Topic: Desktop wi fi hookup

I have a question I am not to up on PC's when it comes to the nuts and bolts I would like to dump my cable and switch my desktop to wi fi I read it can be done using my router and a usb wi fi connecton is this possible? and if it is would I have to pay for the wi fi on a monthly basis or is this a one time purchase?

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Desktop wi fi hookup

Your router becomes the wifi, but you have to get a signal from somewhere.  I have a sattelite antenna for mine.  It goes through the router to the computer and then you can connect other things via wifi.  I am not sure if that answers your question.  In order to get rid of cables to and from other things you have to use bluetooth.  Each device needs to be bluetooth compatible.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

You can make the desktop "wireless" with a wireless usb adapter....however you still need a network to log on to. It sounds like thats what you have now with the router and a cable modem , i would guess.
hope this helps

Go WINGS..and Tigers,Lions and Reading F.C...C'mon Royals

4 (edited by AccoustikNoyz 2010-09-14 00:52:59)

Roger
I think you need this:
http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/adapte … ewprod.htm
To pick up internet signal without wireless built into your computer.
Then you also need to take the wired signal from your current cable system to plug into a router such as this to broadcast the signal (wi-fi).
http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Router … ewprod.htm

A visit to your local big box electronics appliances store and the salesman will walk you thru it.  You don't get to cancel cable subscription, as that is what has to feed the signal to the router for it to be broadcast.

Hmmm... are you trying to lower your bills by completely dumping cable, or do you just no longer want the computer where it is connected to the cable? I think you might miss your high speed connection if you completely dump it (uploads will be super slow, downloads not so bad). Do you know if there is an open free wifi hotspot that you can pick up a connection?

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

the answer is yes I am trying to dump the cable but now I dont know if the wireless is that much slower I could grow a beard waiting to upload I'll have to give it a little more thought thanks everyone for taking the time to give me some answers not sure yet what I will decide on.. hmm smile

Hi Russell,

OK got it, you want to un-hook from Roadrunner.... and you think you have an unsecured wifi host somewhere within range?  You might check your laptop and see if it has wireless capabilities.  If so you will likely have to turn on the "antenna" and ask your laptop to search for available networks within range, it should bring up a list of connections if any exist and tell you if they are secured or open (ie public access) like down at the local Starbucks.  If there's one out there you can then connect to it, and give it a test drive to see if it is fast enough for what you need.

After that  (if all goes well) you could then install a wireless network card in your desktop, or plug in a USB dongle and choose that as your preferred device on startup.  Then repeat the search (like you did with the laptop) and you should be in business.
Then you can call the cable boys and have the internet services terminated and get the adjustment to your cable bill accordingly.

We run a large wireless network here at the house and even with everyone online it sure seems fast enough for the 7 clients we are supporting..... well except for the Googletalk issue of mine  that still hasn't corrected itself.   If it seems confusing, shoot a query in Devon's direction and I'm sure he can assist.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hi Russell

The bottom line is that you will still need some kind of signal coming to your house whether that is by cable, phone line, or by picking up somebody else's signal be that somewhere like Starbucks or your neighbour.  In order to use somebody else's signal you would not even need a router but simply a wireless usb dongle or network card in your computer.  Usb is the best option as you would not need to open up your computer to add new hardware.  You must be aware that if you pick up somebody else's signal your connection may be slow and you will be subject to the owner's whim should they decide to turn it off at night or when they go out.  The other downside is that many home networks are now secured using either WEP or WPA passkeys and you won't get access unless the owner tells you that key.
This can work though - my brother and his 2 neighbours in the flats near to him share the cost of 1 broadband connection and have created themselves a little wireless network.
Hope this helps

All the best

Ian

All things good to know are difficult to learn.
Greek Proverb

Russell_Harding wrote:

the answer is yes I am trying to dump the cable but now I dont know if the wireless is that much slower I could grow a beard waiting to upload I'll have to give it a little more thought thanks everyone for taking the time to give me some answers not sure yet what I will decide on.. hmm smile

Well... if it's just because you're mad at the cable company - and not a matter of money - you may want to look and see if the phone company has a high speed plan available in your area.  Verizon now has FIOS service here in NY and it claims to be just as fast as (or faster than) cable.  DSL is also a choice (again, via the phone lines) and from what I hear it is slower than cable but not too bad.  Then there's also satellite service which uses a combination of downstreams via satellite (pretty fast) and upstreams via either DSL (pretty fast) or traditional dial up (you'll bake an entire loaf of bread before you get that 5M file uploaded). 

If you can do what Doug_Smith suggested and check to see if there is an open wifi connection via your laptop (or a friend's) and see how the speed is, that might be a good option... but again like he said, you are then subject to having zero connection if the owner of the wifi decides on a whim to lock it up or turn it off for any reason.  Plus, if it is a place like Starbucks, you're subject to slow speeds during their peak usage.

Good luck!

10 (edited by Russell_Harding 2010-09-14 16:37:55)

I think I will contact my cell phone carrier at&t and see if they have a package for my phone and computer and then get the dongle dingies and give Roadrunner the axe thanks for all the suggestions and info I at least have a clear picture smile

well I just called my at&t representative and here's the scoop for $14.95 I get a one year 3.5 MB upload which can handle anything from my mp3's to videos they will send me a modem which cost $85  on the 16th which includes a $85.00 rebate so the modem winds up free and all I have to do is plug it in and connect to my desktop and activate it from my cell phone then I can call the folks at Time Warner and discontinue my account so for the next year till a better plan or one of equal value comes along I will be saving $25.00 a month or $300 for the year and I am also eligible for a new LG phone upgrade free so I can buy more ice cream ahh life is good lol

Saving money to get more ice cream sounds like an AWESOME PLAN!  My favorite this month is Mint Panda Paws!  wink

Which LG phone?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I dont know I havent visited the online store yet,I already have a LG phone from the last upgrade free so if theres some new goodies available that I think would work for me I can order it online free smile

jerome.oneil wrote:

Which LG phone?

Hey Russell,

Avoid the LG Voyager series...  the front touch screens are really fragile!  Mine cracked from sitting in the sun at 4 months, and it wasn't warranty covered.... "you must have pushed too hard or hit it against something".  Naturally I have insurance on it, but I have waited until the screen is so bad that you can't see the numbers to dial, and now I'm going to get a new one.  Here's hoping they have got past that weakness (there were lots of postings in the forums for that issue).  Blackberry phones require a data plan (additional cost), and really the LG smart-phones do too to get the most out of the features.  Seriously thinking about Anderoid as an alternative because of the software available that is not based on the BREW (Java derived) operating system, Verizon has locked BREW to the point that you HAVE to buy apps from them at greater cost than others out there. The strongest suit LG has is long battery life though..... something in the neighborhood of 10 days of standby.

HTC makes some nice phones also worth looking into.

Just my $.02

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I did look at a few Phones today after talking with the rep from at&t there were some unexplained charges on the order and I straighted it out so it looks like I will be wireless on the 16th as soon as everything is working ok I can cancel roadrunner I will divert all my emails to my gmail account with google hopefully no problems with reception but I am going to wait till after the new service is working right before I cancel if it dont then I still have what I had and I will notify at&t that is our agreement I really need to look at all the free phones that dont have any fees connected there is quite a choice Doug I will keep in mind your advice smile

The company I work for provides the Socialite application and social networking connectivity for LG.  So get one of those, so I can get paid.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Jerome I will keep that in mind I have a LG from at&t its very reliable in a way I dont want to part with it as its taken me a year to understand how to use it lol