Topic: intimidating

Hi. I am new to this forum, but am familiar with chordie's great selection of music.  I started playing guitar about a year ago.  I play an acoustic  Washburn D-10S and just a few months ago bought another Washburn acoustic/electric WD10SCE.  I love them both and have had the opportunity of playing or "jamin" with a large group in my area.  It has been a great time and such a confidence booster.  I am going to be playing and singing with a few people on the weekend, I am scared to death....haha..I have been told I have a pretty good voice, but I can't seem to project it out.  Then to make matters worse..I can't seem to be able to play and sing together in front of people, but I can do it alone or just with one or two people.  Any suggestions??  Also I have started to take some more lessons to learn to pick...this is all pretty scary as I am over 50 and a female...If you have any suggestions I'd be greatful to hear them...thanks:)

Re: intimidating

Hi Alice and Welcome to Chordie!

Everybody has those moments, so don't feel like you are the only one.  You have been playing with at least a large group, so you have had the "cover" of the others....  you said that one or two is alright, so IF one or the other of those folks is also present, focus on them to bring yourself into that "comfort zone".

As for the playing and singing together part, that comes with practice and knowing the music well enough to remember all the lyrics and chords so you are not as concerned about losing your place in the piece.  There is no harm in having your music sheets on a stand in front of you for quick reference as needed.  I think I'm not alone in carrying a huge binder around in the gig bag, it's the next best thing to rehearsals when that is not an option.  Jam sessions tend to be more of a learning exercise and social gathering so nobody expects a concert quality performance anyway.

Take Care and thanks for posting;
Doug
(just an over 50 guy)

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hi Alex!  Welcome to the forums!  Please take a moment to read the stickies at the top of each section and familiarize yourself with the forums.  I'm thrilled to see you jumping right in with a little info about yourself.  For future reference you posted this in the "music theory" section and as an intro it would have been better in the Chat section.  No worries, the mod in this section may move it for you.

I've been signing in front of people for as long as I can remember but I still need a few drinks to relax enough to do it... add the guitar and the worries about screwing up get even bigger, so I'm sure there's a lot of nerves in there.  Play something you know well, VERY WELL, and bring the music along set out in front of you just in case!  GOOD LUCK!!

Amy
(an under 50 female wink nice to see another gal around here, we seem to be a bit of a minority but they guys here are so very kind!)

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

oooops... typo up there... I typed Alex, meant Alice (my son's name is Alex, I think my fingers went into auto mode on that one!  SORRY!!!)

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Dear Ms.Alicep, projection is only a matter of "aiming" your voice at the person or place you are singing to (or at). If you call out to a person in the back of the room, you speak louder and focus your sound that distance away so you can be understood at that distance. It's a natural thing and with practice, projecting your voice will become automatic.
Singing, like talking, is communication. It's good to take your mind off yourself and your technical challenges and just focus on a person or group a distance away and be sure they are getting your musical message.
This also helps with stage fright or performance anxiety. Singing and playing to a target outside yourself with a song you know really well enables you to put your guitar strumming on automatic and concentrate on communicating an emotion and personal message to someone and see that they get it.
Try it. It works.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

6 (edited by Guitarpix 2011-04-09 13:07:23)

tubatooter1940 wrote:

Dear Ms.Alicep, projection is only a matter of "aiming" your voice at the person or place you are singing to (or at). If you call out to a person in the back of the room, you speak louder and focus your sound that distance away so you can be understood at that distance. It's a natural thing and with practice, projecting your voice will become automatic.
Singing, like talking, is communication. It's good to take your mind off yourself and your technical challenges and just focus on a person or group a distance away and be sure they are getting your musical message.
This also helps with stage fright or performance anxiety. Singing and playing to a target outside yourself with a song you know really well enables you to put your guitar strumming on automatic and concentrate on communicating an emotion and personal message to someone and see that they get it.
Try it. It works.
toots

+1   This is great advice. I had the same problem projecting.... I never really sung to accompany my music in public (I have a friend that plays out with me and he always handled the vocals) I always did fine at home playing for myself and singing low to the wife but never really tried to be heard. So when I played with a group that wanted me to add vocals I was nervous and singing way too low. Played with Toots a few months back and he gave me this same advice and it's helped me lots! Now when I play at home I sing to this imaginary guy ( or cute young lady smile) in the far corner of the room and it's amazing how much it's helped with my projection and confidence when playing with a group...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Hey there and thanks to everyone who replied to me..great info and I will surely take the advice given.  who knows maybe I'll get through this afterall..Again....many thanks!!

Welcome Alice.  A common problem, singing and strumming chords.  Of course, lots of practice is the key, but I always find I do better when I concentrate just on the melody and make the chords second nature.  This comes with practice, but you will get it.  Some great advice above. Good luck to you.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hi alice and welcome,good advice fromthe other members,you might also have alittle wine,beer or other to help,but not enough to hamper your performing.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Welcome Alice. 

Brilliant advice Toots.  I'll give it a try.  I don't have any advice for Alice myself as I seem to have the same problems.  It's just fun to play, and so if others aren't having as good of a time as I do, I feel badly for them but it's not going to get in the way of my fun.  I guess that's not too empathetic. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Welcome Alice. 

Brilliant advice Toots.  I'll give it a try.  I don't have any advice for Alice myself as I seem to have the same problems.  It's just fun to play, and so if others aren't having as good of a time as I do, I feel badly for them but it's not going to get in the way of my fun.  I guess that's not too empathetic. 

- Zurf

Here Here

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

OK, so I tried Toots' advice and it works great.  I'm going to use that mental imagery from now on.  I've been singing to my autoharp on the shelf across the room and it says that it can hear me just fine. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Alice welcome to Chordie.  I had similar problem after barely learning to play the guitar my arms went all dumb whenever I tried to utter a word.  I broke the ice with Knockin on Heaven's Door.  Not sure why that one broke thru, but if you find one song that'll let you get used to opening your mouth and struming it seems to get easier.  Your on the right track with a group practice though.  Keep it up!