Topic: DROP C AND D

Are there any advantages to drop c and d other than eisier to play powerchords?

Re: DROP C AND D

They give a heavier and fuller feel to the music but thats about it. They are generally used in metal and harcore stuff with high gain distortion.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

Dropped tunings opens up a wonderous world for fingerstyle playing...I play a lot in dropped D and double dropped D.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I first tried drop D a few years ago, and still use it a bit... But I fell in love with D modal tuning. You still get some great power chords but there are DOZENS of usefull one and two finger open chords available. ( most of them are dim or dim6 but that just adds a jazzy kind of feel )

Try it..I love it.

(DADGAD for those who don't yet know.)

Keep in mind that your results will vary, shake before using and do not operate heavy machinery while using this product.
smile

I also started playing in Drop-D about 2 weeks after picking up the guitar because I wanted to play "Green Day" songs and the standard tuning style power-chords were too hard for my weak fingers.

I recently discovered "Drop-D Modal" (Double Drop-D) thanks to Neil Young and 2 songs of his that I am IN LOVE with right now. "Cinnamon Girl" and "Cortez the Killer" have grabbed my heart and renewed my love of this instrument.

Right now I feel like....Even if I never play in front of anyone or with a band, I love playing and listening to these two songs so much that it's enough.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

6 (edited by Clamwacker 2007-06-20 09:48:46)

I've done a lot of drop-D tuning, mostly for metal and rock riffs, but I've never tried drop-C.  It seems like the string would fall right off the guitar, or at least you'd get nasty buzz.  I'll have to give it a shot next time I restring.

Question, though: Do you think dropping to D/C and then tuning back up to E repeatedly will shorten the life of your strings, or even risk breaking them?  Or is it no big deal?  I like to occasionally drop to D when I'm playing for friends, just so I can lay out some Pantera or Tool, and occasionally I go 1/2 step down on all the strings for some GnR, but I haven't tried dropping down more than a full step on any given string.  I restring regularly, so I'm really just curious if dropping hurts your strings at all.

quick edit: What about tuning up?  How far can you go, and is there any point?  I can't think of examples where you would need to tune up.

Clamwacker wrote:

I've done a lot of drop-D tuning, mostly for metal and rock riffs, but I've never tried drop-C.  It seems like the string would fall right off the guitar, or at least you'd get nasty buzz.  I'll have to give it a shot next time I restring.

Question, though: Do you think dropping to D/C and then tuning back up to E repeatedly will shorten the life of your strings, or even risk breaking them?  Or is it no big deal?  I like to occasionally drop to D when I'm playing for friends, just so I can lay out some Pantera or Tool, and occasionally I go 1/2 step down on all the strings for some GnR, but I haven't tried dropping down more than a full step on any given string.  I restring regularly, so I'm really just curious if dropping hurts your strings at all.

quick edit: What about tuning up?  How far can you go, and is there any point?  I can't think of examples where you would need to tune up.

On the note of weakening strings, I tune my electric to c and d A LOT and the strings are fine but hte guitar now comes out of tune a lot eisier. :-(

i still can't figure out how to tune any other kind of tuning besides standerd.

deaken316 wrote:

i still can't figure out how to tune any other kind of tuning besides standerd.

Well, If you want to tune to drop C, youll need a tuner, but if you want to quickly tune to drop d, well, wait. you know how when tuning your guitar, you make one string holding on the fifth fret sound like the next one? well, to tune to drop D, hold down on the 7th fret of the low E string, and make that sound like the open A string. to tune back, make the fifth fret of the E string sound like the open A string.

i love both drop d and drop c tuning. they give a much fuller and heavier feeling to my playing. i play a lot of metal so it really works for me, and i have some riffs that sound really great on drop c, and in order to play some songs by disturbed and godsmack(two of my favorite bands) you need drop c tuning.

Have you ever thought of a world with no hypothetical situations??