Topic: Traveling with my guitar

I would like to take my guitar with me on a trip but I am worried about it being damaged by the airline. It is not an expensive guitar, but I like it. Has anyone had trouble taking one as carry-on ?

Re: Traveling with my guitar

Depends on the airline ,some allow it in a soft case as cabin luggage or you can buy a sear for it,Agean do this.I brought  my ovation as hold luggage in a semi hard case no problem ,but as I say it depends on the airline best bet is phone customer service for your airline.

3 (edited by bluejeep 2016-02-25 00:06:09)

I never trusted traveling by air with a guitar or any instrument for that matter.  I suggest you take a set of your favorite strings with you and buy an inexpensive guitar when you get to your destination. That way you won't risk your guitar and you end up with another when you ship your "new" one home. One can never have to many guitars.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I've flown with mine several times (Ovation) in a hard case..... it will fit in the overhead of most airlines, and where space is limited there may be room in the "stroller" closet with the walkers etc..  last time the space was limited so the Stewardess stowed it for me up in the first-class cabin..... go figure, I get business class and my guitar gets the up-grade!

As for a soft case or gig bag, I don't think there is enough protection there for traversing the terminal much less the rigors of baggage handling.  I do loosen the strings and remove the pre-amp battery so I don't have a mess to deal with if the battery should leak from reduced cabin pressure, and because glue joints don't deal well to extreme cold that can happen in freight holds, carry-on is a preference.  Always check with the airline in advance, but most have established policies about musical instruments that are liberal.  A friend travels with her Cello often and buys a seat for it.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Do not use a gig bag.  If they are jerks and make you gate check it you are screwed. 

Try not to check it as luggage.  Years ago an airline destroyed an amp of mine and exempted it from coverage as "electronics equipment" even though they destroyed mostly the enclosure.

I like BlueJeep's suggestion ... especially if you were thinking of traveling with a high-end guitar. Most of us will be familiar with Dave Carroll's experience, and the song he wrote about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Thank you.

where are you traveling too and from? is it a non stop or at least same  plane flight?  I have traveled with my guitar. in a hard case as carry on. on the way out in the overhead on the way back they put it in cargo.   it was fine.just make sure it is covered by your homeowners or renters, take a pick of it, and if the airline does damage it, they now have to replace it. just read a article on the issue not to long ago. ( I was kind of hoping they would break it so I could get a newer better guitar.)  cheers

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)