Topic: Dear Members,

The Chordie forums have been getting smacked lately with spam.  Us moderators have been busy!  I'm not sure how many of the members have seen some of this, but I want to keep you safe so here's a bit of info.  Most of what we've been hit with are people copying and pasting information from other sites (information that seems to be helpful sometimes, but is clearly copyright infringement from other sites and the source is not quoted), and comments on posts that may seem worthwhile and each of these posts includes spam links in the NEW users signatures or at the end of their posts.  All they are trying to do is advertise their websites by hiding behind something that they think will be useful in the hopes that you will click on their links.

My reason for posting this information, is to make you aware of the situation as well as to ask you to help us out.  Remember when Roger instituted the Junior, Senior, Honored member ranking?  Please pay attention to this when you see a post with a link in it.  Check on the left below the user name to see if they are a Junior Member (newbie) when they were registered and if this is only their first or second post.  If so, and there is a link in their post or signature that doesn't look like it belongs on Chordie, PLEASE do NOT click on it.  As members, you have the power to report suspicious entries like this so that the moderators can act on it.  For a while now, I haven't seen anyone really reporting much other than moderators.  Members, YOU HAVE THE POWER to flag things for our attention!  smile  When reading a post that reeks of spam, copyright, and unauthorized advertising (or even if there's swearing or something that clearly doesn't follow the Chordie guidelines found here) go to the bottom right hand corner of that post and click on "report", a new page will come up and you can enter in the reason you are reporting that post to the moderators.  For example, "spam in signature" or "unauthorized advertising" or "copyright material", "suspicious", "foul language", "this dude's profile pic is ugly" (ok, maybe not that one LOL) etc... 

Your participation in keeping the forums clean will help to keep the forums a happy safe place to visit without having to worry about accidentally clicking on someone's unwelcome junk links.

Thank you for taking a minute to read this!  smile 

Amy

To those thinking about posting said junk on the forums... we've got our eyes on you...   As the guidelines clearly state, anyone posting SPAM, UNAUTHORIZED ADVERTISING, AND/OR COPYRIGHT MATERIAL CAN AND WILL BE BANNED WITHOUT WARNING!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Dear Members,

Thanks for the info, I'll keep my eyes open when I'm around.  Those spambots are getting sneakier and sneakier. 

This is a problem on all forums across the board.  On an Asperger's forum where I was the one and only  admin,  it got so bad I nearly resigned.  But, the owner updated the forum and made it difficult for casual spammers to flood on.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Thanks MKM. you Moderators are doing a great job! I log on almost every day and rarely see any Spam. Thank you for all youre hard work.

jcellini wrote:

Thanks MKM. you Moderators are doing a great job! I log on almost every day and rarely see any Spam. Thank you for all youre hard work.

Indeed

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Thanks for the info!  I've wondered what that little "report" icon was for, but never really clicked on it for fear of doing something catastrophic.  I'll tuck that bit of data away for the eventuality and hope others do the same.

Thanks also for the great job the Moderators do here, so little appreciation is expressed for the donation of time and effort.  I'm sure the "Pickles" are not sufficient in most cases.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thank you everyone for reading through this and keeping in mind the ways that you can help!  smile  Without all the great members here at Chordie, hardly any of the mods would want to be doing what we do.  It's all of you that make this forum so great!

Got it, thanks to all the MODS.

Thanks Amy - good job!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Thank you and all the moderators etc for keeping watch over all the sight,this is why it is so nice to come here,it is like a safe zone and a family.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hey all... just wanted to BUMP this post AND thank those of you that have been reporting spam, it is GREATLY appreciated!!

Please note that there are currently some spam posts on the forum that HAVE been reported already, it's just a matter of waiting for the moderator of that particular section to get online to remove the spam.  If the member has already been banned, then chances are that the spam has already been reported.  Please be patient!  We've been getting a couple "new members" that post about 17 spam messages at a time before we catch them and they're posting in many different sections.  THANK YOU!!!!!

