1 (edited by beestie 2015-08-06 20:17:35)

Topic: The Refugee

Written after hearing that another 200 people died just yesterday after another refugee boat sinking. This song took on a life of its own. You may notice that the words are different in the recorded version. It started out with a chorus, but I took it out and just added an instrumental in various places. Mainly when I needed a break to get my breath back. The  original chorus is the two lines after the instrumental.

This is a problem that we need all countries to get together and come up with some kind of coordinated plan. It might not be popular, and I'm buggered if I know how we fix it but it's about time we all started to work together to come up with some new ideas. What we have now is not working. Maybe we need to start a fund to pay countries to take people.

https://soundcloud.com/sak-26/the-refugeemp3

The Refugee
[G] On the run from all that hate, not  [C7]  even welcome by her state
[F] Not even the country where she was born, [pause for two beats] [G]   war torn
[ F] Not wanted anywhere it seems, all  [G] those past shattered dreams
[G] She can’t call any country home, not  [C7]welcome where ever she roams
[F] Her kids are crying at her side, [G] wondering if their dad’s alive
[G]  [C7] [F] [C]
[Em] All she wants is a fresh start, [G] a country that will show some heart
[C7] All she wants is a fresh start, [F] a country that will show some [G] heart

[G] But no one wants her here or there, [C7] she isn’t welcome anywhere
[F] In a shanty town she’ll live, dependant on what people[G]  give
[Em]And that’s not much you can be sure, [G] her kids are always wanting more
[C7] No country will step up to the plate,[F]  no shelter from all that [G] hate

[G] Desperate times, spawn desperate measures,[C7]  so she parts with all her treasures
[F] The boat is old in bad repair, devoid of all its fishing [G] gear
[Em] Not built to handle open seas, [C7] not nearly waters rough as these
[F] No toilet, and there’s not much food, she huddles with her weary [G]  brood

[G] Heading to the promised land, [C7] hoping for the best,  [F] landing will put them [tap]  to the [G]  test.
[Em}]The lands ahead but so’s the rocks,  this [C7]is a dangerous shore
[F] After all she’s been though, can she handle[G]  more.
[G] Safe on beach, at least for now, [C]she huddles in the sand
[F] Even here she’s not wanted in this wary  [G] land

[Em]Will anybody try to help, to [C7] keep her family whole
[F] Or will we just all turn away, a blot upon [G]  soul

Re: The Refugee

Great stuff Beestie, and very topical. Especially over here at the moment when migrants are storming the channel tunnel on a nightly basis.

Thick as two short planks

3 (edited by beestie 2015-08-06 23:22:12)

We are quite lucky here in New Zealand, being so far away from the problem, but there are times when I think countries like us should step up to the plate and do our fair share. Not likely to happen while New Zealand is being run by a bunch of bean counters.

keepitreal wrote:

Great stuff Beestie, and very topical. Especially over here at the moment when migrants are storming the channel tunnel on a nightly basis.

The same in the U.S. we are paying billions for all the illigals coming here from south of the border,also there are alot of drugs coming over with them. It is a Major problem here. The tax payers are (us) are having too pay for them.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

The trouble in UK and US is you are getting people who aren't true refugees. People coming into a country so they can make more money or have an easier life is not the same as someone running from a situation where staying might get them killed.

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-08-07 02:22:25)

Good point, Beestie!

We see that also in Canada. On top of it, there seem to be so many (not all of them!) who make little or no effort to fit into our culture, learn our language, or become positive contributors to the common good. Some even approach the definition of the word parasite, and to be fair we also have domestic parasites. The collective harm is becoming substantial.

Back to topic, your song shows the desperate plight of so many, who must choose between certain death or risk of death ... very sad, indeed.

A desperate  situation ,I  wrote  a  song  last  year  on this  subject   when I  was  in Greece   ,I  feel  for  these  people but I  dont  think  the  answer  is migration ,certainly  it  causes  bad  feelings  and  resentment  in the  country  they  come  to .I  dont  know  the  answer ,but  songs  like  this  serve  to  make  the  world  stop and  think .Well  done  beestie .

8 (edited by dino48 2015-08-07 19:33:05)

beestie wrote:

The trouble in UK and US is you are getting people who aren't true refugees. People coming into a country so they can make more money or have an easier life is not the same as someone running from a situation where staying might get them killed.

Beestie  that's very true,I would mot mind if they were true refugee's,but they are not. the people cominghere try too work our system too get food stamps, welfare free medical, and social security benefits.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Good song beestie, makes people think about stuff aye. smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan