Topic: They're back!!!

We have 2 male hummingbirds already coming to our feeder, this year. Last year there was over 20 coming to the 1 feeder we had out. This year we plan on placing a couple of more feeders out.

nela

Re: They're back!!!

NELA wrote:

This year we plan on placing a couple of more feeders out.

nela

Good idea!  Mine fight over food like a pack of starving mongrels!

We have one variety that "winters over" so our feeder stays out almost year-round.  The "bird folks" over at the University say they follow the sap-suckers around and poach their food, and eat bugs in the wintertime.  Yeah..... bugs in winter?  Might know a lot about birds, but really need to talk to the bug-guys when they aren't hugging Unicorns and skipping through Fantasyland.  But I digress....

Last year my "flock" deserted for the neighbor's, and I had thought they didn't do well through the freeze.  Then I found out that they had doubled the sugar in their feeder!  Got them back though, put Ruby Red Squirt in mine for "color" and increased the sugar as well.... the whole bunch of "deserters" got "hooked" on the caffeine and vitamin C.  At sun-up they'd be lined up like cars at a Dutch Bros. Expresso Stand!

Have a good Spring!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Last year, when all the hummingbirds would swarm the feeder, I would go out and stand real still next to it and I have had them lite on my shoulders, head and arms. Our feeder(s) are made where they can light on them while they sip the "nectar" and usually there ia one that will stay there and try to chase all the others away. Our biggest problem is with the honey bees finding the feeders and taking them over.

Nela

Have never seen hummingbirds in the wild, but would love to do so. When I visited Zurf in Washington DC a few years back, there were feeders hanging all over the place, but no birds. They had migrated elsewhere, apparently (this was in August).
Saw a TV prog about the Arctic recently & there is a hummingbird that migrates there all the way from Mexico. It arrives in the Arctic before there are any flowers to feed on, but survives on tree sap (I think)!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

I have a friend that puts 4-5 feeders out every year. She' been doing this for 10 years and has dozens of hummingbirds that show up every year. All that wing thumping when they're all around at one time can sound like a large helicopter off in the distance.