, [C7]they determined he was gone

The [G]prison sirens [D]all began to [G]wail[G7]

Chorus:

[C]Get on the phone, call the [G]warden if he's home

[G]We've got to find somebody that's in [D] charge[D7]

'Cause that [G] fortune-telling midget's loose, we've [C7]got to spread the word

There is a [G]small [D]medium at [G]large

[G]It was a miracle escape, [C7]balloons tied to a packing crate

[G]To fly that wall a man would need some [D]guts[D7]

Hell, [G]just to climb inside that rig a [C7]man would have to have balls so big

It [G]had to prove that [D]midget was half [G]nuts[G]

Chorus

[G]Sheriff Johnson had him trapped [C7] back in an alley

[G]He got loose but Johnson won't say [D]why[D7]

But [G]Johnson was admitted to the [C7]ER wirh some human bites

And [G]we all know that [D]midgets are just waist [G]high[G7]

Chorus

[G]I heard they finally caught him out in [C7]Phoenix, Arizona

They [G]cuffed him and they hauled him into [D]court[D7]

He would have [G]made it clear to Frisco if he [C7]had the money

But I [G]guess that midget was [D] running a little [G] short[G7]

[C]Get on the phone, call the [G]warden if he's home

[G]We've got to find somebody that's in [D] charge[D7]

'Cause that [G] fortune-telling midget's loose, we've [C7]got to spread the word

Yeah that [G] fortune-telling midget's loose, we've [C7]got to spread the word

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: Small Medium at Large

Hi Ken,

I hope you (and Ark or Jeff) don't mind but I took the liberty of correcting your formatting of this song. Go into edit and you will see that it must start with 'song' and finish with '/song' in square brackets. It must also have 't:' and 'st:' in curly brackets for the title and subtitle. Otherwise it was OK. I will get my guitar out shortly and give it a whirl.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

The 12er has been got out and tuned and then I had great fun playing this one, in fact I 'Badeyed' it. You realy should record this song, in fact I am tempted to do so myself.

Thank you and well done,

Roger

NIce stuff Ed...real nice. Thanks for sharing

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Fun tune to play, It's been "badeyed", oh ya

badeye   cool

one caper after another

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I recorded the song on a CD about 5 years ago.  I've got 30 originals I've recorded on 3 CDs with me just playing solo with an acoustic, kind of a "campfire/riverbank" sound I was trying to do.  A couple months ago I finished a new CD with 15 new songs, but had a couple of my friends add bass, harmonica, guitar, mandolin and backround vocals to make a "fuller" sound.

Thanks for re-formatting for me Roger.  I tried twice with "song" in square brackets and ended with "/song" in square brackets but it didn't seem to work.  I didn't use 't:' or 'st:' though, could that have been the problem?

Ken

Dirty Ed wrote:

I didn't use 't:' or 'st:' though, could that have been the problem?

Ken

Without these it will not work properly and the whole page appears in a larger font.

Roger

Roger Guppy wrote:
Dirty Ed wrote:

I didn't use 't:' or 'st:' though, could that have been the problem?

Ken

Without these it will not work properly and the whole page appears in a larger font.

Roger

Thanks for the info. I may try to post another song to see if I can get the hang of it.

DE

Very nice Ken!  Hey... I couldn't help but notice where this was recorded.  We have another Chordian that has played at the same place doing open mic!  We call him Big Jim, aka Bass Viking.  Makes me wish I was in Ohio so I could come join you all.  That open mic looks like a blast!!    Anyway, very fun song you've got there that just jumps and hops!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks Amy! Yes, I know Big Jim (better known as Bass Viking on one of the fishing websites we both hang out on).  The open mic is every Thursday in Ashville, Ohio and always has a good attendance.  Occasionally one of the guys brings a video camera and posts the performances on Youtube.  If you're bored sometime, search ''englishmanjohn" (no spaces) on Youtube and you can check out some of the pickers/players.  Several are songwriters and try out new stuff on stage.  Everyone is real supportive (like folks here at Chordie).

DE

I remember when Dirty Ed had first written this song and tried it out on a bunch of drunken fisherman at a late night campfire along the banks of the New River.  There was one fellow who stayed a bit drunker than the others who couldn't recall the title from day to day, and so about ten times per night he'd yell, "Hey!  Hey Dirty Ed!  Play 'dat midgit song ag'in."  And so for the past five years or so as soon as Dirty Ed pulls out his guitar in the company of drunken fishermen at campfires along river banks the near universal cry is "Hey!  Hey Dirty Ed!  Play 'dat midgit song." 

- Zurf

p.s.  I was not the drunken fisherman in question.  Just to be clear on that point.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

hi ken you look in your element with all the mikes and stage,great song, well played and sung.....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

I am EnglishmanJohn from the Ashville Open Mic and I can tell you Dirty Ed is one of the best. He writes some great music if you can get hold of his latest CD do so. Well worth it.