Topic: Tuning question

So I a got a tuner and thought that I tuned my guitar.  My buddy comes over and tells me that while the strings sound almost right, it's the wrong pitch (octave is it ?).  So how do I know if I need A3 or A2 etc?  Any guidelines on this?

Re: Tuning question

A will be 440hz.  Depending on what tuner you have, some will also produce the tone for you.  I have two Korgs that do this.  After a while, you'll be able to tell by ear.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

<font color="royalblue"></font><b></b>I agree with Jerome on 440hz. If you have your tuner instructions or can download them then check the mode. Some tuners will allow you to set the tuner out of pitch so that you can accurately tune to other instruments... Example: lots of the old church pianos we use are a 1/2 step or so out of standard tuning...we'll set our tuner to the piano and then tune to it. I hope that makes sense...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Sounds like you cranked your strings up too tight and tuned an octave higher. The giveaway should be that the strings are terrificly hard to hold. A girl in my guitar class did this last year so it's quite possible to do. Once you get used to the tautness the strings should have you can get them close before tuning.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Well yeah, but the problem is that the tuner still indicates correct tuning, as long as an E sounds like an E to it it doesn't seem to care what octave it is in.  I guess liek you said it just comes with experience.

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText"><b>yawgmoth wrote on Wed, 11 April 2007 23&#58;27</b></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
Well yeah, but the problem is that the tuner still indicates correct tuning, as long as an E sounds like an E to it it doesn't seem to care what octave it is in.  I guess liek you said it just comes with experience.
</td></tr></table>

The Korg tuner I linked to tells you.

You get an A2, for example, indicating that the 2nd string is in tune.   D3, G4 etc...

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

There are tuners on some guitars, I main the tuning knobs, who are difficult to use. Your guitar is tuned, but it is not staying in tune, I even got this problem with GIBSON's I had a gibson studio and every 3 song, I needed to tune it again and this is not very funny, especialy having an expensive guitar.

The best thing you can do is what the other members told. Buy a tuner, korg has them to name 1 brand. I have a few tuners, like in my amp, a fender cybertwin, also I have a fender tuning machine, I use it a lot, but you just see the letter of the string you tuned. You are better of, if you have a guitar tuner. It is strange that when I tune my guitar with my amps or devices like korg pandora,(cheap and a lot of built-in effects, drum and bass too), and or with a classic tuner, that sometimes everything is very well tuned but that you see a difference between my classic tuner, still with a needle and the tuner in your other devices like the tuner in my floorbord or my amp tuner. You van als maket a bit easier, or simple by using the tone have, if you phone to other people, to tune it. If you are blessed with a musical "EAR", you just need 1 chord, to tune your guitar. Take the big string, and push on the chord on the 5-th fret, repeat this for all chords except for the 5-th string where you have to put your finger on the 4-th string on the 4-th fret, they have to sound the same, that is one of the reasons why I mentioned "musical ear" . I hope this was helpful and if you search with google, tuning guitars, you will all the things you need, there is even a site where they show you how to tune a guitar. If I am not wrong  I saw it on youtube.

Goodluck

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]