Topic: Fly fishing and rivers and paddling and campfire concerts and such

Whitewater, Dirty Ed and I abused the kindness of Christiancastell and hijacked a thread regarding performing.  Now, given that most of my performing is done while pursuing fishing and paddling, there was a minimal connection, but not enough that we can't pretend it wasn't a hijack.  So I'm bringing it over here to continue the conversation, with apologies and thank yous to Christiancastell. 

Whitewater asked whether there are any fly-fishermen around.  I am one.  My father attempted to teach me long ago, but it didn't work out.  About ten years ago, I took it up again with less than enthusiasm.  However, one of the guys with whom I fish considers spinning rods to be the work of Satan, so I learned to fish his way.  Apparently my friend is unaware that the famous fly-fisherman Flip Pallot (first person ever to land a permit on a fly) regularly fishes with a spinning reel.  At least I got to get out.  Now I actually prefer fly fishing in most circumstances.  I've caught the largest of each of my target freshwater species while fly-fishing, with the exception of catfish, smallmouth and largemouth bass.  I will continue to work on the bass records this coming season.  Catfishing is not something I intend to pursue with a flyrod, despite having caught catfish on a fly. 

However, salmon, trout, and pike I have the largest all on fly rod - by a fair margin the largest too!

I have fly-fished in Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Colorado, and Alaska.  I would love to return and do the Colorado River again.  The headwaters are an amazing trout fishery.  I'd also like to get to Montana as much for the hikes in as the fish.  The pictures all look too beautiful to believe. 

In a few weeks, I will be attending an event where I hope to receive instruction (group instruction, but instruction never-the-less) from Lefty Kreh.  I have read his style and his four key elements and watched his Youtube videos and have learned a tremendous amount.  His book "Presenting the Fly" is a 400+ page book in which there is not one wasted sentence.  Every word is a rich nugget of information.  It is impossible to absorb the entirety of the book in a lifetime, so I have no idea how he learned it and wrote it in less. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Fly fishing and rivers and paddling and campfire concerts and such

Wow Zurf, you really like fishin' huh. My dad is a big fisherman. He's been fishin' all his life. When I lived at home I would go with him all the time. We lived in Georgia for a couple years awhile back. His dad bought us a nice pontoon boat and we went out EVERY weekend. It was really fun. My dad landed a 12 lb largemouth one one of those trips. But now my fishin' trips are few and far between. I try to get my son out every once in a while just so he can be outside, like a little boy should be. We just end up fooling around with bluegill and warmouth. We have fun though and that's what matters.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Zurf, I felt kinda bad about wrecking the thread.

As to fly fishing, I am an avid fly fisher. My late grandfather taught me to roll-cast when I was a wee tad, and I've never stopped. I tie my own flies, too!

As to species caught, apart from most of the trouts and salmonids, I have landed smallmouth and largemouth bass, pike, muskie, carp, catfish, panfish, whitefish and yes, even walleyes! I live near one of the greatest freshwater fisheries in the world, and regularly catch walleyes on the fly rod. If you've ever been jig fishing for walleyes, and they suddenly stop feeding, and you notice a few million mayflies buzzing around, switch to a sink tip line and fish mayfly emergers. The walleyes will be gorging themselves on them, and are easy to catch!

This condition doesn't occur that often, a few times a month, but a clue is to watch the barometer, when it starts to dip, just before a cold front moves in, mayflies will be hatching in the millions. Good times watching the hardcore walleyers freak out when I start landing them on the fly rod.

It would be interesting to organize a little trip down the Mississaugi River, perhaps next summer, 2012, before the apocolypse. ;o)
If there is any interest, let me know and I will get to work organizing.

The upper stretches of the Mississauga, from Aubrey Falls down to Pig Pen Chute has incredible brook trout fishing in early summer, and from the chute down is world class smallmouth and walleye water. The campsites are a bit spread out, but the scenery is terrific, and the river seldom runs more than a few miles from a highway. The road can only be seen in a few places, and it has lots of class II and III pool and drop runs that are tons of fun without being too difficult. The entire trip is about 100 kms or so, and can be run in 4 days, but I like to stretch it out for a week or so, cos' I'm lazy.

Check it out, folks, and get back to me about it!

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Sounds interesting.  As a family man, it is difficult for me to get away for a week.  Whenever I can get outside and take a trip, I always like to bring my munchkins along.  They are not ready for class 2 & 3 water (though I'm working on it).

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I took my own kids down this river when they were barely toilet trained. It's not very difficult, and the river, in the runs, is fairly shallow and warm, particularly in July. PFD's and flexi-leads work wonders for small ones in a canoe. Best part is NO portages, it's all runnable and fairly easy, no mid-stream manouevering, the channels are all "straight" downriver, average depth in the runs in about 2-3 feet, 20 to 30 in the flat stretches.

Lots of time until summer 2012 to plan and train. It's a great learning run, though, since there is no ferrying or such required, more like an extended log-plume carnival ride.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"

Hmmmmmmmmm.

If there's interest in a July 2012 get-together, I can also set up a trip that is very easy, lake travel only and with easy portages, instead of a river run. I am more than willing to organize the nuts and bolts of it, ie booking rooms for the arrival and departure days, menu, route, safety, equipment and so on. Would cost about $100.00 or so per person, depending on which route we use and so on, perhaps as low as $50=75, if no hotel rooms are involved.

Let me know, folks, if there is interest - the river route could accomodate up to about 20 people, the lake route a few more, campsites on both routes are roomy enough for 6-8 tents. So, reply in this thread, and I will start organizing, or you can email me at: whitewater55@yahoo.com and I will respond promptly. Could be a real fun time, I think...

