Topic: One song a month

I'm going to try to learn - really learn like be able to perform it decently - one song a month.  This should last for, I'm guessing a week.  Or an hour. 

First song will be Cherry Cherry by Neil Diamond. 

For those who know my style, and I'm willing to stretch outside my style a little bit, any suggestions or requests for coming songs I should do, or more likely avoid? 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: One song a month

Great plan, Zurf and one I may follow with you, if we can keep in touch here. For example, "Bill, this week it's 'Louie, 'Louie"", etc. etc.

Due to our recent circumstances, I haven't touched my guitar lately (Just a second.....okay, touched my Strat, but she's giving me the "cold shoulder". smile ), but with a plan such as this one, I feel like I could really get into the practice of playing regularly once more, so thanks very much for the inspiration!

Your friend,

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Really reachin'....?  Anything by Firefall, Strange Way is a good choice, not too difficult (except for that darn Bb, I use the barres).  If and when I drag one of their tunes out of the binder, most folks seem to not have heard them, so style changes are easy to get away with.

It's good to have goals.... mine is getting off tobacco by New Years.  Only vice I have, and I get irritable without..... Spammers Beware!!!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I'm working on putting together a set with my brother in law. We plan to hit the music circuit in January - so yes. Learning a new song every week is a good plan.

Still living. Still learning.

Post a link or a send me the chords you are using. I could use some motivation  - I've picked up my guitar for less than an hour since our last visit. I need to learn some new songs badly!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Zurf,
Good for you. I am almost inspired enough to try this myself!
dj

That's asmart idea setting a goal for yourself.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

topdown wrote:

Post a link or a send me the chords you are using. I could use some motivation  - I've picked up my guitar for less than an hour since our last visit. I need to learn some new songs badly!

For Cherry Cherry, I'm using Justin's easy peasy Youtube lesson. There are two nearly identical rhythms with the same chords but different orders in each part. Either part is simple. Both parts back and forth and transitioning between them is not.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Sounds like a plan - stick to it, Mr Z! Wish I could join you. It's four weeks now since I cut my finger and I've not been able to play guitar at all, though I can just about manage with a uke...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Do you have any links to stuff you've done?

Baldguitardude wrote:

Do you have any links to stuff you've done?

I'll send you an invitation to a Dropbox with some songs I recorded for Miss Dondra. 

Edit: Constructive criticism encouraged.

Edit: Some constructive criticism encouraged. 

Edit: You know, a little constructive criticism would be good.  A little.

- Zurf

normtheguitar wrote:

Sounds like a plan - stick to it, Mr Z! Wish I could join you. It's four weeks now since I cut my finger and I've not been able to play guitar at all, though I can just about manage with a uke...

My suggestion is to stop cutting your fingers. 

In all seriousness, I do wish you well with recovery.

Good idea, and now that you've posted it here... we have to make you accountable.  So... keep it up!  I expect to see you, maybe, next year sometime and hear some new songs!  wink  I'll harass you here and on skype or something to help ensure progress is made along the way.  big_smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Zurf wrote:

Edit: You know, a little constructive criticism would be good.  A little.

- Zurf

No criticism necessary man, I mean unless you want me to be a wonky douche, but what fun is that?

Sounds good! Although I must admit those tunes were unfamiliar to me. (At least so far. I'm still listening.) 

Your voice would lend itself very nicely to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvBhGCQx09w

Baldguitardude wrote:

No criticism necessary man, I mean unless you want me to be a wonky douche, but what fun is that?

You don't recognize songs that were written and not even popular before you were born... that's weird.

As for John Hiatt, I do a song of his called "The River Knows Your Name."  I have never heard it, so it's fairly unlikely that my arrangement is anything like his.

mekidsmom wrote:

Good idea, and now that you've posted it here... we have to make you accountable.

That was the idea.

mekidsmom wrote:

I'll harass you here and on skype or something to help ensure progress is made along the way.  big_smile

If it means I get to hang out with you, Jim, and the kids - even electronically - then harassment is welcome.  I should probably get a camera or something for Skypery.

Gidday zurf
hey send me a link to your songs please
i`d love to have a listen
many thanks

The King Of Audio Torture

easybeat wrote:

Gidday zurf
hey send me a link to your songs please
i`d love to have a listen
many thanks

You don't know what horrors you've subjected yourself to, but I've sent the invitation nevertheless.

Do you do a lot of songs you haven't actually heard before? That's a pretty fun idea.

Baldguitardude wrote:

Do you do a lot of songs you haven't actually heard before? That's a pretty fun idea.

All the ones I've stolen from the Songwriting forum. With credit of course. Selso's song about the hippy chick, John's song about the Country Life, and so on. But others too. Sometimes when I'm looking for one song I come across a chord chart, and if I like the lyrics I'll give them a go even if I don't know how it goes. I've never been one to let ignorance, shame, or an utter lack of competency stand in the way.

So... November's song was Cherry Cherry.  But while I was digging around in Neil Diamond songs, I came across Solitary Man and all I needed to do for that to get it ready was to learn the intro.  So this month's song has been Solitary Man.  Maybe Cherry Cherry will be December.  But you'd think it ought to be a Christmas song.  This is going to require more discipline in guitar playing than I bring to it.

Zurf wrote:

So... November's song was Cherry Cherry.  But while I was digging around in Neil Diamond songs, I came across Solitary Man and all I needed to do for that to get it ready was to learn the intro.  So this month's song has been Solitary Man.  Maybe Cherry Cherry will be December.  But you'd think it ought to be a Christmas song.  This is going to require more discipline in guitar playing than I bring to it.

Neil Diamond music great choice his tunes are fairly easy.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

hi Zurf,

since attaining the grand old age of 60 (4 years ago) i've found it increasingly difficult to learn the words of songs. then last week i thought i'd give "come on over" by the drifters a go so i spent a few hours one monday morning trying to memorise them and they've stuck!!!! i heard somewhere that morning is the best time to learn stuff, just a suggestion, cant hurt.:)

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

This sounds like a plan Zurf. The problem I have these days is, I learn  1 song and forget 2. So after a couple of months I'll be back to knowing nothing.

Thick as two short planks