Topic: Ha ha water. Good joke. Now stop it.

1. Dishwasher
2. Washing machine
3. Kitchen drain

All of these things have problems requiring professional intervention today.  What a lovely joke water has played on me for April Fools Day.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

2 (edited by NELA 2014-04-01 22:28:32)

Re: Ha ha water. Good joke. Now stop it.

Dishwasher drains into the kitchen drain line above the p-trap. Most times the stopages here is due to a build up of grease. Disconnect the p-trap from the sink drain and where it goes into the wall. The p-trap will hold water so don't spill it. Now wash out the p-trap and make sure it is clean on the inside. A smart idea would be to go to another sink location to wash out the p-trap as you just disconnected it from the kitchen sink. The drain pipe that goes into the wall and ties into the main drain can be cleaned, most times, with a wet-vac. Just suck out all the grease and grime. If it is packed up real bad you can get a small "snake" that attaches to a drill motor and losen up the crud that way. Do not use a venemence snake as he will really get pissed. As for the washing machine, I try to act like I don't know anything about them. So don't tell my wife as I don't want to be washing clothes. The drain hose from the washing machine is a flexible hose with a "hook" on one end that is stuck into a drain line located in the washer box behind the machine. Check to see if it hasn't worked loose. Some times small items can go thru the drain line from the washing machine causing a blockage. Remove the drain line from the washer box, pucker up you lips, place them against the end of the drain and blow as hard as you can. You will need to get your wife to stick her head as far into the washing machine as she can so she can listen for air to escape. Also, check the hose for cracks / splits it it is very old. If all this works you will save a lotta money from what a plumber will charge you, your wife will think you are a hero, she may even give you that "sly" wink right after you eat some milk and cookies - if you know what I mean. Good luck.

Nela

Dishwasher leaks. 

Washing machine has a worn down gear.

Kitchen drain has been a problem for a long time.  They keep running a snake down it and saying there's nothing there.  Well run the darn thing further then because "nothing" doesn't stop water, and the only one that doesn't drain is the kitchen, so it's a partial clog somewhere between the sink and where the drain connects with the main stack. 

Everything else but the kitchen sink comes to the main stack elsewhere. 

Oh, and the hose bib on the front of the house started to leak enough to discolor all the brick around it.  So, now there's another water thing. 

And the passenger window on my truck stopped working, so that's at least an anti-water thing. 

All this in the last two days. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

Dishwasher leaks. 

Washing machine has a worn down gear.

Kitchen drain has been a problem for a long time.  They keep running a snake down it and saying there's nothing there.  Well run the darn thing further then because "nothing" doesn't stop water, and the only one that doesn't drain is the kitchen, so it's a partial clog somewhere between the sink and where the drain connects with the main stack. 

Everything else but the kitchen sink comes to the main stack elsewhere. 

Oh, and the hose bib on the front of the house started to leak enough to discolor all the brick around it.  So, now there's another water thing. 

And the passenger window on my truck stopped working, so that's at least an anti-water thing. 

All this in the last two days. 

- Zurf

Be a water thang here its raining

Let no talents go unused

1st world problems! Indoor plumbing can really suck. Dig you a hole in the backyard, turn off the main and haul water from the stream for a while!

LOL - I hate it for ya buddy. Hope you have a plumbing problem free summer!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

If'n you can't clean the sink drain from underneath the kitchen sink it's most likely a "grease log" somewhere before the drain connects to the main. Might need to go outside, find the drain line, dig down, cut clean from there and patch back. Go buy a new washing machine and get back on the wife's good side - you know they come with a matching dryer, don't you. Hose bib leaking - shut the water off at main - remove handle - get new rubber seat - install - replace handle - turn handle to see if water flows - remember water is off at main, turn water main back on - check hose bib - should be fixed. Quick fix for the passenger window on your truck - don't roll daow - use A/C. If you really, really. really want to fix this check the fuse - if not the fuse you'll need to learn how to walk different. This fix is a pain in the butt - replace the motor.

Back to the kitchen sink - in the wall behind the kitchen you will have a drain line and vent stack. If you have a bathroom that backs up to the wall it will be a common drain - also same if you have a upstairs bath above the kitchen. Depending on the codes where you live this is usualiy a 2 1/2" PVC pipe.  This pipe will go thru yiour slab, underground and tye into a "house main" (usually 4"). This line will exit the house slab and go out to where the main sewer line is located. Somewhere between the sink drain and the main sewer tye in I expect you would find a "grease log". If this is not the issue and your home is old enough to have clay tile drzin lines then it may have colapsed or they may be full of roots.