I think this would be fun - but it's too early for me to plan.  Also, I want to get my kids on the water and camping more this summer.  I have refused to get them into any long-term water-based activity until they were able to swim and be comfortable in water with current.  We're there with my eldest, but the youngest has a bit to go. 

Where are you thinking?  I looked up the Mississauga River on Google Earth and it appears to be rather long.  Also, there's more than one, it seems. 

This is a very exciting prospect.  I'll have to talk to Mrs. Zurf about it, of course, but I will admit to saying that my interest is piqued - especially the lake as I don't know that my kids will be up to much of a bumpy river.  It seems that when we chat about the trip on the way home or during break-down at the takeout that the parts I find to be interesting are the parts they did not like.  They like the long slow pools where they can see turtles and birds and there's the prospect of jumping out or having a splash battle. 

- Zurf

I was out in the garage and asked my Penobscot 16 if she was ready for a new adventure.  As soon as she heard me mention the possibility of paddling the "river with a wide mouth" I could see her gunnels quiver with excitement.  Heck yes I'd be interested in joining a group if y'all wouldn't mind having an aging Buckeye tag along.  Too bad we're not talking about July 2011.  I've got a river fishing trip lined up every month this year except for July and was looking for somewhere to go.

I'm really not much of a fly flinger, as I prefer using spinning gear.  I build my own rods and some of the baits I toss.  I do own a 6 wt fly rig I use occasionally and although I've caught a few bass and panfish with it, I mostly use it for tossing corn to carp when our local streams are low.  A 10# carp on a 6 wt  is an adventure.  I also own a Fenwick 3 wt trout rod and reel I received for my 35th anniversary at work, but it is still in the tube and never been used as we don't fish much for trout locally and I'll admit I'm just not very good with a long rod.. My main passion is pursuing smallmouth and in most years I have had fishing licenses from 5-7 states as well as Canada. I caught a 19" smallie while wading  a small (30cfs) local stream on New Years Eve last month, and although she wasn't close to the biggest ones I've caught, that pretty girl will live in my memory forever.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Thanks for the nickname Dirty Ed.  I was able to narrow down the river and check it out on Google Earth.  That sounds GREAT if you think children would be suited for it.  My children are familiar with rivers and with camping, but not river camping.  Nor am I for that matter - it having been decades since I have done it.  Having someone knowledgeable to guide us in the pursuit would be tremendous. 

I'm not sure what the border considerations are, though for safety's sake I suppose passports all around would be the best preparation. 

I will be mentioning this to Mrs. Zurf once we have had the children on the river a time or two this year and she can see how they like it.  It's tough getting them out there sometimes, but once we do there are always smiles all around. 

In that you are shy of something for July 2011 DE, you should get in touch with Roger, whom you met at RSCR last year.  He has been bugging me to do a river trip with him and I'm sure he'd be eager to arrange something.  Maybe you could do it on the Shenandoah and wrap up by joining us at the Shenandoah Rodeo in Bentonville.  I'll send you the e-mail info. 

- Zurf

Okay, but I think it will be near impossible this year. I am totally committed through until November of 2011. My wife and I are going on a fly-in fishing trip for the first two weeks of July. I would get killed if I messed that up. We've been saving for this for like 5 years now. I wish...

Sorry to butt in on a convo between you guys, but i'm a fanatical fly fisher as well. I'm down in New Zealand. My favourite river is the Tongariro which comes down fast and icy cold off a volcanic plateau and is the home to some great rainbow trout. I love the solitude and the battle wits with a cunning trout that fly fishing provides, followed by a hot pie and a pint of beer at the local bar. Heaven on earth!

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

Change of plans.  We're all going to visit TwangTown.

I'm with Zurf - let's go and see Twangtown! Ahh, what the heck, Whitewater too. I like the cut of cj-5's jib as well...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Zurf, I will be in touch through emails and such, depending on interest.

I'd like to ideally take 12-25 people on a little wilderness adventure, daytime paddling and swimming and fishing, evening jams by the fireside, under the blanket of stars, on a good night, the northern lights dancing above us. That is my idea of heaven.

Hope some others express a real interest, like I said, I am more than willing to organize and plan it. Doing it via email will work for a time. Let's see who is really interested, and go from there. July of 2012, somewhere in the vicinity of Elliot Lake, Ontario, Canada, as close to God's country as it gets. 

Anyone interested, email me at: whitewater55@yahoo.com.

Thanks
Randy

Sounds great. Just a job, a family and an ocean make it a bit tricky. Oh well, nearly time to get my kayak and fly rods out here anyway. And here's the ideal guitar to take
http://www.blackbirdguitar.com/rider_steel.html
(is carbon fibre waterproof or at least damp proof?)

There is no way in hell that I would take a $1000.00 guitar on a canoe trip. There are 100,000 ways to wreck an expensive guitar, canoe camping. My personal favourite is a real el-cheapo, chinese made, 1/2 size classical-style acoustic. It plays well, has good bottom and if it gets broken on a trip, it's now a $25.00 bundle of kindling, and no tears shed.

18 (edited by flester 2011-02-05 12:37:52)

I was kind of joking about the blackbird.
Maybe carbon fibre will get cheaper one day. Guitars don't always have to be made of wood. When carbon fishing rods came out they were begabucks, now they are less so.

I think you should bring the carbon fiber guitar along and use it as a paddle just to show how impervious they are.  Up until you hit the first rock. 

- Zurf