Topic: That's What Life's About

Just a contemplative song about how you turn your head a minute and something else you grew up with is no more....could have called the song Shake My Head but I think this title is a little more top dead center.

That’s What Life’s About By Jeff Gilpin

July 30, 2013

Intro

[G] / / / / [D]

[G]I went down just the other day to the grocery store

Just the same way my father and his [G7]father did before

[C]But I found when I went down the store all locked and chained

[G]Lights turned off windows boarded hand painted sign on the door

That [D]said closed and out of business so [C]if you want to shop

Head down to the [G]super saver shopping center mega emporium that’s [D]just down the [G]block [G7]

[Em]God I do love progress and all the new inventions

And [C]all the stuff I never knew I needed but now can’t live without

Un[Em]fortunately with every change and the best of intentions

You [D]got to give up the old stuff and [C]that’s what life’s about [G] / / / / [D]

[G]Driving up the road a ways I used to pass thisfarm

Where I’d always see this farmer waveI’d [G7]answer with my arm

[C]But now the farm has gone away been filled in with houses

And [G]signs saying stop on by and check us out there are only a few units left

And [D]off around the side I could [C]still see that old barn

Not part of the [G] Dominion Valley gated community sub-division home owners' associ[D]ation or a [G]farm[G7]

You [D]got to give up the old stuff and [C]that’s what life’s about [G] / / / / [D]

If [G]I could predict the future I guess there’s one sure bet

All that stuff you like today well [G7]you can just forget

It [C]doesn’t matter what you like if it gets in the way of progress

[G]New ways are coming so best just to bend over ‘cause here they come

[D]I’m sure before too long we'll all be [C]happy with the rearranging

But un[G]til that time I’ll grit my teeth hold it in and [D]suffer through the [G]changing [G7]

You [D]got to give up the old stuff and [C]that’s what life’s about [C] [G]

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: That's What Life's About

your still going strong jeff,double thumbs up.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Yep, ya nailed it.  THUMBS UP!

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I really like the subject matter and find the rhyme scheme intriguing.  If you make a scratch of it I'd love to hear it to see how you fit the words and music together.

I agree with the thumbs up comments.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Thanks you all. DE, I'll knock out a scratch tonight and shoot it to you.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Instead of sending scratches to those who ask, I'm now posting them on my soundcloud page so long as they don't sound too scratchy....This one didn't (at least to me). Let me know what you think
You can find it here: https://soundcloud.com/jets60/thats-wha … ut-scratch

J  E  T  S

hi jeff. your so right. we went out for a meal last night to a restaurant that when i was a kid was a cinema! times they are a changing to be sure. it's the price we have to pay, we all want cheaper goods, and unfortunately the small corner shop cant compete with the "super saver shopping centre mega emporium" thumbs up

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Thanks Phil - Sad but true. The super saver etc was just my way of saying Wal-Mart. I think you might have them in the UK (Asda is owned/operated by Wal-Mart), but I guess Tesco or Sainsbury might be the equivalent, but of the "super store" variety.

J  E  T  S

I like it.  It hits home with all of us.  Another title, Gone Before You Know It or Here and Gone

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Thanks Pete - Good ideas on the title too...I sometimes struggle on what to name my songs...I remember an old saying that goes, "The only thing that remains the same is change." Or something like that....very true in this day and age.

J  E  T  S

First time I think I heard you sing jeff,you have a good voice and it sounds like you could do country music well.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks Dino - I lost most of my "twang" during my years in the USAF, but growing up in western NC does tend to color your dialect so much that it never fades all the way.

J  E  T  S