Topic: Bar chords

I can make very good bar chords when I'm not moving up and down the neck of the guitar quickly. When I try to pick up speed,

my fingers have trouble staying on the strings in their correct positions. Any helpful suggestions?

Re: Bar chords

The only permanent cure is more repetitions of what you are working on.
It's important to maintain a steady rhythm. If you miss a chord, do NOT stop. Keep playing in rhythm and be right on for the next chord change.
When the song goes 'round again be laying for that chord you missed and make it next time.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Working at it over and over!!!

They are right on with the repetition.  The more you practice, the better your fingers, or muscle memory will get.  With lots of practice, your fingers will start automatically going to the right positions without even thinking.  It amazing really, how that works, but it does work.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

It seems obvious but, make sure you are releasing your grip before sliding to the next position and then reapply it. You will hear the term "muscle memory" alot. I believe that the more you apply your fingers to the fretboard, release, and reapply, the faster you develop that "memory" as well as build up strength. Just like the muscle memory develops in your fingers, it also develops in your arm. Soon you will feel the "distance" or interval from 1 to 4 to 5 (G to C to D for example) as well as hear it.

Practicing over and over.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Good advice from all...I would wonder if perhaps you are trying too hard and moving too fast? Starting slowly and deliberately and making sure the positions are correct and then practice, practice, and practice. Same way with scales! Also try practicing with a metronome...once the positioning and accuracy is there, then speed up!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.