Topic: Describing Strumming Pattern

Hi All,

I hope you can help.

What is the best way, using the chordPro format if possible, to describe a strumming pattern?
For example - I have a song that uses a straight four beats per chord pattern. How can I add that to the song so that it displays at the top of the song?
Also, just to be awkward, same song Beats 1 & 3 play only the E & A strings Beats 2 & 4 play only the D,G,B & E?

Thanks for your help

David Grant

Gutar Player, Singer, Entertainer  - At least in my own mind.

Re: Describing Strumming Pattern

Hi David - You pose an interesting question.  The chordpro method of notation is somewhat limited in the information it can convey.  Precise voicing of a chord is not pobbible in chordpro.

Likewise 'tabs' have their own limitations in that accurate rhythmic notation is not possible.

The only musical notation method that conveys 'complete' information as far as precise tones and rhythm is formal musical notation on a staff with actual notes.

Perhaps you could append some tabs to your song's layout?  Or perhaps you could add some playing tips at the end of the song?  That's all I can think of, because if you try to embed to much information into the actual layout of the song, it will become so cluttered as to be unreadable.

But, maybe somebody else has some insights or a good idea for this?  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Re: Describing Strumming Pattern

Another thought on this question - tabs and chordpro notation evolved well after recorded music.  Of course, before sound recordings musicians had been passing along tunes and songs for generations.

Formal music notation,  while it can convey a wealth of information is still merely an attempt to portray something that is difficult to describe completely.  In fact, performers who merely 'play the notes' with no nuance or interpretive flair deliver sound without soul.

The only way to convey the full 'meaning' of music is to play it - and each time it is played it is a little different if the musician is playing musically.  I think the nice thing about chordpro format is that it contains the 'bare bones' of a song.  The player can then 'flesh it out' as their muse dictates.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]