Topic: Artist vs. Artiste

Selso's question has reminded me of one of my queries. I was brought up with the following definitions:

To me an artist is a guy/gal who draws, paints or sculpts.

A person who performs (be it acting, dancing or music) is an artiste.

The pronunciation and spelling is different, but I have noticed on TV and in magazines/papers this definition does not seem to be used much.

Has it been officially changed? Is it due to laziness and auto spell-checking? Or are youngsters just not taught correct English these days?

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Re: Artist vs. Artiste

I would choose "C"  All of the above....

Like you I was taught that there was a difference between creative arts and performance arts.  The "Americanization" of English kind of just grouped everything together into "The Arts" and hence the one common usage of "Artist".  Not saying that it is right or wrong.

But aren't we happy that we can remember when it was not so....? smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I guess it's changed from artiste to Performing Artist.  I was contemplating that whole thing last night.  I kinda said I'm not an artist, but that's not true.  I am.  Maybe not a great one, or one that makes money, but still an artist none the less.  Hey, even the really terrible artists have a place in this world.  You wouldn't be able to differentiate good vs. bad if there was no bad right?  ha ha ha!

And with that, I redirect you to to MOBA, the Museum of Bad Art:  http://www.museumofbadart.org/index.php

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Around here, we use the description "Daddy's drinking on the porch swing again."  It's a long word, but aptly describes most of my performances.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

http://www.2dayblog.com/images/2012/may/550x-Facebook-like-thumbs-up-symbol.jpg

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I'm a card carrying member of MOBA. But I have a great time doing what I do.  lol....

Wut chu meen dat hour chillen doan use good englesh dese dayz. Ifn you ax me wes be talken ass good ass udder folks do butz wes just doit wid axcents.

nela

Either way you word it, it's for someone else to decide and here's a guy to illustrate my point:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff71/Drummerboy49/toulouse2.jpg

(If someone could fix this for me so it'll show, I'd sure appreciate it. I've been working on it for about an hour now and I'm exhausted.)

Thanks and have a great weekend, everyone.

Bill

** img for photo Bill not url click on edit and you can see what I did, Roger **

** Ooops just seen the next post and Russ has done it too smile **

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Either way you word it, it's for someone else to decide and here's a guy to illustrate my point:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff71/Drummerboy49/toulouse2.jpg

(If someone could fix this for me so it'll show, I'd sure appreciate it. I've been working on it for about an hour now and I'm exhausted.)

Bill

Here ya go just replace the url with img in the link

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:
Strummerboy Bill wrote:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff71 … louse2.jpg

Bill

Here ya go just replace the url with img in the link

Ditto the above statements.and also note that anything can be artsty!! even Football!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Zurf wrote:

Around here, we use the description "Daddy's drinking on the porch swing again."  It's a long word, but aptly describes most of my performances.

Yeah, I don't feel quite right using the term artist as a way to describe what I do. Musician is probably a stretch too. I play a guitar, throw a few words on top of it and hope for the best. roll

The Tate Gallery in London, someone placed an unmade bed, and had people queuing round the block to view it. So you guys just carry on doing what you're doing. To someone it's art.
(queuing, is my spellchecker working)?

Thick as two short planks