Topic: Scales

What's the point of scales? I printed some from this site. I think it was called like 'Thirty normal and odd scales', or something like that. Is it just to exercise my fingers?

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Re: Scales

Read this auxi.  It will explain better.
http://www.ehow.com/facts_6821710_purpose-scales.html

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Scales are the foundation of everything you can do on a guitar.   Ever seen a dude sit down and play with a group of people he's never played with before, or wonder how a guy can rip out turn arounds and fills on demand?   Scales help you do that.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Thank you Ben and Jerome. Very helpful!

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

It is good exercise.  Also you can't figure out a solo with scales. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

And don't forget that scales are very helpful for protecting the insides of a fish, unless you're using a scale to weigh the fish then it might mean it is going to be eaten which is not a good thing for the fish. Scale inside a boiler can be problematic, but using a ladder to scale a wall can solve a problem.  A scale on a map is good for trying to figure out how far you need to drive to meet up with other Chordians for a music Jam.  If you're a good enough guitar player to earn union scale, that is also a good thing.  Planning some Chordie get-togethers such as Zurf has been doing and other plans done on a grand scale is also wonderful.

Guess in the future I should scale-down my replies ...............

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

To dirty ed.Scales also remind me of how much weight I gained since I quit smoking.They also remind me how much weight I have to lose since I quit smoking.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Excellent reply Ed.  I was going to use a "learning algebra" analogy but you seem to have nailed it.

Now available in 5G !

9 (edited by tubatooter1940 2011-05-23 08:28:09)

Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

True, sir, but you can use a scale to figure out which notes are fair and foul when preparing your solo.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Scales are essential for playing lead guitar. There are many different types of scales and I'm no authority on all of them.
I stick to the extended major and minor pentatonic and the Phrygian scales myself. I don't have a daily use for the rest of the scales when I play.

Oh yeah, once you know your guitar scales (or a few of them) you can transfer that knowledge over to the BASS Guitar!!
So learning it for the guitar really gives you the benefit of two-in-one!!

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

tubatooter1940 wrote:
Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

True, sir, but you can use a scale to figure out which notes are fair and foul when preparing your solo.
toots

I meant to say WITHOUT scales.  Sorry.  That was a really bad typo to make. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Had me scratching my head!    wink

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Thanks everybody for your help!

I'm still a little confused at how scales and the solo of a song are connected (I know that's probably a no-brainer for most of y'all). Does anyone know of a site or something out there that might help me understand it?

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

www.justinguitar.com

Go to the lessons on scales. 

Most rock solos are done on the minor pentatonic scale and most country solos are done on the major pentatonic scale.  Folk and blues kind of smash the two scales together and use what sounds good. 

- Zurf

Thanks so much Zurf!

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

16 (edited by Sindbad 2011-06-02 17:35:23)

Zurf wrote:

.. Also you can't figure out a solo with scales. 

- Zurf

I don't really agree with this.  It is entirely possible to belt out a solo that has beautiful fitting colour tones and harmonies without knowing scales, also without knowing much in Musical Theory. I will agree that it is EASIER with that knowledge, and it is also GREAT to have all scales at your command. It just isn't something that is truly necessary. (Again, I still agree everyone learn all the chords and scales they can absorb.  Also, Jazz Musical Theory, that is a selfish request.)

Play the feeling; "Sun shine through the blinds" or "Lack of Sleep". 
--------------------------------Also, "Gsus" Heh.------------------------

Howdy to
Sinbad...  nice to have another Pacific Coast Member around these parts!

Scales are the basis of music, without them you couldn't build chords and naturally the melodies that go with them.  Our venerated Theory Guru Jerome said it once, I think and it still applies.  Something about lead riffs have to be built from the notes of the scale related to the chord, and if you miss the note you intended, you are only one fret away from where you  wanted to go.  The trick is in correcting your error and making it into an "arrangement" rather than an error....  Bend it or slide it to fit and most folks won't even notice that you missed.  Or stomp on the overdrive pedal.... that works too! LOL.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

The "one fret away" bit of wisdom is rightfully credited to Shawn Lane.  He played so fast you would have hardly noticed if he missed a note, but credit where it's due. I'm just the messenger.

I would challenge anyone to just "belt out a solo" without understanding key signature and the scales that back it.  You might be able to do that if you're playing someone else's songs, or if you're playing everything in one key, but generally speaking, you're going to miss a whole lot of notes if you don't.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

The "one fret away" bit of wisdom is rightfully credited to Shawn Lane.  He played so fast you would have hardly noticed if he missed a note, but credit where it's due. I'm just the messenger.

I would challenge anyone to just "belt out a solo" without understanding key signature and the scales that back it.  You might be able to do that if you're playing someone else's songs, or if you're playing everything in one key, but generally speaking, you're going to miss a whole lot of notes if you don't.

On belting out a solo - It matters not whether the soloist knows it, if he/she is 'belting out a solo' and the notes work, he/she has used scales to do it.  Whether through the artist's practice or intuition, it was a scale that allowed the solo's notes to flow together.  So, if you haven't got the kind of intuition it takes to do it, practice scales.

I think I can like you Zurf.

Play the feeling; "Sun shine through the blinds" or "Lack of Sleep". 
--------------------------------Also, "Gsus" Heh.------------------------