Topic: Hacked off LEFTY

I have been looking at moving up to a better quality guitar for some time as I have an entry level Tanglewood and would really like something with a little better action,  I was talking about this last week and my eldest son suddenly said "Let's go and have a look at some guitars for you at the weekend."  He even offered to pay half the cost.

Imagine how excited I was travelling to our local music shop - until I got there that is.  We walked in and had a look around at the hundred or so guitars on the racks there were all kinds of nice looking guitars there but I couldn't see any lefties so I asked the manager.  He said there is no demand but we do stock a few and he directed me to a rack way at the back of the shop which held a Squier strat and a Johnson entry level acoustic.  When I tackled him about the total lack of choice for lefties he informed me that I am in the minority and I would have to make do with what was available.  He even suggested that I should buy from the internet.  When I asked him if he would buy a guitar he had never tried he said "No but I would have no choice if I was left handed."

By this time I was biting my tongue hard but in an effort to make the trip worthwhile I asked him about doing some setup work on my current guitar.  I was astonished when he said I would be better off burning my Tanglewood, as it wasn't worth the expense, and told me I should buy the Johnson as it was the best he could do.  I told him I came in wanting to spend money on a half decent guitar but he didn't seem to cater for the odd 15% of the population that were left handed and I reminded him that some of the best guitarists are/were lefties - his response to that was "If you want to be Hendrix buy a normal guitar and play it upside down." 

At this point I had to drag my large son away from the shop because he was on the verge of treating the guy to the sensation of a guitar where the sun don't shine.  All in all a bad weekend and more proof that customer service in the UK is dead.

Ian

All things good to know are difficult to learn.
Greek Proverb

Re: Hacked off LEFTY

Rondo music has a fair amount of lefties. You should try them out. I've bought several there (on line only). rondomusic.com is their site. Good stuff cheap

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, Ian.  How far is it to a large city?  Maybe you and your son should have a day out and a little travel.  Maybe call some shops in the larger cities to see if they have some left handed guitars first.  It would be well worth the trip, I am sure.  And a little bonding with your son for a day.  On the other hand, I have bought two guitars ont he internet.  I generally don't do that, but if you really research some good brands and find out how people like them, you might find something nice for a better price.  I know it is a chance you take, but After lots of research, I found some nice guitars that I didn't get to play before purchasing.  Just some ideas.  Good luck to you

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

One would think that if your music store was oriented toward customer service, the dealer would show you his/her line of instruments and then offer to check to see if the instrument was available in a left hand version...many if not most are! Then he could order one for you.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

bensonp wrote:

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, Ian.  How far is it to a large city?  Maybe you and your son should have a day out and a little travel.  Maybe call some shops in the larger cities to see if they have some left handed guitars first.  It would be well worth the trip, I am sure.  And a little bonding with your son for a day.  On the other hand, I have bought two guitars ont he internet.  I generally don't do that, but if you really research some good brands and find out how people like them, you might find something nice for a better price.  I know it is a chance you take, but After lots of research, I found some nice guitars that I didn't get to play before purchasing.  Just some ideas.  Good luck to you

I bought one off the internet as well. I was very lucky to have such a posative experiance. I knew the brand and model I wanted before i bought it. I dont know if you can do that without knowing what you want. Good luck, keep us posted.

Pete

You rekindled my faith re buying a guitar over the web so I sat down to do a bit of research.  Most of the companies online in the UK at least deal almost solely in Aria's, Tanglewoods and Yamahas for left handers - even a company trading as lefthandedguitars.co.uk who are touting a guitar made by robots with fibre glass bracing (i'm skeptical about that one).  BUT the search may have been worth it.  I've just come across a company on the internet called Left Hand Bear, a UK company, who are selling an exclusive range of acoustic guitars that are also exclusively lefty and designed by Paul Beard and Wayne Rogers of Gold Tone (they that make banjos and mandolins).  They seem to be in my price range so I am going to start an email dialogue and get as much info as I can.  You never know a few weeks down the line may see a new guitar.

Ian

All things good to know are difficult to learn.
Greek Proverb

Well, Ian, I didn't necessarily want to sway you either way, or did I, but I have had two good experiences.  What can I say.  I do think it important to be able to feel it and listen to it before you buy, however, as I said, check out as much as you can and go to forums where people actually own and play these guitars and you can get a good idea of the guitar you are looking for.  It is certainly nothing to be ashamed of.  Let us know how you do.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Other dealers in the UK that I can recommend are:

Andertons in Guildford
Guitar Village in Farnham
GAK

All of these are excellent dealers with an online presence and huge stock of guitars who won't mess you around. I've brought from all of them and they are all very professional and customer orientated. Your local dealer isn't the only one with a choice, you do too, use somebody else and let him know you're using somebody else, don't even use him for picks and let your mates know as well. Dealers like that we can do without.

Hope you find what you're looking for

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

What a horrible experience Ian!  I'm really sorry to hear that.  May I suggest never going into that store again, not even to buy a pick?  That surely is some of the worst customer service I've ever heard of.  When buying online, just make sure their return policy is golden... they will allow you to return the guitar for any reason or no reason.  Geo suggested Rondomusic because they do have great guitars and will allow a return for any or no reason.  Their customer service is really great (but I think they are US based... so I'm not sure how prices will fare coming to the UK).  Good luck and keep us posted!  I also like the suggestion of going out for a day trip to a larger city and checking out some other shops.  THAT sounds like an awesome way to spend a day!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.