1 (edited by rakuraku 2013-05-31 17:11:50)

Topic: 12 String Yamaha,,FG720s-12

Gidday...had this Guitar given to me,in excellent condition,part of an estate deal(no strings)...re-strung it ........what a beautiful gat.....don't have any experience on a 12 string.Have been playing it for the last month,sounds great...with certain songs...some,not so good.

Like they say,practice is everything.and Ive been pounding it for sure....but hard to get a clean sound,get a lot vibration off the strings(bar chords being the worst),and Im sure this just lack of time with it......

Anybody with experience with a 12 string please chip in and offer your thoughts,advice,tips.......Im all ears...........kia kaha

Sir Edmund Hillary - "It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

Re: 12 String Yamaha,,FG720s-12

hi rakuraku , you are lucky Free is good!. I love 12 strings but I hate tuning them,I have had a couple of them. Enjoy! The group America did most of there songs with a twelve string in them.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Guitarpix, Roger Guppy, and several others are whizzes when it comes to adjustments and repairs.  Hopefully one of them will chime in soon.  Good luck getting the guitar sorted out. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

4 (edited by beamer 2013-06-01 01:52:39)

I have a fender 12 and an ovation.Strings are going to be your hit and miss.  my present ones are not to bad. but I will go with silk and steel next.  You will have to bone up your hand strength for barr chords. try just using your 1 and 3 fingers for the root 5ths.  if you look up 12 string tuning tips  and playing hints it will help you out. one trick is to tune a 1/2 step down then put a Capo on the first fret. it will make things easier till you get the strenght built up.  I also like to tune a 1/2 step down and no capo. takes away the ringing in the high B and E strings.  on teh fender, keep an eye on the bridge. some of them have been know to pull loose.  This is because sometimes they glue the bridge on over the topcoat.  not a very good idea.  mine has done that and i have not fixed it yet. i just use my ovation LOLOL.  good luck and look up some gordon lightfoot (capo on the 3rd and 5th fret for a lot of the songs) Oh and get a capo for a 12 string, it will make a differance. Also Tom Petty and the Eagles sound great on a 12.

OH and as mentioned, take it and get it set up. it will make a big differance!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Gidday...thanks for the replys...and beamer,appreciate the tips...the music,yup thats what I play anyway....there are others,but its just a matter of trial and error I reckon.....yeah mate,the bar chords require quite a bit more pressure,....the tuning part is tricky....started out with a clip on SNARK....seems to work just fine,unless my hearing is shot!!!,...correct me if Im wrong,but dont u tune both strings to the same pitch...ie 440.(basic)..???....I did that and the chords sound just fine.....have a capo,but gave it away after hearing how I play.....more practice and will retry.....strings...silk and steel,can you elaborate why.......the other thing,trying to play chords past the 7th fret is a cluster,...anyway,its all fun and appreciate the incoming posts....kia kaha

Sir Edmund Hillary - "It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

Greetings from the Great Northwest (Pacific Wonderland... Oregon)

Twelves are great for a wide variety of music, but yeah the tuning is different.  Only the B & High E are tuned the same on the doublets, G, D, A,& E on the base side are tuned with the small strings an octave above their doublet paired string.

It is not uncommon to tune down to D to reduce the tension on the strings and like posted above, capo up as needed to get to standard tuning.  As the number of strings is doubled so too is the tension on the bridge and neck when everything is up to pitch.
Hence all that good advise.  Most instruments are fully up to handling the added tension at standard pitch, but some reports of cracked braces and lifting bridges have been seen... including one of mine.

It is always possible to string it with only 6 strings if you want until you get used to the slightly wider neck and jump that other hurdle later at your option.  The silk and steel strings can be a little softer on your fingers, but I have had good luck with Thomastik Enfeld strings as they tend to need less tension to come up to pitch.  But it always is good to try other brands and guages to find what is comfortable to you.  A proper set-up goes a long way towards a better experience so you are not "fighting" to make your chords.  Most times a luthier will include a new set of strings with that service and is well worth the meager fee.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare