1 (edited by TIGLJK 2014-12-09 22:30:39)

Topic: Phill sings Jim's song " Shooting Star" - two versions!

Phill is incredible -enough said! 

He recorded two versions of my song.

I love 'em both, but one is really my favorite - he shows his passion and superb abilities !! .

See if you think like me, let me know if you like it, and if you do , which one do you like better ?

Thanks for listening ! :

https://soundcloud.com/tigljk/shooting- … ng-phill-w 

https://soundcloud.com/tigljk/shooting- … ng-phill-w

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Re: Phill sings Jim's song " Shooting Star" - two versions!

Both are great but for my money I prefer the slightly slower V2 version.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Both versions  are  good and  as I said in the  song writing  post  having  two versions  of the  same  song  can be  good  .I  think  personal preference  by  the  performer  is  the  way  to  go  with  this  one  as both  are  great .

My favourite is V2. Jim's post said rock and roll, so I went that way first. When I played it on piano later I realised the slower blues version suited the song (in my opinion) better. I could be wrong, give your opinions please.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I listened to both versions a few times and there are merits to both, version one is slower and has a New Orleans jazz feel to it I kind of liked this version more, my only criticism would be the length of the 1st keyboard solo 2 bars would have been sufficient as more of a fill before the next verse, the keyboard solo should have replaced the guitar solo which to be honest dragged a bit and was a bit over the top in the mix with a few bad notes thrown in but overall is the best take of the two. I liked the backing vocals in version two nice touch on that Phill, the keyboard solo was a little to quiet in the mix the longer solos seem to be a passing thing today more emphasis  is placed on lyrical content that said this is a good collaboration overall and I think your efforts deserve an honest opinion smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I liked both versions very good work,I do lean a little more too the blues/jazz feel.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I preferred  the version that featured the keyboard as the lead. Just seemed a little more seamless than guitar lead version.
ark