Topic: Tele Neck

I have a 1984 Standard Tele made in USA just before they went to Japan. Problem is bought it when I was much younger 32 years ago. didn't know much then. But now I enjoy playing less rounded necks. There is a luthier in our town building up a good reputation and my buddies keep suggesting that I take my Tele to him and let him take the hump out of the D and make it like my Strat. Is this a good idea? or a pipe dream?

Thank you
ac cobra

Re: Tele Neck

If it's a bolt on neck give some thought to just buying a new neck with the shape of your choice, if you don't like it you could put the original one back on. Welcome to Chordie.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I just checked Stewmac and the replacement necks for the Strat and Tele are exactly the same profile, shape, thickness, and fretboard radius.  So if you check the dimensions of the the Strat you like, you could just buy a replacement and swap them out.  If you start carving on an original neck, you stand a chance of weakening it or horror of horrors get into the truss rod dado ending up with a "two-piece" chunk of "Fender kindling".

Replacements are reasonably priced and about what an hour and a half of your Luthier's time would cost..... in my mind a bargain, and allows you to retain the value of the original (by having all the original numbered parts together) should you ever decide to part with your instrument.

You own it so it is up to you how to proceed.

Welcome to the Chordie Forum!!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug Smith and Bluejeep thank you!!!

ac cobra