Topic: Chain Saws

I am contemplating the purchase of a new chain saw to clean up the 4 pine trees on the ground in my back yard. I have a couple of cheap saws but I find I am wearing myself out trying to keep them running long enough to cut anything. I have read many reviews and am leaning toward a Stihl with a 45 cc engine and 18" bar or a Husqvarna with a 46 cc engine and an 18" bar. The Stihl is about $20 cheaper and their seem to be many more die hard Stihl fans willing to write reviews for their saws. Does anyone have any experience or opinions to share?

Re: Chain Saws

Fender vs. Gibson isn't an option on this one huh?

No, that would be an easy choice!

I have a Stihl and have had good service from it.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Pine trees are hard on any chain saw, make sure the cutting edges are sharp. Pine will scorch the cutting edges and dull the chain

6 (edited by dino48 2011-05-29 01:31:44)

hey southernrockr, you might try calling a tree cutting service in your area and asking them which one they prefer.I have heard good about both brands,no negitives.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hey S-R, I live in logging country in the pacific NW and either one will do you a great job.
  Both a popular. I own a stihl 029 and have cut a lot with it. I went with a 24" bar. Less
  strain on the back bending, reaching etc. The 029 is also called the "farm boss". Been
  working good for me since 93. Be careful, those things can bite!      Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Hi S-R, I've got both, a Stihl with a 14" bar for light work and a Husqavarna with a 24" bar for the bigger stuff. Both brands are quality saws but I've found that Stihls stay easier to start as they get older! Don't forget your safety gear, as papaguitar said, "those things can bite!"

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

The hubster says they are both comparable.  He's always liked Stihl but he's got a Husquvarna that he likes.  He figured the Husquavarna would be cheaper than the Stihl for some reason, so with that in mind... since the Stihl is cheaper maybe it's a better buy.  He also says... if he was buying, he'd just pick the one that feels lighter in the hand.  On the other hand... Pine will gum your chain up, and may not be smart to "ruin" a new saw by cutting up pine trees.  A new chain will be cheaper in the long run. 

I personally know NOTHING.  LOL!  Good luck... Maybe you should learn the lumberjack song so you'll have something to do when you're all done!   LOL!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Wow, chain saws and guitars.  Gives me a bad visual.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

LOL ben keep the chain saws away from the guitars and the wife away from the chain saws, if'n she's mad at you!!

pete, that gives me a bad visual also!!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I've only owned Stihl, but they've lasted forever.  I've still got my dads that he bought in 1978.  Two stroke that runs like a champ.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

bensonp wrote:

Wow, chain saws and guitars.  Gives me a bad visual.

At Woodstock '94,   the band Jackel  had a chainsaw on stage that threw flames of fire, first time I ever seen
a chain saw on stage with a band. yikes,,,   

I have a Stihl.   great saw's.

badeye    cool

one caper after another

Thanks for the feedback. I expected to find fans of both but Stihl would be slightly favored. This just supports what I have read for user reviews online.

Whatever you do,dont buy a poulan at wal mart.JUUUUUNK.I have one.Anyone remember Wendy O Williams cutting les pauls in half with a chain saw with the Plasmatics.Cool but wrong.I bet she didnt use a poulan.What would the texas chainsaw massacre movies be like if thet used a poulan.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

In my fire department we use the Stihls. We used to use a brand that was made for firefighting ( I do believe it was made by Husqvuarna) and the Stihls are far superior. I am also aware that many of the fireline sawyers use Stihls. I would also agree that getting a longer bar would make alot of difference. We use 24" bars on ours as it is easier to use. You don't have to bend over as mush to cut a roof and the greater amount of teeth on the chain cut faster.

+1 for Stihl

Logged for a year or so in my "younger years".... pre-commercial thinning (taking out everything 36" and larger), and also surveyed for the Dept. of Forestry.  Ran the "snot" out of an old 051 that you HAD to depress the compression release in order to yank.... fired every time and every day!  Finally died when my "cat-skinner" drove over the darn thing with a D8.... sad day. Got replaced with a huge Mac with a 48" bar which cut well but was waaaay too heavy to haul up the grades we were working on.  Convinced me that was no job to make a career of for sure!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

To accompany your new purchase and to quench your thirst, I recommend Coor's Light as decent and relatively safe "chain saw beer". It's weak enough you can drink one and still safely operate a chain saw.

LOL.

Back in my younger day we could not afford a chainsaw. For much of the time we used a double crosscut while logging the Sahara Forrest. Glad we finally finished that job.

Nela

I thought this site was more into axes??!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

You did a good job on the Sahara Forest, Nela.  You might as well call it the Sahara Desert now.  Kind of catchy, what?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

LOL we was so poor we use to gnaw them trees down!!!

Go Green - use a Beaver.

Nela