Nela

When all else fails. Call someone that does all that for a living

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

When it rains it pours!!!! Oh, that's a water thing too huh.

Maybe time for a new house. didn't you have some furnace issues recently? Yup, it's time.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to have two 50 gallon hot water tanks.  I came home one day and found that one of them had vented itself all over the garage floor.  I spent about $5K and had them both replaced with a big tankless system.   It's worth every dime.   Endless hot water, and my gas bill is less than half what it was.

Joke is on you, water!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

We had that issue with the kitchen sink... 1. there was no vent... poor construction.  2. there were globs of grease in the line going from sink to main drain.  Lucky, it was inside the house.  Removed, replaced, all better.  An old coffee can and a paper towel solves that issue from reoccurring (and tons of hot soapy water). 

Jerome, I have wanted a tank less system for a while now!  Good for you!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

A move to Mars might be in order; no water, no plumbing problems.

Zurf, heres to hoping all your water problems clear up. And the creek don't rise!

The problem with the kitchen sink is between the main stack and the kitchen sink.  We've had One Trick Pony (a national chain) out.  They give a six month guarantee.  They've had to come back two times during that guarantee period.  The run the same size snake down about the same length.  That's why I call them One Trick Pony.  They only seem to know one thing.  When it doesn't fix the problem, they do it again.  Perhaps improvement through repitition is for drains as well as scale practice. 

I'm going to call the town and see if they do the clean-out from the main sewer or whether I pay for that.  I think it's the next step. 

I haven't tried to fix the hose bib yet.  I will give it a go with the gaskets or seals or whatever they're called.  Mohammed at Home Depot usually steers me right.  I show him the part, he points to what I need.  It's been a good relationship for years.  I don't know if we've exchanged 10 words in the years he's been advising me.  My house is weird for gaskets.  I replaced a perfectly good gasket in a toilet with another perfectly good gasket, and for some reason that worked.  I could not detect one failure or installation error on the first perfectly good gasket. 

I haven't checked the fuses on the truck yet.  Just haven't got around to it.  I'm hoping that's all it is. I don't feel like paying someone to put in a new window motor, but I feel a whole lot more like paying someone to do it than I feel like doing it myself.  There's foam rubber animals that need holes in them to occupy my time.

Sounds like we should all just pay Nela to fix these problems - seems to know what he's talking about!

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

If your kitchen sink is too far away from your vented main drain, you may have a venting problem. We try to avoid putting excess grease down any drain. Put it in a disposable container and into the garbage. Your leaking hose valve may  be repaired simply by replacing the bib washer. But due to the severe winter we just experienced, your valve may have damage due to freezing. If so , I would replace it with a 10 or 12 inch frost free valve . which will require you to rework[shorten] your supply line. Gotta punt on . the power window. I would think if it were a fuse, more than one window would not work. Bad motor or broken wire.

Zurf, I'm hearing you. Let me tell you about my water problems.
My wife and self are presently camped in our trailer at a place called Yallakool Dam in the wine region of Queensland. My problem is that with visiting local wineries, wine tasting and all, I have only been able to catch 2 Golden Perch and a bucket full of Red Claw (craw dads?) in the dam due to time constraints. To add to my woes, I have had to spend my evenings strumming my new Fender 00 traveller and sipping the days purchases as opposed to hitting the water. At the moment I am struggling with the pressure I am under, however, a return to work next week should cure the dilemma.

Happy days
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

Bushy, sorry to read about your problems. Here's hoping you will suffer thru all yuour trials and tribulation and come out on top of everything.

Zurf, you own everything in the house main all the wat to where it ties into the city sewer main. Afraid you won't get any help from the city. One thing you could do is ask your plumbing service to "camera" the drain line from the kitchen out to the house main. Also, you should have a "clean-out" on the house main located somewhere outside prior to the city main. Running a camera down the line will tell you if you have a colasped line, broken line, grease log or just a bunch of roots in the system. Rotor Rooter can do this service for you as well as hydro-jet the line. Shouldn't be too expensive. Do you have a garbage disposal connected to the sink drain. If so, they are know to contribute to the build-up of grease in the drain line. If you have a GD be sure to flush it with hot water after using it.

nela

Last time my sink backed up, I found about a dozen tiny cocktail parasols in the U bend trap. My wife claims to know nothing of this...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Hi Zurf,  I'm on new anti-depressant drugs so I guess I'll toss in my .02 on this thread for whatever it's worth.

