Topic: Introduction

Greetings from Cottage Grove Oregon!  I should have posted this intro before I posted a question, but I good at doing things backwards...

I'm just an old, short, fat, bald guy trying to get along.  But you know what?  Life is full of surprises.  Who knew that after reaching my late fifties  that I would finally find the work I would like to have spent my entire life doing.  I guess it's not unprecedented though.  I read somewhere that James A. Michener, the writer, found a similar surprise in his life.  Evidently, he didn't realize he was a writer until he reached his fifties.   Well, I'm certainly not a writer, as this tiny effort clearly testifies, but I did find a love for and certain skill in the building of guitars.   It's a matter of wonder and great pleasure for me to build a guitar, and then be able to play it, and then, even a step further, write a song and play that.  And further yet, other people even like the way the guitars look, sound, and feel.  Amazing in the extreme... How I wish I had realized this propensity thirty, or even forty years ago.  How might my life be different  had I taken this road before... had I learned to be Luthier way back then instead of spending my life at seemingly frivilous work as I had until those few years ago.  A question for the ages, I guess.

TS Paxton

Re: Introduction

Welcome Tspaxton.  You know, most people never find that perfect work they enjoy and you have found it, albeit, late in life.  But late in life is relative, too.  At least you found your calling.  Just keep youself healthy as possible for the rest of your life and enjoy your work.  Liking the work is enough to keep you going for a long time.  A luthier among us.  Alright.  We are glad to have you aboard and look forward to your stories about making guitars.  Stick around and enjoy yourself.  You have earned it.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Glad you joined the group, Paxton! I just became a member this week, too, and you're gonna absolutely love it here!! That's great that you found a talent in guitar making! I, too, wish that I'd learned to play guitar years ago. Do you have a website where we could see some of you guitars?

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Good for you.  At 45 I'm still wondering what I'll be when I grow up.  Until I figure that out, I've got a good gig with good people.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Welcome to Chordie!! Can I borrow one of them there guitars?? LOL Just kidding

Hi, Folks ...

I was thinking that this was a website where I could post chord charts of various songs ... am I mistaken?

Miss Lily you may not post chord charts of copyrighted material in any forum on Chordie the only chord charts that can be posted are original songs in the songwriting forum I see this is your first post its well you asked first some dont,there are a quite a few songs indexed on Chordie if you search the songs may already be in the index. smile

Miss Lily wrote:

Hi, Folks ...

I was thinking that this was a website where I could post chord charts of various songs ... am I mistaken?

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Howdy Tspaxton! Glad to see another northwest musician join up. There are several of us that are
  members here in Wa. and Or. Matter of fact Doug Smith is just up the road from you. I am east
  of Portland an hour. We have lots in common:  old-short-fat-bald and play guitar,lol. Sounds like
  you have lots of ambition building guitars, good for you. Maybe someday I might get to check
  out your handy work.  Cheers,    Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Howdy and Welcome to Chordie!

It is nice to have another Northwesterner among the ranks!  Papaguitar is correct, Cottage Grove is just down the freeway from me here in Corvallis..... all my Beaver Alum Buddies will likely beat the crap out of me for saying this, but How About Them Ducks!!!

I also dabble in building instruments, and would like to see what you've done and perhaps compare notes and ideas one of these days.  Kinda envy our friends back East for being so close that they can get together fairly regularly and jam.... out here we are are all spread out in the big country and it would be difficult to arrange a big gathering.  But you never can tell, it'll get onto summertime before you know it.

Keep your spirits high, and your powder dry.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

A Big Chordie Welcome to you as well Miss Lily!

If you have some original work to share, we would be pleased to see it..... and judging from the responses I have read in the forum, you can feel assured that input from the congregation is kind, supportive and constructive.  That is one of the things that makes Chordie one of the best guitar sites on the net, the tremendous respect that is shared by each and everyone for their fellow members.  Kind of like a big Family.

So With That:

Happy Holidays Family!

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Welcome to you and any others I have missed. Chordie seems to be on the grow and I think that is great!
I think I finally found my niche in life. My wife asked me what I was going to do today and I said Nothing. She said that I did that yesterday. I told her I didn't get finished.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Hi TS,

Welcome to Chordie and please. post some pictures for us all to see, I'm sure we'd all love to take a look at your work.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Well, what a friendly bunch of folks!  Thank you for the nice welcome!
  I'm on facebook... The name is Terry Paxton.  There are a few photos of my guitars in the photo section . I'm not much of a photographer but the pics will give you an idea of things...

T

Here's the FB address... I think it'll get there...
http://www.facebook.com/terry.paxton#!/tspaxton

Oh, man... I'm not on Facebook so I can't see your page. sad

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

auxi wrote:

Oh, man... I'm not on Facebook so I can't see your page. sad

Wow, and I thought I was the only person in America not on Facebook!

Can pictures be posted here?

Absolutely.  Bring em on.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Tspaxton wrote:

Can pictures be posted here?

You may want to check this "How To" post

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14150

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

20 (edited by Tspaxton 2010-12-24 23:43:24)

Ok... here's a try at a few pics of #7,  Lady Firefly...  She's made of Cocobolo for the back sides and neck and Engleman Spruce for the top.  Hope you like her...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs493.snc3/26928_1395785464818_1537659072_31036990_6704563_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs513.snc3/26928_1395753744025_1537659072_31036852_629377_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs493.snc3/26928_1395753704024_1537659072_31036851_4333901_n.jpg

Fine looking guitar.  Thankds for sharing

Yes great work there TS, now maybe you could send us all one to try out, if it plays as beautiful as it looks I'm sure we'd love it. Again very nice work, you should be proud of yourself.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Thank all for the kind words... I really appreciate it...

Actually, she sounds better than she looks... great powerful bass with even mid and treble tones... lots of  volume...

Nice pixs! Don't forget I was the first one that axed to borrewy one!

Welcome to Chordie, Terry! I think you've come to the right place.That's a lovely looking guitar, btw, would like to see more! I'm not on Chordie as often as I used to be, but that's mostly due to Facebook, so I may well look you up there.
I'm in the UK, 50ish and also sadly lacking in hair up top. Also an average strummer with a liking for Norman guitars - hence the name...
Welcome to Miss Lily, too! Why not start a new thread & tell us all a bit about you?
Cheers, all!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic