Topic: Traveling Thomas and Brandy - another Beamer/Jets60 song

Hey Everyone,

Beamer wrote a really good song, and asked me to figure out some music to go with it. So I did and I also put a scratch recording to it that I like. I believe Beamer will give us his version as well and I am looking forward to it. If any of you would like to here it you can find my version at: https://soundcloud.com/jets60/traveling-thomas-and-brandy

Traveling Thomas and Brandy Written by Scott Sailer - Arrangement by Jeff Gilpin

8/23/2013

Intro

Finger picking F C F C

We [F]saw them show [G]up in [C]town

Another [Em]homeless man and his [Am]dog,

[G] He never bothered [F] anyone

He’s just [F]pushing his [G]cart a[C]round

[F]One day my [G]wife stopped [C]to say hello,

[F]Asked [G]who he was and [F]what did he know.

[Em]His eyes sparkled as he [G]said,

[Am7]My name is [G]Thomas and I’ve [F]been all a[C]round

[Am7]No one for a [G]friend ‘cept [F]God and this old hound,

[Em]His name is [Am]Brandy and [Em]he keeps me s[Am]afe

[F]Between him and [G]God I’ve no [F]fear of my fate. [C]

[F]So we [G]got to know old [C]Tom,

[Em]And learn the story of his [Am]life,

[G]Once he was a [F]sinning man

Who found [F]God, but [G]lost his [C]wife.

[F]Thomas and Brandy [G]stayed [C]in this town

[F]He was able to [G]find a house and [F]make some friends

He got to [Em]start to settle down,

And he just [G]said,

[F]We shared the [G]holidaysAnd [C]took him into our lives

[Em]We looked after himAnd we would [Am]make each other smile.

[G]Life went on and there came that day, We hadn’t [F]seen him in a while,

That’s [F]when we [G]Lost our [C]smile.

[F]He is no [G]longer [C]here ,

[F]I can see him [G]clutching his bible [F]tight

All the [Em]while he says with all his [G]might

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: Traveling Thomas and Brandy - another Beamer/Jets60 song

Great country story there.  Follows some old themes.  I like it

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Thanks Pete - I agree - good old themes that I've always been fond of.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

great story song beamer and i love your treatment of it jeff, dont mind me saying so but you sound a little like niel young on this one. very nice. look forward to hearing the finished version.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

5 (edited by beamer 2013-08-29 20:55:41)

Phill Williams wrote:

great story song beamer and i love your treatment of it jeff, dont mind me saying so but you sound a little like niel young on this one. very nice. look forward to hearing the finished version.

LOLOL I played it for a girl at work and she said the same thing! So I guess its a +1 for her LOLOL

And THANK YOU PHILL.

Even the METALIZER has his closet country / Americana side big_smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Yeah, I FORGOT TO MENTION THE nEIL young THING.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Beamer and Jets, I gotta tell ya, my daughter and I like it. Oh and by the way - my name is Thomas and we had an old dog named Brandy.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

bluejeep wrote:

Beamer and Jets, I gotta tell ya, my daughter and I like it. Oh and by the way - my name is Thomas and we had an old dog named Brandy.

That is so funny!  I think since your so close tothe story I should just as well let everyone know how it has actually ended.

Thomas's Brandy was a shepard mix of some type.  He really did watch over him when He was sleeping under picknick tables at rest areas and kept him from getting robbed or attacked at least twice that Thomas knew of.  As we got to know Thomas, brandy loved my familyalso.  I am pretty sure no one could get near us if he thought it would be harmfull.

Thomas is now a ward of the state and we dont know where they have him.  Its a rest home of some sort and since we were not family, no one will tell us much.  What we learned was from the wife of the people who let thomas have a house to live in. (They would not take his money after the first 2 months an he used to be in construction and had really fixed a lot of the house for them untill he mixed up his meds, which he half the time refused to take or follow the doc's orders beacause if god wanted to take him it was gods choice not the doc's)

Brandy now has a good family and a little boy to watch after.  The Pound at least told us that. The family was wanting a younger dog, but when they visted with brandy in the pound yard, brandy Chose them over all the other dogs.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

smile When I'm in the upper side of my vocal range I guess I get a little like Neil...not by choice but that's just how my voice goes. I guess there are worse things. Would be better if I could play more like him.Thanks.

J  E  T  S

and some of his money too huh?

reading beamers story i got the impression that thomas was a hobo? what we'd call a tramp which reminded me of a song i wrote a few years ago called "maggie coulter" a story i'd made up but ran along the same lines, an old woman who walked the roads with the intention of getting to a place called st. Davids, which is on the west coast of Wales. but she only manages to get to Cardiff (about 100 miles away) where she freezes to death. i hadnt thought about Maggie for a while so thanks for that.

11 (edited by beamer 2013-08-29 23:48:41)

I know Phill meant no harm, I just want to add a bit more.

I would not call him a tramp. he did not drink, and he did not beg of anyone I know of.  He was a little bit mentally unstable in some areas, but he still could use his hands productfully when someone asked if he knew how to do anything and earned his  way like that.  once he was old enough to draw social security that is when he got the house.  He just got overwhelmed by all the responsibility of it and did not know how to pay his bills.  Its not in the song but he was able to get a riding mower and mow a few yards and it was his car till he got a electric chair.  He ended up with many people who cared for him he just didnt realize it.

In the last year we now have 3 or 4 more guys walking the streets.  they just showed up.  My wife thinks its because we finally became a "Wet" town. (we now can sell boose and wine)
This has not stopped her from needing to try to help.  She has started to befriend another older man.  I told her NO MORE STRAYS.  She feels guilty and its also cause her dad was on the streets for a while at one time.  I dont mind helping them with some food or finding medicle care, but no longer will I allow cash to be given out.

Very happy to know I have touched so many with my words.

Good song,I like it alot jeff is really good writing songs about the common man and things we can really relate too. It is nice too see the both of you working as a team on the songs. So keep up the good work!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks Dino - Yeah, we kind of work well together I think.

J  E  T  S

14 (edited by beamer 2013-08-30 03:39:07)

jets60 wrote:

Thanks Dino - Yeah, we kind of work well together I think.

Just imagine what we might pump out if we took a week to chill and play and write!  I know a great place in WV but I just cant afford anything right now.  would this inspire you?

https://sphotos-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/375776_4009710874274_2005840554_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/262_19570703998_5919_n.jpg
https://sphotos-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/262_19570483998_9268_n.jpg

just for fun here I am back in the day at this place Im on the right.
https://sphotos-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/351_83854500354_1925_n.jpg

hi beamer. no i meant no harm and i suppose the word vagrant is more commonly used these days but alcohol never entered my thoughts. Maggie Coulter wasn't a drinker. a lot of people were made homeless over here during and after WW2, and that's when my song was set.

it's nice to hear a story of true compassion and Christian charity.

Phill I would like to hear your song about Maggie.