Topic: Back from my Doctor's Check-up

Just got home from M D Anderson Hospital in Houston, Tx where I underwent blood work, scans and x-rays as part of my kidney cancer treatments. This was a 3 month check-up. Got a really good report - the Doctor even said it was one of the best he has seen. My lungs, from the CT scans, showed up as being clear and in excellant shape. The lymph nodes continue to shrink and there is nothing signifigamt showing up there. This is the goodt news.

This is the bad news. About 2 weeks ago I developed a bad rash on my forearms, back of my hands, chest, back and legs. Luckly the rash did not show up anywhere that I could not scratch in public. I was told by the doctors to treat the rash with a cortizone cream and was given a pill for the itch. The rash has almost gone away but everywhere it was is peeling. Where the skin is peeling it is leaving a multitude sores. These are mostly on my hands where the skin was the thickest. Understant, I have a big mans hands that are used to doing work. Big, rough and a lotta calluses. The doctors at M D Anderson got the see this for the first time today. Their comments are that it is a reaction to the oral cancer meds and the SUN! I have been phishing a few times and working in my garden, as well. THyE SAID TO STAY OUTTA THE SUN - KEEP COVERED UP - WHEar LONG SLEEVE SHIRTS - BIG HATS TYO COVER FACE AND EARS - LONG PANTS - AND LOTS OF SUN SCREEN -OH DODO!
My hands look terrible, the skin is peeling everywhere. It's even peeling on the palms of my hands and all around my fingers where the skin is the thickest. I can feel the skin drawing up and getting tight. The texture of the skin has completely changed. I may even loose my calluses on my fingertips. I was told this reaction was typical of CHEMO burns and this would just take time to run it's course. I have stopped my oral meds for the next 2 weeks to see if this helps. When I restart i'll have to keep a sharp eye out for signs of the rash coming back. If it does there may need to be a medicine change in the future. The problem with that is what I am taking is keeping the cancer in check and working. It's the side affects that cause the problems.

NELA

Re: Back from my Doctor's Check-up

Good new about the Cancer!  That is ALWAYS a good thing.  The sun exposure drug reaction thing is however a miserable side effect.  I too take drugs that have those cautions, and have to be careful when outdoors.  Damn hard to do living up here where we only get about 3 months of sunny weather between rainy seasons and like to be out enjoying it.

Best advice I can give is limit your exposure and by all means use that SPF 9000!

Take care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Dang side effects. Stay positive NELA.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Sorry to hear about the nasty side-effects, NELA ... what a frickin' nuisance! This clip is a bit old, but here's Jeff Foxworthy's take on side effects:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSdNMRtvq5g

Hopefully a little giggle will help to lighten your load. Chin up, buddy!

Dad has that problem. We've bought him a wardrobe of sun protective clothing and it's helped him to stay comfortable. Fly fishing catalogs like Cabelas even have sun gloves and face covers. Dad likes the Cabelas Guidewear shirts best because they aren't too warm even in the summer.

Good luck with the side effects. Good news on the successful cancer treatment.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Looked at the Bass Pro Shop catalog last nite at their cloths, gloves and hats. Gonna be checking them out. Not sure what I'm gonna do about my garden, though. May get somebody to help on halves. Guess I'll have to spend more time night fishing. Good thing there are some weekly night tournaments close by so maybe I can win enpough money to buy all the clothes and gear I need. Not sure yet how my hand condition will affect my music but I know it's coming. I'm supposed to play this Friday night but right now they are just too sore and getting worse with the peeling.

NELA

Hi nela I am glad everything else is looking good,you can buy gloves that will cover most of your hands at a drug store they are for arthritis. Or simple go too your sock drawer at home and get some socks out and cut the ends of enough too allow you to move your fingers.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I am glad the main check up went well.  Sorry to hear about the meds side effects.  Thankful it's not more serious though (like effecting your lungs or whatnot).  I hope its more an issue with the sun than the meds altogether and it can get sorted out with sunblock, hats, and such. Take it easy on yourself NELA!  No overdoing it young man!  We love ya!!!!
Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Glad to hear all the good news!!!!! I'm sure things will heal up in no time. Heed the doctor's advice tho.

NELA wrote:

Guess I'll have to spend more time night fishing. NELA

That's when the BIG catfish are active. I remember catching some nice size bullhead at night with my dad. Lots of other critters are active at night too. We had fun trying to catch everything we saw.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!