Topic: What's up with Chordie

Just got through with my morning browse through the various Chordie topics and it seems there are more spam posts than posts from our long list of members. Where have all the old "true blue" Chordie members gone. I seems like most of the post on here, now are "How old is everyone" or "My G string is riding high causing me to sing off key - need help", type. Used to be the comments and questions that were asked had some meaning. It seems like out of the thousands and thousands and thousands of Chordie members that only a small handful remain active and most of them are the MODS. It used to be the topics, questions and answers were well written, advice and help was awesome.  We have members from all over the world - how come when you go to Chordie there are only 4 or 5 posts? It sure would be nice to read through the Chordie posts, while drinking my morning coffee, and not having to browse through the "banned" posts just to have something to read.

NELA

Re: What's up with Chordie

How come I can't get into the same clothes I used to wear? times change as do people they get older have families obligations all of the mods were selected from active members and they still contribute input on topics or comments most of the members just use the song files and don't comment I used to wonder the same thing when I posted a song I wrote that had over 1000 views on the topic but only 100 or so views on the times the video was actually viewed.and a lot of members post on Facebook that used to on Chordie ...and the times they are a changing smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

NELA ... I hear your clearly about all of the spam postings ... a real nuisance.

I always got to have my "Chordie" fix each day, and although I tend to get wordy I don't always post something. Seems like sometimes there isn't a lot to say, or a topic that catches the imagination. Most days aren't like that, and Chordie has truly been a constant source of information AND inspiration.

Most of all, I personally appreciate the respectful way in which Chordie members treat each other. A class act!

I argee with the membership being a class act. What I was commenting about is that Chordie has almost 1/2 million registered users at this time. This morning there was 32 members and 27 guests online. We had more spam posts than posts pertaining to the Chordie issues we expect and look for. I know guests can only read post and not make comments, also, that a lot of our membership use this forum to gather information and are not active in voicing their thoughts, comments or advice. Russell, I agree that "times are changing" but that don't mean there are more or less folks out there interested in the topic's on this forum. As the old one's die off, new ones take their place. At this time this thread has been viewed by 39 people and only 4 posts made (and I made 2 of those).

nela

I think what happened is that when your computer went down, they all got bored and went to UltimateGuitar.  :-)

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Could be most of the older members have asked or done most of the things before,I do see a lot of newer members now and I know they spend a lot of time on facebook and twitter. Things will get a lot more heated up when Football season comes back!!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Zurf, was it when I was having conputer problems and was not able to sign in that they left or when I git things fixed and came back to the forum that they left. Makes a person wonder, don't it.

Dino, things might pick up when football season picks up. Maybe, for the time being, Chordie could offer a "Buck Nakkid" hopscotch tournament. We could sign up people and give prizes for the biggest hop and drink a lotta scotch.

Nela

I like the Scotch part, but I'm not much for hopping.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I'd like to be able to say I was too busy playing my guitar to visit Chordie but that would not be the truth.

Dj

10 (edited by beamer 2014-03-26 00:38:11)

Nela, there are I would say about 30 CORE members. out of that you will have about 10 active posters who will carry a conversation in a topic.  The core bunch is usually beyond talking basic stuff at this point.   I think we just wait till something really moves us to start a new post.  Dino is also correct in lots of stuff being done through other social outlets.  I regularly start chats with Amy, Zurff, Jets, Wayne,  topdown and Russell. Every so often ill put a topic up on the forum,, I also look for new members and try to get them the help they ask for and invite them to join.  TF is probably the most recent member who post

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

NELA wrote:

Zurf, was it when I was having conputer problems and was not able to sign in that they left or when I git things fixed and came back to the forum that they left. Makes a person wonder, don't it.

Dino, things might pick up when football season picks up. Maybe, for the time being, Chordie could offer a "Buck Nakkid" hopscotch tournament. We could sign up people and give prizes for the biggest hop and drink a lotta scotch.

Nela

Scotch is good and maybe we could have some languerie football games now.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:
NELA wrote:

Nela

+1!  But Ill just be a side line reff,, Amy will have to Captain a team ! LOLOLOL smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

I read chordie every day. Sometimes my day is so hectic and busy that I don`t have the time to post anything. I have some things going on at home and I have to put guitar on the back burner sometimes. Facebook is what I go on for a couple of hours each night. A lot of chordians are facebook friends and we can get into deeper subjects on that instead of here. Anyone here is welcome on my page and it is more personal than here. this is a great place, but there are limits as to what can be discussed here.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

beamer wrote:
dino48 wrote:
NELA wrote:

Nela

+1!  But Ill just be a side line reff,, Amy will have to Captain a team ! LOLOLOL smile

dino48 wrote:
beamer wrote:
dino48 wrote:

Now we are getting some progress we only need two find some ladies too sign up!