Forty year RV Technician experience (Think big spendy Motorcoach) house on wheels.... truck wheels. and State Building Inspector familiar with all the codes, so I think I know how things should be, but aren't always.

Waste plumbing... yeah you likely have a restriction somewhere, good advice so far so good.
Exterior faucet... new seal kit or replace, it's just a "pipes" thing.
Dishwasher.... you stopped mentioning that, so I assume it is related to the drain issue.
Truck window... if the other one works, power is not the problem. If the offending window goes down and not up or vice-versa, the motor is fine, you have a switching problem.  If it does neither, you have a switching problem OR a motor, or a connector unplugged.  My first suspect is the switch, but you likely have two switches that operate that window, the master at the driver's door, and one in the door panel on the passenger side. What do you suppose the odds are that both would fail at the same time?  Power feeds the driver's side switch panel first and then the harness jumps over to the passenger side switch, and then plugs into the motor harness. The switches just reverse polarity to make the motor run one direction or the other.... so following the power path, I would start at the driver side switch (it gets the most cycles) and check for power and function at that location. Sometimes a shot of WD and a blast of air will clean the contacts and cure all your ills at once.

Good Luck;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

i had a recent entanglement with the kitchen sink plug, i won! cheap fix, went to my local iron monger and bought a new one...sorted. we don't get much problems with the dishwasher, the wife puts them in the sink and i wash them...simples tongue

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Zurf I hope you get it fixed soon for not too much money,I hate plumming problems more then any other household problem.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

bushy243 wrote:

Zurf, I'm hearing you. Let me tell you about my water problems.
My wife and self are presently camped in our trailer at a place called Yallakool Dam in the wine region of Queensland. My problem is that with visiting local wineries, wine tasting and all, I have only been able to catch 2 Golden Perch and a bucket full of Red Claw (craw dads?) in the dam due to time constraints. To add to my woes, I have had to spend my evenings strumming my new Fender 00 traveller and sipping the days purchases as opposed to hitting the water. At the moment I am struggling with the pressure I am under, however, a return to work next week should cure the dilemma.

Happy days
Bushy

Seems awful.  How do you stand the pressure?

We're going to buy a new dishwasher.  It's not related to the drain problem.  Well...it's kind of related to the drain problem, but mostly it's related to the seals on the dishwasher door being old.  The pins in the basket are breaking off.  We've replaced most of the other appliances with a different color.  And so, we're getting a new dishwasher. 

We had One Trick Pony back ... again.  It seems to be draining now.  Our old plumber retired.  There is a local vent on the kitchen sink, but it is a looooong run from the kitchen sink to the main stack.  Food goo settles out before the water drains down the main stack.  We have started using an enzyme that is supposed to KEEP the line clear, but it doesn't GET the line clear.  Supposedly the guy ran 60 feet of snake line, but I don't believe it.  He also used a thin snake.  The old plumber used to use a much larger snake, and also had a much nastier looking head on it.  The One Trick Pony guys just have the one.  Next time, I'll go rent one and tear my hands up again.  It's not worth the hassle to get One Trick Pony.  I'm not going to trust them to do the external clean out.  I will have the plumbers who did most of the basement remodel work back to do anything once the guarantee expires. 

Hose bib - eh.  I'll get to it this weekend probably. 

If it's not a fuse on the truck, I'm not going to try to diagnose the problem.  Experience has taught me that doing so will just lead to larger bills at the mechanic, not to mention good humor among those capable men as I attempt to explain what I had done.  I do appreciate the time and effort put into giving an explanation, though.  Thank you for that.

Doug_Smith wrote:

Hi Zurf,  I'm on new anti-depressant drugs so I guess I'll toss in my .02 on this thread for whatever it's worth.

Good luck with those Doug.  They can work miracles if you stay on them.

Zurf wrote:

We had One Trick Pony back ... again.  I

With a dodgy name like that you are just asking for trouble, hahaha. It sounds like one those b rated comedies where the con posing as plumber rolls up and offers you the deal of the century and you fall for it hook, line and "plunger", while he burgles you house!!

I'm sure it wasn't like that but the name doesn't instill confidence!

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"