1 (edited by jets60 2007-05-10 02:40:18)

Topic: Go Matrix

Just a song I wrote for the soccer team I’ve helped coach for the last 4 years. Work is getting in the way so I have to stop coaching and the team is breaking up due to a couple of different reasons. I doubt the team will be the same core group of girls who started years ago. I’ve seen them grow from 8 year old girls to12 year old teenish girls who still remind me of those little girls I remember at the first tryouts.

Go Matrix By Jeff Gilpin

May 9th, 2007

[G] [D] [C] [D] [Em]

verse 1

I’m blue and [Em]white

With all my [G]might

Since the [D]day

They came my [C]way

verse 2

These little [Em]girls

All ribbon and [G]curls

Won my [D]heart

Right from the [C]start

chorus

[C]It has not been all [G]glory

[D]We have had our highs and [C]lows

[C]I cannot wait to finish the [G]story

[D]Of all my Matrix he[Em]roes

verse 3

Their road’s been [Em]rough

And it made them [G]tough

Learning how to [D]play

Working night and [C]day

verse 4

Facing new [Em]fears

With a few [G]tears

Braved the good and [D]bad

Giving all the [C]had

chorus

[C]It has not been all [G]glory

[D]We have had our highs and [C]lows

[C]I cannot wait to finish the [G]story

[D]Of all my Matrix he[Em]roes

break

[D]New roads are now in [C]view

[D]Uncertainty on what to [C]do

So [G]play with all your [C]heart

[G]Where ever next you [C]start

[G]Keep your joy and [C]play on [D]for…[D7]

ending verse

The Blue and [Em]white

With all your [G]might

Go shoot and [D]score

Go Matrix…[Em7]

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: Go Matrix

Very cool song, Jeff - you consistently are able to notice good ideas for a song, and then apply your creative alchemy to convert the raw idea into a song.  In the days of yore you would have been an excellent troubador composing songs on-the-fly and traveling from town to town.

Too bad that the team is breaking up - but, you have had an important impact on all the player's lives.  As they become young ladies, I'm sure their friendships and experiences from the team will continue to have a positive impact.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Hi Jeff,

It is rather strange that James should liken you to a troubador as the same thought had passed my mind earlier today. Although in my vision, Sir James was the knight with his trusty keyboard righting all the wrongs, I was the Jester as I get everything round my neck, Lord Per was our master, Ken was the tax collector as the Scottish are always canny with cash, and Old Doll was the beautiful princess.

Anyway enough of my daydreaming and back to the reality of your song. It is sad that the team is breaking up and I am sure your presence has had a very positive influence on the young ladies lives. My feeling is that you should record this to CD and give one to each of them as a reminder of their days in the team.

The young ladies, I am sure, will be proud of the song you have written for them.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

THnaks James and Roger - That's high praise from two great mentors. I was thinking of recordng this for them. I just hope my singing and playing is up for it.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Jeff, the most wonderful thing about working with kids is that they will vividly recall the weirdest little things - stuff that you would never think was remarkable or noteworthy can be indelibly etched into their memory.  As these young ladies enter the next phase of their lives I'm sure they each have some totally unique and quirky little memory of you that will remain always fresh in thier mind.

Roger's idea of gifting them with a recording of your song about them is brilliant . . . better than any plastic trophy or paper certificate.  Go for it!  If nothing else your daughter will be 'like totally embarrassed' . . .

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

I'll give it a go...and I'll let you know how it's recieved.

J  E  T  S