1 (edited by snowden300 2007-05-16 12:53:42)

Topic: Holes

I live on the island of Newfoundland, a place that is suffering from the effects of outward migration and 'brain drain' as the political and economical landscape changes with the collapse of traditional ways of making a living. This is being replaced with offshore oil exploration and development, but this is not bringing the prosperity some had envisioned.
I wrote this song twenty odd years ago and recently added the last verse. Sadly, it is as current now as it was then.

Chordpro error: This is not a valid artistname. You will have to specify an artistname in the form {st: Artistname} in the beginning of the code.

Re: Holes

Hello Snowden, great tune you have there , good flow. I too live on an island [Cape Breton], and the same can be said here. The politicians and big wigs promice but never deliver.
You almost have to move west to find a decent paying job. When I left for the west to find work i sure did miss the salt water and the down home people who were always willing to help.Returned after a few years and  i'm not leaving.This island is my rock in the sea. Yes great tune keep em coming.

Take care and have a great day.....Badeye.

one caper after another

Thanks badeye. Cape breton, my nearest island neighbour. I just found this forum today so I've nothing more to add at the moment. I do have many more songs though so I'll get them up eventually.

Great stuff Snowden. This is a great site.It sure helped me when I started guitar. Being self taught I picked up a lot of tips from fellow chordies. Still a long way to go to become accoplished guitar player but I'm loving it. Learning all the time. Anyway welcome to Chordie and have a great day.

.....Badeye.

one caper after another

Wow snowden300!  Absolutely nifty song right from the title on through all the verses.  The chorus is like a dart right to the bullseye . . . perfect aim!  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

James,

thanks for your kind words. how are things in Mississippi these days? I spent a couple of years down on the Gulf Coast a little while back. I lived in Ocean Springs and worked up in Pascagoula doing some shipbuilding. Love the music attitudes there. Lived a year on the west bank in New Orleans as well, and most recently (2 years ago) spent 5 months in Daphne, outside Mobile.
Here in Newfoundland we have a good music attitude also. you might want to check out the music industry of Newfoundland and Labrador website for some samples.

Any idea how I would go about getting some home recording attempts online for comments?

thanks,
s.

To get your recordings online, contact Roger Guppy.  He has set up 'Friends of Chordie' page on myspace.
http://www.myspace.com/friendsofchordie
You can email him an mp3 of your song, and he will put it up.

Mississippi's gulf coast and the West Bank of New Orleans are still recovering from hurricane Katrina.  Much of what you remember is gone - many people rebuilding after utter devastation.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Love the song Snowden300. All to often politicians and big industry see only money and forget about the people who have to live in the fallout of decisions made for financial gain without any consideration of the local ecology.

Thank you,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hey Snowden - Great song and story - kind of reminded me of some of the songs Woody Guthrie wrote and sang. Great job

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Hey, it's been a while since I visited back to this site. Thanks for all the kind words...and keep on writing!

s.