1 (edited by TIGLJK 2018-06-19 16:40:46)

Topic: The Sun Is Burning Out ( Song tribute to Townes Van Zandt)

[c: O.K. – this is a whole story – bear with me
It started by me watching this video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUML2yWVn8c showing Steve Earl, Rodney Crowell, Guy and Susanna Clark having a blast jamming – singing  stay all night.   I was so enthralled – thinking that it was so cool – I wish I could have been there at that table – drinking and jamming.
Well then I was reading about Townes Van Zandt’s life – a pretty sad story for a good musician.   That’s when I came across this –video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb7LVzx_twU  – Guy Clark talking about Van Zandt’s life.  The whole story is freaking funny about nailing the door shut……. But the inspiration came to me at the  3:40 mark of this video.   You have to watch the video to really get my song.  I hope you enjoy the videos and like my song.   

The Sun Is Burning Out ( Tribute to Townes Van Zandt) Jim Kenyon

[Em] When he was just a little boy, he was taught to follow rules

He combed his  hair n’ brushed his teeth

[B7 ] he even shined his shoes

He [Em] always said “whythank you m’aam”, n' went to[Am] church every week

He [Em] learned thatwhen his grampa’s talkin’, he[B7]better wait his turn to [Em]speak

[Em]Heopened doorsfor the ladies , n’ bowed his head for prayer

He proudly said pledge allegiance 

[B7] And made sure he didn’tswear

Oh he [Em] said graceat the dinner table , n’ he [Am]never, never waslate

He [Em] kept his elbows off the tableand he [B7]always sat up real [Em] straight

(Instrumental stuff)[Am][Em][Am] [B7] [Am][Em]

[Em] Hestudied hard and got good grades, but one day at his school

The teacher told him that the sun’s  burning out

[B7] And he felt just like a fool

And [Em] from that moment in his life, ya see [Am]everything got changed

well [Em]somethingsnapped inside his head, [B7] and thoserules were broken [Em] chains

[B7]somethingsnapped inside his head,and thoserules were broken [Em] chains

And he sang… ( play faster !) 

[Em] Excuse meteacherdid I hear you say

That the sun isburning [B7] out?

Well don’t expect me to live that way

I’m getting wasted, without a [Em]doubt

[Em]I’m notwaiting for the end of the world

I ain’t playing by no [Am] rules

[B7] I’m living my life the wayI want because

This world’s a ship of [Em] fools

[Em]Now everybody heed Townes' words, he was right times running out

You know we ain’t  gonna live forever

[B7]believe it, there a'int no doubt

So[Em]cherish every dayyou have,time[Am] goes by so damn fast

En[Em]joy your life the best you can, make [B7]every moment [Em]last

[Em] Excuse meteacherdid I hear you say

That the sun isburning [B7] out?

Well don’t expect me to live that way

I’m getting wasted, without a [Em]doubt

[Em]I’m notwaiting for the end of the world

I ain’t playing by no [Am] rules

[B7] I’m living my life the wayI want because

[B7] I’m living my life the wayI want

This world’s a ship of [Em]fools

[B7] Well don’t expect me to live that way

(Instrumental stuff)[Am][Em][Am] [B7] [Am][Em]

much slower

[B7] I’m living my life the wayI want

This world’s a ship of [Em] fools.

slide the Em chord up and down neck to end

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

2 (edited by Grah1 2014-12-10 16:15:24)

Re: The Sun Is Burning Out ( Song tribute to Townes Van Zandt)

I like  this  Jim  its  got  great  potential

I enjoyed your writing & look forward to hearing it tonight.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

4 (edited by TIGLJK 2014-12-12 02:15:58)

Thank you .  I tweaked it a bit today ( had some time because of winter storm) - nothing major - couple of lyric touch ups and switched chords to Em, B7, and A- easier for me to play and I think sounds a lot better..
I am still in awe of those old time guys how they used to collaborate over a table with some drink, smoke, guitars  and friends. So cool.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I took the soundcloud link of me playing and (almost) singing off the original post as I want to re-do the music using the chords as shown now.  It makes a world of difference and makes the song sooo much better.  I'll get it done this weekend and re -post the song with lyric and chord changes.  I'm just a rookie - lesson learned - don't post stuff until you get it right , and it takes a lot of work to get it right !!!!!! smile   All you "chordians - have a great week end !  Live like the Sun IS Burning Out !!!!

nice one jim, i like story songs. the weathers taking a turn for the worse here too....rain, wind and more rain

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hey Jim - I do remember this. The words really flow and I can hear Townes singing it in my head.     

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Jeff

because of the post you made on Brian's song. I spent the evening enjoying listening to some TVZ, Guy Clark, Steve Earle, Rodney Crowell among othres - also watched a bit of the movie Heartworn Highways.
Steve Earle's son Justin Townes Earle is named after TVZ 
Thanks for the motivation to travel down memory lane - I had a great evening
and Justin wrote a song called Christchurch Woman - about a woman in New Zealand !   Peatle and Brian and Jan - ever been to Christchurch ?   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU1xL6rDAZI

Thanks again

Jim     

smile Well I'm glad I could start you down that path...I'm a Steve Earle fan, but I need to listen to some more of JTE's music; although, I have heard a few. I was playing one of my favorite TVZ songs, For the Sake of the Song, just the other day. So simple yet so very complex...both the meaning of the words and how Townes sings and plays the song.     

J  E  T  S

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Guitar chord forum - chordie → Songwriting → The Sun Is Burning Out ( Song tribute to Townes Van Zandt)