1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-11-05 18:39:16)

Topic: Finally!!!!! A PACEMAKER!!!!

Hello Friends,

After so many trips to the hospital, so many meds we tried that didn't work, Dondra's cardiologist has finally put in a pacemaker. a device which will keep her heart rhythm regular and without the atrial fibrillation that accompanied it.

I know. Y'all, like me, are asking yourselves, "Why didn't they do that in the first place, Bill"? I'm about to tell you, but try not to give into the temptation to let your jaw hit the floor.

We're both on Medicare and what that means is Medicare only pays 80% of what you need, be it medicine or surgery. What that means is the operation which is an expensive one, won't get the doctor who does it, a full amount. So..... they try everything else first, no matter the amount of danger the patient is in, "hit 'em with those meds and try to avoid anything major, such as a pacemaker or open heart". (That's not an actual quote -- just one I used for an explanation.).

Of course we were upset and relieved at the same time when we learned of this, and as I write, she is in bed resting and letting the wound from the pacemaker surgery heal. She gets home health care and we were given a roller/walker for her to use to get around here at home. She wanted to let all of you know that she's feeling much better and feels like she has "a new heart". There is a monthly test we have to do to make sure the device is calibrated and functioning as it should, so we're both feeling a lot less stress nowadays.

Could we have had the procedure done at the beginning? Sure, but the thing we were lacking is "supplemental insurance" to cover what Medicare will not. The reason we have only the Medicare is because we really cannot afford the supplemental insurance and that's all there is to it. If you have it, you know what I mean. If you don't, have you tried pricing it?

Sometimes "Thank You" doesn't seem like a good enough phrase to express gratitude, but just the same we do thank you all from the bottom of our hearts.

Bill and Dondra

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Finally!!!!! A PACEMAKER!!!!

Bill & Dondra, That is great news that your recurring trials are finally over, but distressing about all that you have to tolerate to get something done that should have been done in the first place.  If the "bean counters" did their jobs, it might seem that the combined costs of all those hotel/hospital stays and such, far overshadow the cost of the "installation".

Take it easy & get healthy!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

About time too. This is the sort of problem you come up against when accountants run health systems. The first thought should be 'What is best for the patient' not 'How much money can we save by not giving the best treatment for the patient'.

Glad Dondra is now feeling better and will not have any more of those attacks which must be very frightening for both of you.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-11-05 23:16:24)

So very glad you guys have this situation finally resolved ... what an ordeal you've been through.

I know I'm the first one to grumble about high taxes here in Canada, but this sort of thing is 100% covered here. I'm waiting for the call for a knee replacement, and won't even need to take my wallet with me when the time comes. I guess I should stop griping and be thankful.

Right now, however, I'm grateful that Dondra is on the mend, and you must be extremely relieved, Bill. Get well soon, Mrs. Musicator!

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1340561225923_8553339.png

Well thats great news, I wish you a speedy recovery Dondra and look forward to seeing you posting here on Chordie. For me here in England its difficult to believe that important possibly life saving surgery all depends on insurance. Like T F, we pay a national insurance as part of our taxes, and for that we get sick pay when off work, hospital treatment when necessary,  and a pension when we get old.
As much as I moan about it, maybe the UK isn't such a bad place.

Thick as two short planks

Good news Bill and Dondra.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

When my father in law got one, it added a lot of vitality and confidence to his life. I hope the same holds true for Miss Dondra.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Very good news, at last, Bill!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

FINALLY!

I think I said that first thing, she needs a pacemaker!  I'm so glad to hear that it's finally happened!  You two need a nice month of just relaxing at home.

While I can't personally feel your pain regarding the insurance situation, I do understand it.  It's ridiculous.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Now all you need is a hammock and a gentle breeze.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Wonderful News, that pacemaker should have been put in earlier on. It is a shame with technology taking jobs away and creating less need for people in the work force that most big Corporations don't pay their fair share of taxes. Any good society needs to look after its citizens health through tax dollars. Today as an example 70% of the worlds share trading is done by computers. We all have noticed technology that has replaced people in the work force and the demise of small business being able to compete in the market place. We now have the majority of big Corporates not paying their fare share of taxes worldwide. They usually donate some money back to society as a marketing exercise. Little Islands that are tax havens might benefit but most of the developed world misses out. Governments and bean counters need to value their citizens more.

So glad they have finally done something.   I know a lady who had one put in a few years back now, but she is doing really well and enjoying life again, as will Dondra smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Good news, make that GREAT NEWS! Happy to hear that Dondra will soon be well, and you both can relax and get back to musicating.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

American Thanksgiving is coming up in a couple of weeks and we both already know to whom we are grateful. Other than "The Big Guy", there's you, our dear friends, so what we'd like to do is get some poster paper and make a Thanksgiving Card to all of you, have me make a picture and post it here. I am currently hard at work gathering all of your names and I hope so much I don't forget anyone.

So how about this: I make a list, and if someone notices someone not on it, please let me know privately and I will fix it.

We are so grateful to all of you and we want to do this little thing to show how thankful we are that there's all of you who stood and are standing by us.

We love you!

Bill and (the lovely) Dondra Craig

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Bill / Dondra, that is such an interesting and thought full thing to do. I look forward to seeing the finished product. 
I hope you are both getting some well deserved rest.

Thick as two short planks