Topic: Slower downer software

Anybody have some recommendations?  I'm considering it, and would like free if it's really free rather than no-money-but-we're-going-to-mess-with-your-computer-and-send-you-all-kinds-of-junk-mail free. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Slower downer software

What on earth is slower downer software?

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

It slows down songs on your computer so you can better learn them. It does electronically to digital music what we used to do by having a friend pinch the tape on a reel to reel to hear something slow, except it doesn't affect pitch when you slow it down.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

4 (edited by bensonp 2011-08-16 15:58:22)

Mike Herberts in England has an app called Slomodirector that does just that.  It is not free, but it is a great program for slowing any music down without changing the sound of the music.  I can't remember the cost, but google it and check it out.  I have been meaning to buy it for some time, but just haven't gotten around to it.
There is a demo video here.
http://slomodirector.com/

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Audacity is a free download that will do it. You can do just about anything with Audacity but it takes ome getting use to. You can change speed, key, amplify or even remove voices in some cases. Russel Harding put me on to it maybe 2 years ago.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

deadstring wrote:

Audacity is a free download that will do it. You can do just about anything with Audacity but it takes ome getting use to. You can change speed, key, amplify or even remove voices in some cases. Russel Harding put me on to it maybe 2 years ago.

+1 I'm pretty sure you can import the mp3 into Audacity and slow it down.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

the amazing slow downer is awesome and integrates with your itunes library.

I have a slower downer computer period!,it is 11 years old and running  windows ME. Want too trade zurf?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hey zurf,
I'm using VLC media player to slow down music videos. A bit more versatile is "best practise" (free under GNU license). Best practise  takes a minute to install and seconds to be able to, to slow down, speed up or change pitch of .wav or mp3 files. Sound quality is not amazing but good enough for practise.
Minor disadvantage: it asks for a CD ROM drive (at least a virtual drive) to work. Don't know why. You don't have to use the drive to plax songs.
You can get it here:
http://bestpractice.sourceforge.net/ 

Cheers Helmut

deadstring wrote:

I used Audacity for a while, but when I got a Windows 7 computer, it didn't work with Windows 7 yet.  Have they fixed that? 

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:
deadstring wrote:

I used Audacity for a while, but when I got a Windows 7 computer, it didn't work with Windows 7 yet.  Have they fixed that? 

- Zurf

I don't know Zurf, I still have XP but maybe someone else will know.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

12 (edited by arkady 2011-08-17 18:15:47)

deadstring wrote:
Zurf wrote:
deadstring wrote:

- Zurf

I don't know Zurf, I still have XP but maybe someone else will know.

There is a newer version of Audacity for windows7 it's a beta release so it's still in development but works with the new windows.
You may have to uninstall the old one.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/beta_windows

ark

Fellow Chordies.....I ended up getting Song Surgeon after poking around and checking features and what not of several, including the others talked about here.

Seemed to the the best overall, more user-friendly and has the look & feel of Cool Edit and Pro Tools. A biggie for me was being able to downloading directly off YouTube.

I tried out the song surgeon demo and pretty much was sold...the money back guarantee didn't hurt! Doesn't matter what brand you decide on, slow down software is a must-have to improve quickly!

Here's a link to check out SS -- http://songsurgeon.com