Topic: Fitting Pure Mini pickup

Just wondering if anyone on here has any experience of fitting one of these? There are 3 transducers to be superglued under the saddle - I have all the instructions, but am a little nervous about actually doing it, so any tips would be mucho appreciated. I bought this in the States back in July and have still not got round to fitting it, much to my shame!
Cheerrsss!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Re: Fitting Pure Mini pickup

I've got the k&K mini in 2 of mine... It's pretty straight forward to install. Did yours come with the jig?  Either way you have 3 tranducers to be mounted on the bridge plate... One goes between the 1st and 2nd strings, one in the center between the 3rd and 4th string and one between the 5th and 6th.  Now I say between but they are mounted behind them, the between is just for placement reference, depending on the guitars bridge plate, they should be just behind (1/4 -1/2 inch) the bridge pin holes.   Just be careful placing them when you do it and don't press too hard to seat them initially. Once they are all were you want them you can really press them into place but keeping them fairly loose allows you to remove them (as long as you work fairly quick) if you happen to set the tranducers in the wrong place.  No worries though, even if you set them firmly they can still be removed and relocated so it's kinda hard to really mess it up smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Yes!  Nice little setup once installed. 
The only trick to putting them in (other than the tight space working by braille) is to make a template out of cardboard or similar material to properly center each transducer between each pair of strings under the saddle.  What I do is cut a piece and write "UP" on it and then using the outermost bridge pin holes as index points, punch the cardboard so that it can be fitted over the pins from beneath.
While set in place on the outside, draw a line across in line with the bridge, and three "X"s at the centerline of each of the string pairs.
Temporarily affix the transducers on each of those marks with double-sticky tape (clear so you can see your marks) with the surfaces to be glued to the guitar facing up.  Trim off any excess cardboard that might run afoul of any bracing etc that you feel inside.

Then all you have to do is to insert two of your bridge pins to align the guide you have made, apply the adhesive and get it all inside through the sound hole.  Align your template to the pins and press them in place before the glue dries.  You can tuck a folded towel or sponge in there if you like to hold it for awhile and after the glue is set, gently peel your cardboard guide off the pickups and route your wiring to the strap pin/plug assembly.

When drilling the hole for the plug, I use a "brad point" drill bit, although a Forstner would also cut cleanly.  I suppose a brace bit of the proper size would do as well if you wanted to do it carefully, but either way you would like to keep your feed pressure low to prevent grabbing and splintering the exposed wood grain. Hence the drill bit that cuts the perimeter of the hole first makes a nicer cut.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks, guys! I have an open-mic coming up on Sunday, so should really get on and do it!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

Doug gave a good description of how to mount the pickups. I might add that when drilling the hole for the end pin/plug putting masking tape over the area prior to drilling helps prevent the wood or veneer from splintering.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Another good tip, DE! Still not got round to actually doing it, though...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic