Topic: Autograph or Signiture Models

I have heard some say to stay away from signiture or autograph models when purchacing a guitar. Whats your opinion and why ?

what a long strange trip it's been

Re: Autograph or Signiture Models

I have never heard this before.

As you may have noticed, I have a Gretsch 6120 Nashville (Brian Setzer Signiture Model).

I bought this guitar because Gretsch designed and built this model to Brian Setzer's specifications, they modelled the internal strutting on guitars from the fifties that Brian particularlly liked. The guitar's sustain is increased because of this design.

I would imagine that if someone just had their name or signiture painted on an instrument that it wouldn't add value, but on the other hand how could the value be decreased?

Gretsch have produced Chet Atkins guitars for years and some of these are now worth big bucks.

I really would like to see an explanation of this viewpoint that made any sense.

cheers
David

Hey David, I too have a signiture model I own the Gibson Lucille. I love every thing about it. I am just curious about the feedback I have recieved from other people and the fact that besides BB King why I never seen anyone else playing one. And by the way your Gretch has always been one of my dream guitars

I've just been over to the Gibson site to take a look at the Lucille.

It looks really nice.

I've never played a Gibson, but if BB King's sound is anything to go by, it must sound brilliant. Mick Jones from the Clash loved BB King and only ever played Gibsons owing to his influence. The Clash have always been one of my favorite bands so I think I'd appreciate your guitar.

What is that strange looking knob/dial above the volume controls?

By the way, I had to wait until I was 48 years old to get that Gretsch, My friend at university back in the 80's had a fiftes Gretsch that he picked up in a junk shop in the UK for £20!  Since then, I always wanted one. Suffice to say, I had to pay a whole lot more for mine.

all the best

David

I think that you should consider the product...several companies made Signature models that are designed and approved by the the Artist. Most of those are excellent instruments and are often good investments. As mentioned Gretsch has the Brian Setzler and Rev. Horton Heat models. Gibson has Lucille. Gibson and Gretsch both have made Chet Atkins models. Fender makes lots of Artist models. Gand L makes several...the Will Ray model is a great guitar!
One of my favorite and most versatile guitars is a Peavey Wolfgang...Eddie Van Halen signature model.

The ones that I would be afraid of, especially on ebay, etc., would be Artist Autographed guitars. Those are often cheap, low grade instruments that are autographed by an artist as a promotion or fundraising event. The value in those is due mainly to the value of the Autograph and not necessarily the instrument.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Actually I have only been a gibson player for about a year now. My last electric guitar was a sgniture Stratocaster  (Eric clapton). I went into  a guitar store just shopping around. I told the salesman that I was in the market for a Gretch. I have never played one by the way. I have just always thought they were coolist looking thing. Anyway the salesmen asked if I was  a jazz player and when I told him blues was my thing he said try this and placed the Lucille in my hands. Well that was it for me , after nogotiating I walked out with Lucille. The knob you asked about has 5 settings for different sound tones

jaygordon75 wrote:

I think that you should consider the product...several companies made Signature models that are designed and approved by the the Artist. Most of those are excellent instruments and are often good investments. As mentioned Gretsch has the Brian Setzler and Rev. Horton Heat models. Gibson has Lucille. Gibson and Gretsch both have made Chet Atkins models. Fender makes lots of Artist models. Gand L makes several...the Will Ray model is a great guitar!
One of my favorite and most versatile guitars is a Peavey Wolfgang...Eddie Van Halen signature model.

The ones that I would be afraid of, especially on ebay, etc., would be Artist Autographed guitars. Those are often cheap, low grade instruments that are autographed by an artist as a promotion or fundraising event. The value in those is due mainly to the value of the Autograph and not necessarily the instrument.

As jaygordon75 said, artist models are endorsed by the certain artist some made to specs of the original artist requirements.  Most are copies are made overseas and do not carry the price tag of USA made guitars. The actual guitars used by many of the guitarst carry the manufacture's name but are custom made guitars by their custom shops and or what are called ghost builders, custom luithers.

Bootlegger.

um..i think signature guitars seems like advertising someone else. like i would never buy a zack wylde finish guitar, or i would never play it at a gig. because it seems like your saying why are you here when you can be at there show