Topic: Is Eurovision still a SONG contest

I swallow my pride as a 'serious musician', steeped in centuries of Irish music and culture, and admit that I am vaguely proud of 'our boys' making it to the final of the above contest. But what kind of contest is it? If it were really a song contest then the songs should be performed by the same singer with minimal accompaniment, no fireworks or dancing.

Re: Is Eurovision still a SONG contest

It's a bit of fun, basically. But the voting is very annoying - totally political in bias. The UK never has a chance - everyone with the possible exception of Malta, hates us!!
Sorry, folks in the US, this will mean nothing to you, (but check it out if you can - it's a hoot) but there is a parallel to the Olympics, where the richest countries win more medals by throwing money and technology at certain events. For instance, the UK throws a lot of money at cycling, to develop the very best bike. Why not have a standard bike that everyone has to use - then we would actually see who is the best cyclist...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

The name Eurovision makes me laugh as now it has 43 countries competing many of which are not in Europe. Political voting has been the norm for many years getting to point of being absolutely blatant when the countries of the former USSR took part.
It's old left over from the sixties when perhaps the song actually did mean something.
A song contest it is not but a sort of tongue in cheek crass media hype devoid of any true musical value.
I guess the only thing that's kept it going over the years is the money tied up with the sale of the artist and the banal songs..

Millions watch it and buy the winning song So Who am I.....................

i have not watched or been interested in this farce for many years, but i heard one important point on the devils radio today which is that the song that won it last year for germany, words by an american, music by a dutch person (i think)  and sung by a german girl (possibly!).

a previous spanish winner was called "y viva espana" which was neither written or sung by a spaniard. you'd think the basic rule would be to enter a song written and performed by nationals of the country entering it?

confused???

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Best Eurovision act EVAR...

http://www.denofgeek.com/siteimage/scale/800/600/72763.png

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Looks like some aliens invaded earth!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

Looks like some aliens invaded earth!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh3hj9-J … re=related

Well they did in 2006 though they came from Finland and won...

Personally I thought it was one of the better winners. (Finland does love it's Death Metal) Political voting went out of the window that year. I guess the voters from other countries bemused thought we were being invaded so went on the side of caution and voted for the Klingons..  lol

Confession Time!!

A few years ago and in another life my ex wife, Dawn, and her mate, Bridget, loved Eurovision and one boozy saturday night, after a crate of beer, me and Bridgets husband agreed to go to the next Eurovision which was being held in Estonia.

Much against my better judgement we went and in all fairness had a great time. The music aside, the whole thing is just a huge European party, with a largely gay and cross dresser following, which, although I'm neither just added to the laughs. When we arrived in Tallinn, HMS Chatham was in port showing the flag and we ended on the lash with some of the boys from the ship. The following day we got a private tour of the ship which was pretty cool.

Can't remember how the UK got on but we did end up having a pre show beer with the legend that is Terry Wogan and finished up at the Irish after show party, (something not to be missed!)

Overall for the music it's a complete waste of time but as a party it's a corker!!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

so glad there's an up-side....terry wogan...really?

the worst thing my wife makes me do is watch "come dine with me", from australia....not quite as bad as eurovision, but a close second!

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

10 (edited by dino48 2011-05-14 17:34:46)

I hope they keep all this in europe,we have our hands full in the us right now with all the illegal imagrant problems we are having.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

i think euro is fixed ,all the foreign countries vote for their neighbours,does'nt matter what the song was like as long as they give each other votes,been like that for years,thats not competing when its fixed....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Not that I care, but I think it's more a case of cultures, neighboring countries will always vote for each other because of language, culture and musical tastes are similar... plus they all hate the UK!

normtheguitar wrote:

....For instance, the UK throws a lot of money at cycling, to develop the very best bike. Why not have a standard bike that everyone has to use - then we would actually see who is the best cyclist...

Norm, I raced for 15 years to a pretty good level competing in a few national champs, British Cycling invests the vast majority of funds into rider development.  The UCI pretty much have a strangle hold on bike development so at the very top level bikes are almost identical anyway, the bike would contribute to a fraction of a percent.  Sorry to go off topic ;?)

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000