Topic: A-shape Barre Chords... is this good form?

I've been playing for about 7 months and I'm getting better all the time, but one thing I have yet to master (or even be any good at) is A-shape barre chords like B or Bb.  While practicing earlier today and getting frustrated at trying to get my ring finger to do what I want it to (barre the d, g, and b strings), I realized that it was much easier if I didn't try to bar the low E string with my index finger, since I wasn't going to play it anyways.  It allows me to relax my ring finger a bit since I don't have to stretch as much.

So my question is, is that bad form?  Am I setting myself up for difficulty later on?  Should I try to at least mute that string by moving my finger just a little farther towards it?

I've tried playing these chords by barring the d and g strings with my ring finger and using my pinky to get the b string, but that feels really unnatural since one knuckle is curled over and the next one is pushed flat on the board, so I've given up on that approach.  Any other tips for this shape?

Thanks a bunch!

Re: A-shape Barre Chords... is this good form?

Lets take the B chord. Proper form is barre across all six strings with the index at the second fret, second finger 4th fret 4th string, third finger 4t fret 3rd string, fourth finger 4th fret second string. it does take practice but it will permit you to progress in your chord changes. Major to minor to minor 7th to 7th.
keep at it!
Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

If your fingers are a little large or you may or may not find it easier to barr your dge with your third finger by hyper extension
So your bending your third finger back or up so just the front of it rests on the three strings leaving the high e open
This will not happen overnite either but it is commonly done and you may find it easier to move the form up and down the neck
If however your fingers do all fit in there ,you are I believe better to use individual fingers because of quick access to 7th etc etc....

It takes time and lots of practice to develope the strenth and dexterity to make those chords, but it's well worth it. The shortcuts you mentioned are good too it you want to play finger style and leave a few strings open at times. Just don't give up and practice, practice, practice...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

You are doing nothing wrong. Most chord charts show B or Bb with the 6th string muted. This is because the root of the chord is on the 5th string and playing the 6th string kinda sounds a bit "muddy". It's perfectly OK to play it in the way you find easiest (in fact some people would say that it is technically the correct way to play it). That's the way I play it - with the 6th string muted. Just kinda lean your index finger onto the 6th string so that it is touching but not holding the string down.

Keep on strummin!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Alvee33 is correct.  The B or Bb barre chords starts with the 5th string root.  Most electric guitar players use their ring finger on the 4th fret, barring the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string.  While mute out the 1st (high E) string.  This technique takes time, but it will serve you well when you transition to other barre chords (such as D, E, and F).  You can also play the B and Bb on the 7th or 6th fret (respectively) by using the E chord shape.  The root note, will then be on the 6th string.