Topic: The Thoughtful Commuter

The Thoughtful Commuter by Jeff Gilpin

7/25/2014

Verse 1

[Em]Stuck to my seat

As I’m [Em]driving down the street and

Onto the [D]on ramp that’s leading to the [A]highway.

[Em]Pass through all the rows

With all the [Em]stops and all the goes

Like so [D]many, it’s how I begin [A]my day.

[Em]Finding my place

Just a[Em]nother endless face

[D]Behind my eyes are thoughts no one could [A]guess.

About the [Em]future and the past

Just how [Em]long will our world last

A [D]few more thousand years or maybe [A]less.

Chorus 1

And [Bm]what about the people then?

I [Bm]wonder how the days begin.

I [A]doubt those days will begin like mine.

[Bm]Will our race evolve

[Bm]Or will our race dissolve

Until a[A]nother race begins another [G]time [Em] [D] [A]

Verse 2

A [Em]blinker on my right

And I [Em]wave to say alright

As [D]I make some room to let him [A]merge.

I’m [Em]thankful for the sign

[Em]Because far too many times

They just [D]cut me off without so much as a [A]word.

I [Em]used to care about

All those [Em]other cars about

Me as I [D]traveled from home to work to [A]home.

Now [Em]I just give them room

Even [Em]those who drive like loons

And [D]pay too much attention to their [A]phones.

Chorus 2

[Bm]For those folks I’m pretty sure

Will [Bm]sometime soon have to endure

The [A]consequences of their inattention.

[Bm]I just hope I’m out of town

[Bm]When the reaper comes around

Col[A]lecting both the bad and well in[G]tentioned. [Em] [D] [A] [Asus4] [Asus2] [A]

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: The Thoughtful Commuter

Jets it is a good day to day description of many peoples lives,youu put it down good in this song.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I like the idea and the lyrics but not sure how it is intended to be played genre wise good concept tho smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Well said Jets. I'd like to hear you play it.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Thanks for the comments. Russ, I'll put it up on soundcloud soon, but I play it in a bit of a folk rock style.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Its  good  to  take inspiration from daily  life ,I  think it  often makes  for  interesting  lyrical  content  not  just  the  same  old  "she loves you  yeah yeah "stuff nice  work Jeff looking forward  to the   sound  cloud  track

Thanks Graham...I'll try and get it up sometime today.

J  E  T  S

Here you go...for those who would like to hear how it goes: https://soundcloud.com/jets60/the-thoughtful-commuter

J  E  T  S

Sounds great  Jeff

Hi jets sounds good and you sound like you are worried while singing it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks Graham & Dino. Yep Dino, I am worried. Worried I'll screw up my vocals and chord changes. smile I'm a reluctant performer even on my best days.

J  E  T  S

Jets at least you have a good voice,I have a really bad singing voice. I would have stumbled through the whole song worried.

Jets really nice job! You shouldn't be so reluctant, you are pretty good! I'll be thinking of your song tomorrow on my way to work! Thank you for sharing with us!

Jets, I too am a reluctant performer and I had fun playing along with your recording.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Thanks you all. smile

J  E  T  S

Another nice one Jeff.
We'll done.
Ark

Jets. These are great lyrics, very topical. In my humble opinion a few slightl adjustments through  the verses to make it fit into a heavy 4/4 beat with a lead break before repeating C2.Then fade guitar to  Da Capo.
You'll have em rocking in the isles mate.

Thick as two short planks

Thanks Ark and JKR for the advice. I will check out your recommended adjustments. Would love to hear your take on the song as well if you want email me a scratch recording, or put it up some where I can listen to.

J  E  T  S