Topic: Custom Pick guard.

I am thinking of trying to make my own pick guard and matching truss rod cover.I have read where you can get pieces of Veneer  for a reasonable price. Has anyone else tried this and what materials did you use.?

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Re: Custom Pick guard.

I used lexan for mine.

However, I did have a mate on the Squire '51 board make me a pickguard from wood veneer.
It cracked in shipping but I was able to glue it back together. I haven't mounted it on the guitar yet because I love my pickguard that I made so much.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Haven't tried it, but it would be fun to.  Have you got a scroll saw?  I think that'd be all you would need.  The wood should be available on-line from a retailer like www.woodcraft.com or one of their competitors.  If you have trouble finding the wood, let me know.  My dad is much better informed on wood resources and I'd be happy to ask him on your behalf. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi Guys,

I've made a few mostly for friends and from exotic woods. There are folks out there that sell them for big $$$ (up to 80-90) and I can easily see where they can come up with those kinds of prices, wood being pricey and veneers sometimes only available in large sheets.

I feed mine through a surface sander to get down to thickness (breaks your heart to turn Bubinga or Rosewood into dust).  Direct application to something like an acoustic, works well at around .035", but for "suspended" guards like on semihollows, I bond the wood to .040" polycarbonate before cutting etc..  That way it has the strength to avoid breakage once it is bolted and screwed to it's attachment points.

Fun to do and the results are nice.... but very time consuming.

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I do have the saw and some veneer I got today.  I should have an idea how it's going to go in a couple of days.  About $20 invested in veneer, stain, glue, small wooden crosses and clear coat.Enough veneer for about 6 attempts. If one comes out good it will be worth it.If not it will be fun trying.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/crazyoldcoot/DSC00006b.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/crazyoldcoot/DSC00007.jpg

Well they actually look better than the pictures but I must say I am kind of pleased with my first attempt. I was afraid to spray too much clear coating on them for fear they would warp as they dried. Give me your honest thoughts on how they turned out. I can take it. AL

I think it looks good!  I don't think I could strum over those raised letters though, no doubt I would catch the pick or my finger on them and then swear a little.  Seems maybe it needs to match the color of some of the other darker wood on the guitar thought too to really look great.  How does the pick gaurd feel when you play with it on there???

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I hardly ever touch the pick guard so it has no effect on my playing at all.
Thanks for your thoughts.

awesome work!

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman101 wrote:

awesome work!

Dm

Thank you very much!