Topic: What reason did you choose an electric guitar over an acoustic guitar.

I just submitted a similar question on the acoustic forum as some persons only choose to play electric guitars. What is your reasoning if you only play electric guitar besides that's all I have. As I mentioned on the acoustic forum no right or wrong answers just curious. I play both although I have to admit my electrics are three to one over my acoustics.

Bootlegger.

Re: What reason did you choose an electric guitar over an acoustic guitar.

I play both

my favorites the strat because when I want to rock I turn it on and up -  and when I want to practice the technique - while the missus is watching casualty or ER or House I turn it off.

never give up the washburn though.

depends on ur music genre preferences. some music like folk and classic country u just have to play on acoustic. rock, pop and rock country u pretty much have to play on electric. Since i like all genres, I play both guitars.

To truly get the most out of the whole guitar experience I beleive one needs to have both. When I have someone over and they just happen to be a fellow guitar player I will offer them my acoustic and I can cut loose  on lead of course on the electric, unless they are better than me I will let them play the electric. For the most part for me my electric is for jammin with others or jammin with recorded music

what a long strange trip it's been

I chose an electric because it's the sounds that I hear in my head all the time.
I learned a lot faster on an electric than I ever did in my 12 years of playing around with an acoustic.

See...I had an acoustic since I was a child but I could never get it to make the sounds that connected with my heart.
Because of that, I never took playing the guitar seriously or really practiced. I learned one song on one string in the whole 12 years that I had that acoustic guitar.

Then when I got my first electric guitar....wow, the floodgates opened up. I started trying to play everything I could hear. TV commercials, songs on the radio, songs that played on my kids toys. EVERYTHING!
Heck, I played the theme song to "The Backyardigans" for a good 2 weeks before I moved on to the next thing to play. =p

Now that I have had experience with electric guitar I am very interested in going back and getting an acoustic so that I can expand my abilities. I also want an acoustic because I don't have to set it up and take out all the equipment to play it loud. I would be able to hear the acoustic outside without an amp. If I play my electric guitar without an amp it sounds very quiet and "tinny". The Acoustic guitar would let me hear everything loud and require no setup time.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I chose it, because I would probably break a hollow bodied one.
cool danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

My reasons were pretty much summed up by Detman.  To me there is no sound like the sound of an amplified electric guitar.  I grew up listening to Rock and I always wanted to emulate the sounds I heard from the guitar.  I would like to get an acoustic one day but only after an upgrade on the electric side of things.

To me, electric is more versatile, you have so many distortion options, whereas if you try to add distortion to an acoustic you get lots of feedback and sounds that just seem to ruin the softer, smoother tone you normally want from an acoustic guitar... oh yea, and its hard to play blues on most acoustics, you cant bend very easily

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