Amy

What spam?  Ah, just kidding. We got our eye out for them for sure.  Keep up the good work.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

The spammers are driving me nuts, but it's also got a little bit of thrill to ban them.  Almost like feeling a tug at the end of the line.  You are right Amy about the good people who contribute to our international rap session who make me want to serve them as moderator.  I've had to send out a gentle reminder of the rules on rare occaision, but out of the many thousands of people registered and active we have not got one "problem" member that I know of.  That's awesome!  Musicians rock. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Do you want me to be the designated problem member for a while?
http://bestsmileys.com/cool/5.gif

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

LOL.  If you think it's absolutely necessary.  Perhaps we should have an award, call it a Chordy, that we pass around, each of us taking a turn at being the resident "problem."  :-)

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Now, that sounds fun.  Start the ball rolling.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Many thanks MKM.. great job.  Love Chordie, hate the spammers.

We do thank the mods for a great job!
You would think the spammers would give up after a while but then you are dealing with folks whose imaginary friends won't even play with them.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Can we disable hyperlinking for junior members? That would disincentivize spammers and not impact the forum too much. Just a thought

I've noticed more spam activity since I started visiting regularly again. All of the mods are doing a great job of handling them. Keep up the great work guys and thank you for keeping this forum amongst the greatest.

It's a near constant assault now.  I think I've banned someone every day this week (except today), and on Thursday morning of last week I banned seven people, then had a different moderator come along and ban someone who I wasn't so sure about (he turned out to be a spammer extra-ordinaire, so much for compassion, eh?).  Before last week, I don't think I've banned more than one spammer a month. 

I read that the FBI and Interpol just cracked some major code used by spam-bots in Eastern Europe and the Phillipines (where much of the spammers I've banned were from).  That could help relatively soon, but it takes a while for them to filter through all the chaffe to find the controlled computers. 

- Zurf

Just logged on again and what do I see? Blasted spammer posting his rubbish all over the forum. Its really starting to annoy me. He got banned pretty quickly though. Good job to all the mods who keep the forum spam free.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Zurf wrote:

It's a near constant assault now.  I think I've banned someone every day this week (except today), and on Thursday morning of last week I banned seven people, then had a different moderator come along and ban someone who I wasn't so sure about (he turned out to be a spammer extra-ordinaire, so much for compassion, eh?).  Before last week, I don't think I've banned more than one spammer a month. 

I read that the FBI and Interpol just cracked some major code used by spam-bots in Eastern Europe and the Phillipines (where much of the spammers I've banned were from).  That could help relatively soon, but it takes a while for them to filter through all the chaffe to find the controlled computers. 

- Zurf

True, it's really been quiet for a while as far as spam goes... and then the last two weeks have been crazy.  Best part, you KNOW they're bots of some sort because each of them is posting 17 messages.  WEIRD number, but ok whatev! 

I'm excited to hear about the FBI and Interpol cracking a major code!  That gives me hope that this onslaught will end soon, but then... us mods will be back to just lounging around the site trying to find someone to bully (lol... just kidding... oh wait, deadstring has volunteered to be a "problem" this could come in handy when we get bored!)

BGD - I don't think the forum software allows settings for forum links to be shut off based on status... I think the only settings controllable by status is within the profile, but I'm not so sure about that.  This is the type of thing for Roger or our fearless leader Per to handle.  I have NO DOUBT that Roger will see this thread soon and comment on that.

Have a GREAT day Chordians!!!!

I am going too start calling the moderators  "The Mod Squad"  like the tv show from the 1970 era. ,we all really appreciate and respect what you all do too keep the sight clean.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Do I get to drive a Gran Torino really fast?  'Cause that would be great! 

- Zurf

25 (edited by arkady 2011-07-07 17:27:36)

Baldguitardude wrote:

Can we disable hyperlinking for junior members? That would disincentivize spammers and not impact the forum too much. Just a thought

This sort of thing has been discussed in the past during times of increased spamming.
I think it maybe looked into again something coupled with the number posts maybe 20 or so before hypelinking is enabled. I think it may have been to difficult to implement can't quite remember.
Still most spammers are banned and the posts deleted within a day or so. It just makes Chordie look a bit untidy and is annoying.
Thanks
ark