Topic: Do instruments really define the people who play them?

This question has always been in the back of my mind, and I was just reading a book that brought it up. Do you think that just because someone is passionate about playing a certain instrument means they have certain character traits or qualities? In my mind I've set these... stereotypes, for lack of a better word.
piano- perfectionist, pays attention to detail
violin- deep, focused, pensive
guitar- loose, alternative
drums- erratic, inconsistent

Does anyone else think this? Maybe it's just me lol.
Rock on
Kori

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

Re: Do instruments really define the people who play them?

What about the bagpipes - inconsiderate of other peoples's feelings?

I think it has more to do with the shape of their skull.

How About the down and out Blues Harp, or the feel good Snare Drum .
....Badeye.

one caper after another

I think it's kind of more like you instrument reflects your social qualities. People who are shy, play something quiet like the flute, people about in the middle might play the saxophone, and those loud obnoxious people probably play a trumpet. And from what I've seen those people who are spastic and run around doing crazy things will play four or five different instruments. Thats just what I've seen.

Hi jpage_roxmysox
I don't think so.
Each instrument mentioned can be played by various characters and in different ways.
ie. Guitar can be played by someone who is a perfectionist, pays attention to detail or any other of character traits mention for other instruments.
Same works for the other instruments.
I don't think you can pigeon hole any type of Character to any kind of instrument.

Ark

Hi Roxmysox,
Very shortly i will be among all of the above mentioned { except Bagpipes} A hundred or more! Ive been Going to this festival for years, Its fantastic. Folk, Blues, jazz,and Trad irish /modern, You name they have it!  All Fantastic Musicians! Pensive {NO} Quiet Yes! early in the morning  when we think someone is  playing  the Bagpipes inside our heads?... A couple of gallons of water and by 12 noon we are rareing to go again untill the wee small hours?  One long beautiful week of { Ceol agus craic } Music and Fun.   Then a month to recover!! But thanks for posing the question?
I only know one person who reflects the instrument he plays?  "Our very own James McCormck" Auto Harp. Fantastic!
Take a bow James!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hey,
It's true, people's personality aren't ALWAYS cultivated by what instrument they play. Seems that way though, huh?
Being a saxophonist in a band, I tend to notice these things:
Trumpets - Loud, whiney drama queens.
Drummers - Most of the time, ignorant.
Flutes/Clarinets - Quiet. Very quiet.
Saxophones - Try to be noticed, but are mostly ignored. Very cynical and some would do better as comedians.
Basses/Trombones - Again, quieter than they should be and ignored.
Violins - Loud, happy people, but still have that "strings player" feeling around them.
Cellos - Concentrate a lot.
Pianos - Perfectionists. Some (emphasis on "some") aren't very likeable.
Sorry if I offended anyone, I am a bit cynical and hard-headed.

Jikklop

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't got the joke yet.

Old Doll, sounds like a really fun time. You mentioned Irish music, although I'm more of an indie/punk rocker myself I hold a soft spot in my heart for traditional Irish music. I recently went to see a local all girl trad Irish band. They were amazing! i am not normally a fan of fiddles, as they seem somewhat obnoxious, but the fiddler was simply spectacular!

Jikklop, after reading your post I realized that asome of what I've marked in my head as stereotypical, is often that way because of only one or two people. I LOL at some points of your post, my ex-boyfriend used to play the trumpet haha. I'm getting this strange vibe that you don't get noticed as much as you would like to be...
Oh yea, and how did you think of your name Jikklop. It's fun to type because all of the letters are right next to eachother, lol, sorry, kind of random.

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

As far a guitar players are there peronality traits based on the brand, model and type of guitar one chooses

what a long strange trip it's been

Goodnight to you Patrick jacques.

Yes! I think like every other walk in life, The most expensive  Guitar will not make the best player! It might make them feel good! I have friends who can pick up the cheapest of guitars, and sound like " John Martyn" They are just excellent musicians,
Old Doll.

Yes, patrickjacques - I do believe that a player's choice of a specific instrument, or the model or style of an instrument is one way of peering into their psyche.  Most people think long and hard before buying whatever instrument they happen to play.

Here is a site with lots of good, clean jokes about musicians:
http://www.mit.edu/~jcb/jokes/

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

How could you James A GRÃ ,

Include our wonderful BODHRAN PLAYERS? in that  list? LOL

Have you never heard of or Seen" River Dance"? You are surely not that rural?

