Topic: Dayton, Ohio or Bust

Next weekend I travel to Dayton, Ohio to attend my brother's retirement from the Air Force Reserve. I want to give him a gift for this occasion and have pretty much decided he's getting an acoustic guitar. (He doesn't play yet and I will admit this idea was partially inspired by our good virtual friend, Zurf.)

So I've been on the hunt for the "right" guitar for about two months. I have a few in my sights for purchase. My back-up plan is to give him one of my guitars. I am probably over-thinking this but I want to maximize the chance of success, which for me, means he shows at least some interest and begins a new journey. I am willing to accept the fact he may not pursue this but I think the gamble is worth it for both of us.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
dj

Re: Dayton, Ohio or Bust

Good luck DJ - If you give him one of yours and it doesn't work out... you could get it back.  If you get him a BETTER one than one of yours, you could end up with IT as a new guitar if it doesn't work out.  If it does work out, you'll have someone to play with, and a guitar you really like to play when you visit.  I think it's a win-win, and hopefully he'll like it as much as we all do!!!!  GREAT idea!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Well there's a Tak in another thread...

I think about the best guitar going for the price right now is either Recording King or Seagull, but there's tons of good feeling guitars and reasonable prices. 

Be sure to also buy him a humidifier and a beginner's video and tell him about www.justinguitar.com.   

Thanks for the nod. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Buying for someone else could be tricky. You know what you like, but he is not you. Hmmm, most of us banged it out on a crap guitar and still persisted thru it all. Hopefully with something a little easier to play and nicer to hear he will get and keep the bug.

I agree with everything Amy said...

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey DJ, Dayton is only 75 miles from where I live near Chillicothe.  You gonna be in the area long?  Good luck with finding just the right axe for your bro.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Dirty Ed wrote:

Hey DJ, Dayton is only 75 miles from where I live near Chillicothe.  You gonna be in the area long?  Good luck with finding just the right axe for your bro.

DE

I always wondered where Chillicothe was! I will only be in Dayton Sat-Mon. By the way both my brother and I were born in Toledo.

Thanks for the luck. This is proving more difficult than buying a guitar for me!
dj

7 (edited by naolslager 2012-06-01 10:10:05)

Oh the agony and the ebony..actually rosewood, but one can dream. My guitar gift selection has heated to white hot and now I'm more undecided than ever. I spent my lunch breaks the last few days visiting guitar stores and scouring Craig's List for the one right guitar of my brother. How can I expect to find the one for him when I can't even seem to find the one for me?

There are a couple of very tempting choices on CL. I have contacted the sellers and had the initial telephone interview about the guitars in question. (Both are RK dreadnoughts and fantastic guitars.) But then I browsed the local stores and then back to CL. So many good options but will they be the right one for him. I seriously doubt it.

I think I've decided to gift him my 000 (Sunburst). I A/B/Ced my guitars tonight and I like them all but this one comes up a little short sound wise (for me... I think). The Dread is by far the best sounding, the 0-body by far the most portable while retaining excellent playability as a guitar (and not some toy). The 000 is somewhere in between sound wise and if I was going to keep one guitar for myself it might be the 000 because it is the "Swiss Army Knife" of guitars. It's strummable and finger-pickable. it's comfortable to hold sitting, which is how I play. (I don't even own a guitar strap.) It has a 1.75" nut and a short scale both of which, in my somewhat experienced opinion, make it "easier" to play. And the sunburst just looks fabulous.

All of these characteristics add up, mostly, to an excellent first guitar for a fledgling player. So, for now, it's the 000. However this is the one guitar I own without a case so I will have to procure one so I can lug it to Dayton via commercial air. I think I'll run the gauntlet and try to carry it on the plane. I've had pretty good luck in the past and this is a relatively short domestic flight on s Saturday, how crowded could it be? Maybe I shouldn't have asked that.

Giving him of my guitars breaks my nuclear decision triad over which to play. Giving him one of my guitars puts me that much closer to GASSING for the magical third - the "3" they refer to in the Schoolhouse Rock song from the 1970s - "Three, It's a Magic Number". Anyone else think that song was song by Gary Busey?

As Led Zeppelin (the best band ever) says, "It's time for me to ramble on." Wait, I thought that's what I was doing?

More to follow, likely.
dj

Good Choice DJ...

As for the flying, last time I went up with Guitar in hand it didn't even count as a carryon (bonus)!  Plus, things were a little tight in the overheads so my axe wound up in a vacant overhead in the underbooked First Class Cabin.  Darn thing didn't even have a ticket and had a better seat than I did!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Sounds like a good plan.  smile  I'm sure your brother will be happy, and knowing it was one that you have loved personally maybe he'll even be more likely to try to learn how to play it!!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Give him one with a little mojo built in.  Great idea.  Plus now you have an excuse to buy another guitar, which is always helpful. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

A magical weekend. Beautiful weather, much time 1 v 1 with dad and we decided on a whim (over breakfast Sunday morning) to drive to Toledo to visit my cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. A few of my cousins I hadn't seen in twenty years.

But the guitar dilemma remains as i have not delivered on my gift. Still mulling and considering the options. A few variables changed once contact was made with big bro. Nothing negative just unexpected so I am reconsidering the gift.

A+ on the weekend though.
dj

A reunion with my cousin...after 20 years. Life intervened I suppose. Shame on me.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Vb0930pMckQ/T8w0T5rVsjI/AAAAAAAAD8w/4eRGF96JZ8c/s640/DSC02264.JPG