Topic: Hendrix: Teeth Playing

Did Jimi Hendrix really play with his teeth? Or were the sounds he made all hammer-ons with his right hand fingers?

BBC4 had a Hendrix night on Saturday so I watched alot of sequences. It seems to me that not only does Hendrix get the strings up close to his mouth but also the sounds made are rough picking sounds as might be made by teeth. Yet I have a friend who maintains that was just a gimmick and it's all finger work on the neck.

C'mon Phil, let's have your opinion.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Re: Hendrix: Teeth Playing

http://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32944

Well, my name's not Phil, but yes, at times Jimi really did play with his teeth. Mostly just hammer-ons and pull-offs though

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

He played with his teeth.  I had a friend that use to do the same until a high "E" string busted in his mouth and cut both corners.

Bootlegger.

Ouch

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

I've tried, but can't get it. Hows it done?
cool danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

6 (edited by FranBow 2007-06-01 05:19:09)

I watched Jimi playing from the side of the stage back in '68. When it came to "teeth playing", he was definitely playing hammer-ons and pull-offs with his right hand. On that occasion anyway.

He got his hair stuck in the strings while doing it and kicked over a speaker while trying to get it free. The audience loved it - they thought it was part of the act...

i wouldent be able to play with my teeth because i have braces

dont light yourself on fire... it kinda hurts.

Me Too.
cool danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

Well Cytania, here I am. I tried it once myself and it took me hours, regulating the amps, and it is possible, but it's not easy. Hendrix started as a very shy and modest guitar player, who turned into one of the most famous guitar player. BUT LOOK his fingers, they are 50% longer than my fingers.
I think that's why he could play better and more difficult pieces. A couple of 100 years ago, there was the virtuosity of PAGANINI, he had very long fingers and still now, there are pieces of music nobody can play, but and here is "the doc" again, he suffered from a disease known as the syndrome of Marfan, look on the web for the disease, but one of the major symptoms were very long fingers. I don't know about Hendrix. I just know that the late Stevie Ray Vaughan, could play almost the same songs ( best Hendrix songs) like the master himself, and concerning the tooth-thing, I think he could do it, but more as show, meaning certainly not a nice melody

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Just seen a doctumentary on the Monterey Pop Festivial called "The Summer of Love" Jimi Hendrix was playing the lead to "Hey Joe" with his teeth. Rent the dvd and you can see for yourself.

Bootlegger.

Hendrix was on Owsley acid and so was the whole audience.
I'm surprised he didn't use his Johnson on the darn thing, although I'm sure he tried it in one of his Purple Hazes.

There is a guy on my block who lives for rock, he plays records day and night, and when he feels down he puts the rock and roll on and it makes him feel alright. - The Kinks, Rock And Roll Fantasy

wow u guys just bought up a whole idea i had never thought about, the idea being that jimi used hammer ons and pull offs of course. hmm well i always just assumed that there was no trick to it but i will definately keep an eye out for it nxt time i watch a vid of hendrix! i dont think ill try playing with my teeth ani time soon eitha coz ive got braces aswell nd i think i would be real scared of one snapping! Ouch!    amy

" Live Freaky! Die Freaky! "
                                         Billie Joe Armstong

jimi hendrix is game to play with his teeth i picked a couple and it felt horrible

If you can play with your teeth and a string is broken, you can still use the string to have perfect placed teeth. It is a skill, BUT IS HE THE ONLY TOOTH PLAYER?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

It's some cool showmanship to turn guitar and rest it toward your face on your chin while rolling the volume knob up and doing some hammer-ons and pull-offs!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

i have a tooth that sticks out so i do it good. its sorta cheating but i dont care :-)