Topic: Singing in Harmony

I'm confused about what Singing in Harmony means and what possibilities there are for writing and singing harmony

Let me give an example

A Song in the key of G has three bars of G, C and D. and the first note is a G note. so I find G on my guitar and sing

but when I hear people singing it in an ensemble people sing at different pitches

assuming that they are not just singing horribly - how many different notes can they use in place of my G ?

Re: Singing in Harmony

i'm not good with harmony my-self, but you dont replace the G, you put a harmony beside it! eg; if you sing (or play) G and D at the same time you find it's a natural harmony, which is why we get chords.

eg; chord of G is: G-B-D-G-B and high G. so basically the only notes you play are G-B and D in different octaves.

you can expand on this by playing F in place of the high G, which obviously gives you G7. which sounds nice when you sing those notes. other harmonic notes for G would be: E (for 6th) F# ( for major 7th) A (for 9th) these will come with practice.

hope this helps.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phil

Thanks Phil

So does anybody actually do that in musical compositions.  Were talking about someone singing the root note and someone else singing the 5th.

I've just been watching some videos by the Everley Brothers. Harmonies in parralell thirds. it looks quite difficult but it sounds very cool.