The best rythem beat in the world! "WITH OR WITHOUT GUINNESS" or anything else liquid for that matter!

This tribal sound  inate in all of us as Irish People and  our Culture helped us overcome 800 years of oppression !  Now Allannah  {DARLING} i will just put this down to overload in your "Micro Chip" Overworked and not  enough pleasure time!  You may need a "Soft Place To Fall " Probably due to overload at "SONIC"?. So mull over this! Mó Grá?  Except for your self and "AUTO Harp"
Now thats a totally different Schéile.  {STORY}

Pleasant Dreams.

Old Doll.

I am duly chastised, Old Doll and shall grovel before the next bodhran player I meet and beseech them to forgive my impudence!  Since you found the last batch so infuriating, perhaps this next site will be as a balm unto your fury:
http://www.ducksdeluxe.com/jokes.html

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Good Morning James,
Im not angry at all. In Fact i feel very much alive "Thank You".

Some Folk  here say  " The only way to play the Bodhran is with a good Sharp Knife?

I just happen to love the Vibrancy when its played properly!

Now i Need to get off my butt and Bodhran Myself into doing some work!
May the Sun shine on you today!
Slán
Old Doll.
ps Yes! The Balm Worked!

Oh yea, and how did you think of your name Jikklop. It's fun to type because all of the letters are right next to eachother, lol, sorry, kind of random.

I copied the idea off my brother, who's name normally Dewers.

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't got the joke yet.

Old Doll wrote:

Goodnight to you Patrick jacques.

Yes! I think like every other walk in life, The most expensive  Guitar will not make the best player! It might make them feel good! I have friends who can pick up the cheapest of guitars, and sound like " John Martyn" They are just excellent musicians,
Old Doll.

Your right those expensive guitars wont make you play any better but you must admit that they are such a pleasure. I went to a luthiers show yesterday and saw some of the most beautiful works of art I have ever seen in my whole life. Nothing at all that I could ever afford to buy but what a treat to see and try. Nearly brought tears to my eyes

Hi Patrickjaques,
I had a beautiful Guitar for 30 years! When i got my new one Nearly 3 years ago now, I brought my old one to the local thrift shop,, hoping it would help someone else! 3 of my 8 brothers nearly went into homes for the belwildered !when they heard what id done! As secretly they all admitted they would have loved it! Lesson here "ASk and Receive" They never did ask?  Now! How much was Guitar you wanted?  Ill Get my Cheque Book! lol .  You need to write it on a want note! Think about it a lot and it will manifest itself to you!
Slán
Old Doll.

I HAD A AGENCY DRIVER WHO SAID HE'D PLAYED BACKING TO SOME OF THE FAMOUS STARS & SINGERS AND MAKES THOUSANDS DOING RECORDING SESSIONS IN LONDON ,I MEARLY ASKED HIM TO GIVE US A SONG ON MY £99 ACOUSTIC
AND HE FLATLY REFUSED,IT WAS AS THOUGH IT WAS BENEATH HIM AFTER PLAYING HIS £6000 STRAT, I FELT ASHAMED TO BE IN HIS COMPANY THAT SOME-ONE OF HIS EXPERTISE COULD'NT   GIVE A AMATEUR PLAYER THE TIME OF DAY SO I JUST BRUSHED IT ASIDE AND THOUGHT I'M JUST AS GOOD AS YOU BECAUSE I GIVE MY TIME TO HELP OTHERS .

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

And while im here, I need to thank you" Mhebert", while cleaning out some papers today, i came across some "Irish Music links" you sent me! some time ago now.  Well i did learn 2 songs from the list, so a very  belated " Thank you" to you.
Slán
Old Doll.

Hey daddycool the guy was most likely full of bull and if not  even worse full of himself

Hey there old doll you are very sweet and I will take your advise

DaddyCool,

Thats the  right way to think on life! Quote " The bigger a Mans head gets
the easier it is to fill his shoes". End of.

Slán
Old Doll.

acmecorp wrote:

What about the bagpipes - inconsiderate of other peoples's feelings?

From James' Joke site

Why do bagpipe players walk while they play?
To get away from the noise.

Too Funny,
Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

But what about people who play more than one insturument, they must have pretty mixed up personalities...
I think the music they listen too also defines a person, or at least the mood they're in when they're listening to it.

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.