Topic: mic's

Hi all, as you can see from a previous posting I was asking about the Digitech 2 which I now have but now I'm after advise about mic's looking for a good one.

Life is but a journey that I don't want to end, that now my day's with D and my guitar I spend.

Re: mic's

sure  sm 58   excellent  mic great  sound

There are a lot of good vocal mics out there.... and you can go broke collecting them, or.... get your hands on a Shure SM58 which is likely the best all-around piece of kit out there.  AKG makes some nice ones, but for the money and quality and durability you really have to go some to beat Shure.

As for pricing, it does pay to shop around, but I would expect you could gather one up for around $100 USD, or less. I own two, but wouldn't part with either of them, one is wired and the other wireless. I've tried less expensive microphones, and really really spendy ones, but in the end it all comes down to the frequency response range and you want the widest possible in your budget.  Some cheaper mics sound really good in the mid range but sound like crap in the high or low .... particularly if you are thinking about recording instruments with it as well. Some consideration should be given to your vocal range also.  Try before you buy if possible, and Happy Hunting!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

i have a few sure's, but my favorite is a beyrdynamic TG-X60. it has the deeper response that i like. before that i had a sure, i keep that so others can use it which was to replace a yamaha mic which was the best i've ever had or heard, it conked out but it's still in a drawer cos i cant bear to throw it away, and someone may be able to fix it some day...ever the optimist....

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

If you are price concerned,, Berhinger makes good stuff also. (basically knock offs of high end stuff)  I have a studio mic and its great.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Curious guys, those of you that are all over the 58... is there a preference for the 58 over the 57 for any particular reason?  It seems, from what I've read, that the 58 requires you to be all up in the mic and I'm adamantly against singing with my mouth nearly on the mic.  Just curious!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Amy the 57 is mainly for instruments .as a rule of thumb I say backing singers about 6 inch away lead singer up the Mic as close as it takes

8 (edited by Doug_Smith 2014-05-31 06:19:48)

Hi Amy,  Grah1 is correct, the SM57 is highly directional, the SM58 is cartoid and handles off-axis better without fade off.  Like all non "active" microphones, the output increases with proximity so you wind up being able to compensate volume by either getting closer or farther away from the element.  Which is why you see lead vocalists pull the mic away from themselves when reaching for the higher register and choking up a bit when lower.... something with how much air you nave to move through your larynx to get the note and how much volume you generate while doing so.

You could use either interchangably but you would kind of have to stay put with a 57 on a stand for vocals because of the narrow window of sensitivity, the 58 will give you some latitude to move a bit.

Hope that is helpful.

Take Care;
Doug

as the guy in the shop told me "the 58's a unidirectional (you can still be heard form the sides) the 57's got to be head on, which is aparently why rock singers use them. i move around too much, i'd miss most of my vocals. move my head without moving my legs that is...thought i'd clear that up big_smile

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Ok... I guess I had that backwards then.  I thought you had to be right up close w/ the 58 not the 57.  Makes sense.  I sing too loud to be right up in a mic, but then, I guess if it was quality it wouldn't matter so much.  Most of my experience w/ mic's has been karaoke or choir solos... so I have probably NEVER used a GOOD one anyhow!  LOL!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks guy's for your comments got the 58 will try it out tonight in our pub gamming night shame you cant join us, we have a great time every week

Life is but a journey that I don't want to end, that now my day's with D and my guitar I spend.

Well Roger?   Haven't seen your review yet.... so how'd 58 work out for you in that kind of venue?  Or did somebody just walk off with it while unattended?

Just Curious.

Take Care;
Doug