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

I read chordie every day. Sometimes my day is so hectic and busy that I don`t have the time to post anything. I have some things going on at home and I have to put guitar on the back burner sometimes. Facebook is what I go on for a couple of hours each night. A lot of chordians are facebook friends and we can get into deeper subjects on that instead of here. Anyone here is welcome on my page and it is more personal than here. this is a great place, but there are limits as to what can be discussed here.

JX3 on my Triumph fourm,, we now have a special section called "THE CONE OF SILENCE"  You haveto ask to be a part of it. its a no holds barred section for any rant you feel like making no matter what the topic , I have to admit I usually just read it for a few good laughs and see what ppl are emotional about.

I dont think its needed here though wink

Hey All smile

I read the posts everyday at work cause I didn't have a net connection, just wouldn't/couldn't post cause of the man........but I'm back on line and plan on dropping in more often. I had a small stroke March of last year (they called it a TIA) it set me back some but I'm gooder now. It's funny how posting and spammers come and go in  spurts. Thankfully not as much with the spammers.
Anyways I plan on posting vids of my songs shortly. I found the practice good therapy but the excitement of posting a vid is scary as hell but funny...in a good way for a change.

Real glad to hear everything turned out well for you Nela, that's awesome. smile

Cheers All

Ken

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hey KAP - good to hear from you again! Glad you are recovering well from you stroke event. Looking forward to seeing your vids!!! You are as talented as anyone I have met on this site. Lets do a skype jam soon!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Howdy Doody Jeff smile
It has been a while since I've skyped (just prior to the stroke) but I'm into it. Just have to figure out how to hook it back up. The old puter is history and I can't remember the steps to achieve skypdom. I recently purchased Corel Video Studio Pro x6 for recording (I'm gonna do it) and find it fairly easy to work but I gotta go slow to keep the anxiety down.
Gimme a month or so and I should be good for a puter jam.

By the by guy........Congrats on hosting Chordiestock2. It looks and sounds to me like you did a bang up job again,
Hmmm Florida in February 2015 sounds like a hoot.

Cheers  Ken

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Is we being neglected?  Not so much, life gets in the way sometimes. For the most part I still check in and browse the posts, but no real reason to comment when I've nothing to add... of value anyway.  I do have to agree that the social media portals are likely responsible for the drop in participation in the forums.  Why post a question on chordie when you can toss it out on a tweet and get 35 thousand worthless responses in a couple of seconds.... and spend the next 60 hours of your life squinting at a tiny screen filtering through the garbage for the good stuff, and filtering out the rest of your world at the same time?

Indeed times are changing.

Take Care All;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

going back to the original theme; a lot of people use chordie just to get chords for some song they might want to have a go at, that's how i found chordie. the only time these people will post is when they are looking for a song that is not listed or they're having trouble getting their song book to display on their tablet, does this sound like a moan? it's meant to!

as doug mentions, social networking sites have their uses and they also are rife with pests so i wont bother with them.

as a mod i've had to warn certain members to curb their language and attitude. lets keep it friendly and helpful.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I'd love to see all you guys dressed in your finest lingerie!  smile  Ha ha ha!  Who's gonna wear the one with the holes cut in strategic places?  I don't know if Ya'll would want to see me captain that.  I might need to wear the stripes and be the ref!  LOL!

Kap!  Good to see ya back, sorry to hear about the stroke!  Hopefully all is well with the fine motor skills so you can play the geeetar. 

NELA - you bring up a good point.  Did they leave when you did, or when you came back?  Hmmmm... I am SURE it couldn't be when you came back.  Maybe now that you're here bringing up interesting posts more people will join in.  smile 

Hmmm... what's up with me?  Nothing too exciting.  Went to Chordiestock II and had the time of my life.  Came home with massive guitar callouses.  Need to keep playing so I don't lose them.  Hating the stupid snow and cold weather in CNY.  Oh, I might go for Karaoke this weekend with my Dad and Brother.  That's always fun!  They can sing too!!!  We generally get a few requests.  It's almost as good as playing the guitar and singing, except you don't have to worry so much about the fingers getting too drunk and when I get too drunk to sing, I still usually sound better than half the people in there.  wink  At least, I think so... I guess if there was video taken I would probably end up disagreeing.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I guess I am like a lot of others who visit just about everyday to see what's being talked about, but generally don't post unless i feel can say something useful or interesting. And yes, GUILTY!, Facebook does take up more time, as i have adult kids overseas and and we communicate each day through FB. But Chordie is still a vital interest for me, I love all the little pearls of wisdom, and online banter between the hard core members!

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

TwangTown wrote:

I guess I am like a lot of others who visit just about everyday to see what's being talked about, but generally don't post unless i feel can say something useful or interesting. And yes, GUILTY!, Facebook does take up more time, as i have adult kids overseas and and we communicate each day through FB. But Chordie is still a vital interest for me, I love all the little pearls of wisdom, and online banter between the hard core members!

that's it.....

badeye    cool

one caper after another

Im glad you were all here and have always helped me out isay self taught but thats not true im where im because of this site      thanks

Let no talents go unused