Topic: Help on writing songs.

I guess i just want to start writing my own songs, so i'd like some advice and tips from people who have.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Re: Help on writing songs.

Hi steelstrings,I am not good in this area,maybe daddycool or jets60 will check this post out , they are both pretty good.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

3 (edited by johnnyvitalis 2011-04-23 16:25:47)

I'm sure every-one has their own methods. Something that works for others may not feel right for somebody else. But you knew that answer was coming. My best advice would be to start carrying around a note-pad and pencil. Jot down lines about subjects you have in mind to write about,somebody will say something or you'll get a two line rhyme stuck in your head, etc.  Humm to your self alot!! just little la la la's and rythmns, pretty soon you will have lyric to follow the la la la's and the chord structure will fall into place as you make it go to, and say what you want it to. Sometimes it takes me three months to complete something then other times I've written three songs in one day. Good luck and don't be too hard on your-self.
JohnnyV

On this very forum there is a poetry section! If you like writing down lines without thinking about melody, chords or rhythm too much then you could get some ideas for lyrics and post them there, then develop them.

Do have a topic or topics in mind? Or style?

hi steelstrings welcome to the chordie family,i started by reading through the songs posted,then the ideas flowed and i wrote eleven songs in two days,now i write about three a week,my last one my mate said he called his mum dibs and her name was elizabeth,i got a bit of inside info off her mum and wrote the song,basically you just need a topic to start and keep adding to it,"love "is always a good starting point,don't try to do too much at once,go at your own pace and enjoy what you're creating.....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

What do you do with your songs once you've written them?

steelstrings wrote:

I guess i just want to start writing my own songs, so i'd like some advice and tips from people who have.

Hi steelstrings
Basically I know of two ways to write a song.
One you got your words so you fit some music to go with them probabally some chord progession that fits the words you have in mind.
Two you got a chord progression you like maybe a melody etc then go find some words you like to fit if it's a song that's going to have lyrics.
I've written instumentals and the other type (ones with words). and I've started both ways though ususally it's the music that I have first.

What do you do with your songs once you've written them?
Well.....
You could just play it to yourself and think that's Cr## and bin it or think that's not half bad I'll keep and do nothing.
Play it to your friends/family see what they think. Post it up on Chordie. Maybe record it.... Post it on myspace/soundclick etc for the whole world to hear it.
It's up tp you.........  smile
ark

hi steelstrings,

i agree with everything written above.

my own method goes like this;

1) i may be practicing and a chord progression comes to my fingers followed by some words, they may not be sensible words but that matters very little at this point, as words can be re-written later.

i try not to think of a subject before hand, as that gets in the way quite often.

2) at work, i sometimes have a minute and a line or a fraze my come to mind, so i write it down (it's always handy to have pen and paper handy!). if you have a mobile phone with a recording fascility you can capture any tune on that for later reference.

3) keep a note pad and pen beside the bed. i get a lot of songs popping into my head as i wake in the mornings.

4) i allow the song to dictate the flow and/or story line. a song may seem to be heading in one direction in the first line, but by the 2nd verse it may be taking you somewhere far more exciting.

finally, dont concentrate on love songs or driving songs. or heart-ache or beer! a song can be about any subject you choose, so dont worry too much if it comes out as a story about your
sunday lunch.

most of all enjoy the experience

phill

ps, no-one gets it right first time

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Thanks everyone for the advice. smile