Topic: String Buzz

This repair might be of interest to some of you.

I had a guitar brought into the shop with several strings buzzing. The neck was straight and the bridge was rather high but on further inspection I found that someone had been lowering the action by filing down the nut - and going too far. I was struggling to find a replacement that would fit but then decided on another plan of action.

I have always been an advocate of guitars with a zero fret as they always have a low action. So I took a piece of fret wire which is a 'T' in profile and I filed of half of the top bar to make it an inverted 'L' shape. I removed the nut and fitted the modified fret between the fretboard and the nut like so:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2510/5851902423_4466607fe9_z.jpg

After lowering the bridge the action all along the fretbord was great and the customer was happy.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Re: String Buzz

Thats why I love Chordie - great info, tips and tricks.

Thanks for sharing.

Jamie R

Was playing six nights a week in bars. Not much money. My 1960 Gibson 330 had the slots in the nut worn down so low the strings started buzzing.
i loosened the offending strings and shoved a bit of wadded up bar napkin in the slot on the nut under each string and tightened her back up - raising each string high enough to stop the buzz. It sounded and worked fine for months until I could replace the nut.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Nice job Roger!!! My repair guy uses CA(cyanoacrylate, aka superglue) to build the grooves back up then files them to where they should be. I've heard this is a pretty popular trick.

BTW, how did you take that pic? I've tried to get a close up of my frets but to no avail. I have a decent camera but.....

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!