Topic: Conscience Gate

I haven't posted a new song for quite a while so when this came to me (as I woke-up) this morning, and it's not a sloppy love song, or a broken heart song, I thought I'd put it up for some comments. It's in a 1/1 time, it's weird I know, but that's the only time signature that would fit! and it's a bit fast, kinda latin american...

Conscience Gate.Undefined

[(RIFF: C-F-G-Am-F-C X2)]

[C] I woke-up [F] early [G] yesterday, just to [Am] see the [F] sun.

[C] I stood [F] beside the garden [G] wall, and then it [Am] came [Em] along.

[F] If all the [G] birds flew in a [Am] line. If all the [Em] clouds were powder [F] fine.

If all the [G] words we had for [Am] hate, we left [Em] behind at [F] conscience [C] gate.

(RIFF)

[C] I walked down [F] High Street in a [G] sweat, kept [Am] looking [F] down.

[C] You don't look [F] people in the [G] face, if you want to [Am] make it [Em] out.

[F] If all the [G] bad men wore a [Am] sign. You wouldn't [Em] need to look [F] behind.

If all the [G] words we had for [Em] hate, we left [Em] behind at [F] conscience [C] gate.

[(RIFF C-F-G-Am-F|-C-F-G-Am-Em)]

(CHORUS)

[F] What we [Em] have is not a [Am] lot. We'd like to [Em] keep the things we've [F] got.

But people [Em] take it any [F] way. Screw it [G] up and throw it [C] away.

[C] The world is [F] full of thugs and [G] thieves. Who take [Am] all that you've [F] got.

[C] Some wear [F] hoodies, some wear [G] suits, and they'll just [Am] take the [Em] lot.

[F] If all the [G] tax men wore a [Am] sign, you know the [Em] cops would still be [F] blind.

When we've [G] suffered all this [Em] hate. Wish we'd [Em] stayed at [F] conscience [C] gate.

(CHORUS)

[F] What we [Em] have is not a [Am] lot. We'd like to [Em] keep the things we've [F] got.

But bankers [Em] take it [F] anyway, pick it [G] up and blow it [C] away.

(RIFF)

[F] I've paid my [Em] taxes year on [Am] year, just to [Em] see them blow [F] away.

Now they've [Em] taken all I [F] saved. Left me [G] here at conscience [C] gate.

(RIFF X 4)

[C] I woke-up [F] early [G] yesterday, just to [Am] see the rain.

Words & Music by Phill Williams.  6th August 2012.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

2 (edited by dino48 2012-08-07 01:17:39)

Re: Conscience Gate

Lots of good lyrics and also chord usage phil,hope we can hear it someday.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Conscience gate......What a great phrase!

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

hi dino, & bud,  sorry it's taken so long to reply.

thanks bud the title just popped into my head as i was writing the song. as for hearing it, i've been having lots of trouble with my new PC, i've had to change sounds cards 2x, and since my recording studio was for windows 95, windows 7 wont even look at it! i'm trying to down load songs but they dont seem to come through for some reason. i'll get there eventually....i hope
thanks again

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.