Topic: Noodling dilemma

Ok, we've talked about this before but I' still confused. I'm looking at improving with blues scales. I just don't understand the whole concept of making it up as you go. I have to play things in a pattern. So everything I play has been practiced. I find it hard to go up a few notes then two same notes with a bend then back down. Stuff like that. If I work on it for a while I can get it but that makes it a practiced pattern. I know how it sounds, I like it, and I want to do it. I just don't know how it's done. I guess my question is, within a given scale, how do you noodle around? Is it just experience? It's not practice because that's not noodling. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Thoughts????

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Noodling dilemma

Hey Z,
I might be off the mark here but if you know what notes belong to your key/scale then isn't it a question then of where on the neck they're played and in what order? Mix them up. Play arpeggios. Don't start on the root. Start on the 3rd or 7th. As long as you get to your target note at the end of the phrase it'll sound good. Throw in a couple of notes that don't belong for colour. Use chromatic runs to get where you're going. If you have two or three "patterns" that work mix the patterns up. Most people don't "just make it up as they go". They play "patterns" or licks that they've learned will work and give a sound they're looking for. As for noodling-that's playing within a framework and throwing things in to see... Sometimes you'll find something that is awesome and you store that away in your arsenal of licks. The listener won't generally care if you just played the same lick over again but backwards as long as it's pleasing to them. That being said, if you continually play the same "pattern" in every song they'll get bored and leave.

There's nothing right in my left brain and there's nothing left in my right brain.
author unknown

Thanks for asking Z, thanks for answering Sumadog. smile

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Well here's the thing.  You can play blues like John Lee Hooker or Lightning Hopkins who each played from the heart and made up his own timing for each song and you can play blues like Robert Clay or Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown whose songs are each note perfect and well-rehearsed, or the thousands of artists in between.  Do what you can, and play what you feel.  It doesn't have to be riffed out on the spot and free-flowing to be blues.  It just has to be real.   Best part, is YOU get to decide what 'real' means. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

You are a wise man, Zurf.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I figured it out. Just like learning a song, I needed someone to show me how to do it. I found a guy on Youtube that has some cool vids on licks and scales. So I just have to learn lots of those and then I can plug them in. I've already familiarized myself with a couple of 'em.

Here's who I found:
http://www.youtube.com/user/rotren

But I still want to do something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZcQvkyuw0g

Not in that style, sounds a little countryish. But playing chords and throwing in a lick. Like the description says, jam with yourself.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Both of those are very helpfull,thanks for posting them zguitar!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

you can also start by learning the solos of guys you look up to, then changing them a bit and making them your own.

9 (edited by craig23 2012-03-25 07:28:41)

Heres how it evolved for me...I would put on a blues album, figure out the key by sliding a bar chord around, then start playing the minor pentatonic scale, then quite haphazardly I would land on the same note as the artist, usually on a little descending lick that goes right down the scale, I would freak out that I just played the same thing as Hendrix or Clapton, and take note of where in that song that little lick was and then every time that part of the song would come around, I'd play that little "lick". Even though that "lick" was really just four or five notes in a row straight down the scale. Then while I was playing the scale I would notice that the root sounded just right at the end of phrases so I would make sure to land on the root at the right times. Then I learned a "turnaround" lick, and a little intro lick and you got it. Kinda. Its hard for me to learn from sheets or tab so I would just meeander around taking note where the changes were so I could be on the root. Its great to have some stock licks but stock licks become stale fast. Each song usually has a signature lick so you have to learn that. But you can be anywhere in that scale at almost any time and its probably right as long as you get that root at the right time. Blues is great because you can use those repeating licks to death and its still cool. Then add feeling and ....
I learned over the "John Mayall Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton" "Beano" album. Theres also a lot of blues backing tracks that are just basic blues rhythms that will let you go anywhere.