Topic: what are the best guage strings for elec. guitar?

I need new guitar strings and do not know what guage to get. any tips?

Re: what are the best guage strings for elec. guitar?

rockin,

The typical size is .009 for the high E string.  Make sure you get the strings made specifically for electric guitar.  Some of the brands to consider: GHS, D'adadrio (sp?), Ernie Ball.

I found 9s too easy to break, so went up to 10s and haven't yet managed to bust thin-E in my more kinetic moments.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Most guitars will have string gauges listed in their specs...then you can change to suit your needs. Fender Strats typically use 9-42 sets and Gibson Les Pauls 10-42...   Often slide players will use a heavier gauge and lots of blues players will tune down 1/2 step or so and then use heavy strings and bend like crazy to get their sound. Remember that if you change gauges then your guitar might need to be set up to accomodate them to prevent buzzing, etc.

If you can tell us what guitar you have then we can probably help you with some recommendations....

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.