Topic: Selling Guitars

As everyone knows, guitar prices are very high. Concerning new guitars, George Gruhn is an "authority" he writes interesting things. But there is another guy in Las Vegas: ED ROMAN, who seems in my eyes "very strange". He will make you a diamond fender if you ask it, because he claims really to be a kind of superman for guitars. He compares PRS with JET, and all his guitars are superior to others. WHAT CAN WE BELIEVE HERE?????? Are there chordians (I see they start to use this nice word) who have the Las Vegas experience, or "Roman guitars found in Vegas" no ancient Greek guitars but ROMAN

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: Selling Guitars

I've never heard of the guy. I will check to see if there is any info on the net.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Ed Roman has a store in Vegas, I have seen it but not been inside (business trip did not have the time to go and see). Per Ed's site he does have alot of fine crafted guitars and from a builders stand point his comments and refinements on PRS guitars are valid. I myself like his Quickslver & Jaros lines his pearl castors are also realy nice and expensive yet cheaper than a PRS. He also likes the Michael Kelly line as he deals mainly in American made guitars.  Go browse his site and make your desision from there.

Bootlegger.

I looked on his website many, many times, and I do agree, it are really beautiful guitars he makes, or give a fender stratocaster a complete different look. I just don't understand why he is always "against" other guitars, who did not go through his store.
I know that here in Europe there are regulations concerning publicity, like you are not allowed to make negative publicity concerning, or comparing to similar products. Also, knowing my profession, I am NOT ALLOWED TO WRITE CARDS AND DISTRIBUTE THEM. WE, ALSO LAWYERS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO MAKE PUBLICITY. So you can start working somewhere, and the people have to figure it out: what, where, and how. In my eyes this is still retarded comparing to the USA

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Ed Roman's big claim is 'Largest Guitar Store In The World', almost made me want to go to Vegas. I wondered what the largest store in the UK was so I tried a few websearches and found that not only do UK guitar shops not brag about size most are small 'Ma&Pop' operations. Personally I think this is healthy, no particular brand dominates and there's real choice and competition.

In some ways guitars have never been cheaper, quality is way up too. Just been in a store called 'Hobgoblin' who stock alot of 'BlueRidge' steel strings and very nice they sound too. Went into 'GuitarBase' earlier in the week and handled a basic PRS soapbar II, spec tells me they are good but there's something about the feel or finish that doesn't quite get me to ask to plug it in.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

I met Roman at a Guitar Show in Dallas and he does make some very fine custom guitars...but he also has an ego at least twice as big as Dallas Texas and commands a price for it. He was very quick to say bad things about other makers that I felt was unnecessary. I think I'll invest in other instruments when I can...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

that's an answer.
We "the European brancce of chordians" charter a plane and fly to the USA to buy guitars, $ < €
1 problem: customs. But if you want a guitar: ebay.com and pick one out. Even when the guitar arrives at your place, it still cost you a lot cheaper. Best way to know the import price & taxes included, your instrument: 1000$ in Europe she will arrive for easy calulation, and you will pay the same price in € still a lot cheaper than in the store, something broken? Never with an electric, but the acoustic guitars: they neck/headstock can give problems. If such a guitar is ordered, ask to remove the strings, or if that's impossible, unwind the strings, so no more tension on it.