Topic: What has happened?

I am going to state my opinion and well, like it or not, its the truth that can bee seen in the pages of this website.

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THIS FORUM?!?  I gotta be honest, its gotten very boring in here.  I try to post on many things,  on many post I see lots of views and no conversations. We also have lost many members under 40,   I have to voice this. Are we over protecting this little family?   Or is it just not in fashion any  more? This last year is the slowest year I have seen yet.

Rant / uncontrolled opinion over.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s320x320/e35/12534483_1666095420324746_2082417695_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTE2NTAwMzQ4NTEwOTI5MjU3OQ%3D%3D.2

https://mollyfielddotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/screen-shot-2014-07-28-at-12-34-32-pm.png

THE METALIZER

LETS GET THE PARTY BACK ON TRACK!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Re: What has happened?

Everything has its ups and downs. 

There will be more great times with interesting contributions and endearing conversations in the future.

(I hope so...)

Collinsone

Collinsone is right.  I've not been here as long as you have, Scott.  However, I've seen these forums fluctuate in activity levels.  I've noticed that posting comes and goes, as do members.  It's not just that members leave, but weather changes and people get out from in front of their computers and do stuff in the real world.  I've seen YOU go weeks at a time not posting.  It happens, it's life.  It flows like a tide.  The Ebb and Flow of a forum. 

I work on a very BUSY forum as a moderator elsewhere.  We're talking... 400 people online at ALL TIMES busy, sometimes thousands.  Even that forum has it's busy times and slow times, and it's not just time of day, but day of the week, week of the year, holidays, changes that happen with the content being discussed, world affairs, etc...

The beautiful thing about a forum is, you post something and someone can see it right away.  They can check on the happenings.  THEN they can come back later on when they have time to sit in front of the computer for a bit and draft up a reply.  The content will still be there.  I think, maybe... you're seeing the ebb and feeling the PULL of social media and smart phones where everything is always happening RIGHT NOW.  Forums are... whenever you get to it.  That's why they're still my favorite!  I never feel the need to be here 24/7 worried I'll miss something.  Nope.  The good stuff will still be here down the line.

BTW - One post about something is sufficient in the proper section.  There's no need to cross post in other sections. Just give people time to see your message and reply.  Relax.  Social Media is like a discussion on public transit - quick, rushed, in your face.  Forums are like a discussion over a 5 course meal.  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I have stopped posting on several interest forums because they are so negative. Everyone is seeking how to twist the words of others to fit some preconceived notion or other and the whole thing is hijacked over grammar and vocabulary. This forum is not as busy, but it is universally positive and encouraging. I prefer that to high speed, low drag negativity.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

since i joined...well a while ago, the one thing i have noticed is that weekends from friday, seem to get very few posts. i guess that means that people are busier on fridays?
my daughter is on FB and some other sites and her phone is peeping every couple of seconds! what i'd like to know is why do people think the rest of the world need to know when they've gone to the shop for a loaf of bread? (that's not what i was going to put here but it is cleaner lol)

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Well this was a good topic for discussion you came up with Scott.  At this moment (mid to late afternoon on a Monday) there are around 300 folks wandering around the site getting the information/music/educational stuff they were looking for, without feeling a need to reach out and ask for assistance.  To me that says "Chordie is doing a fair to middling job of doing exactly what it was intended".

On the other hand you DO have Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and such services filling the Social Networking Role(s), much as they were intended to(as Seinfield would say "not that there's anything wrong with that")..... not so much "my thing" but for the younger folks out there "right-on!".
We remember when Bulletin Boards were the social-networking venue, but these days Forums are more perceived as the "help/support" section as opposed to the "chat room", so I'm not overly concerned about the "tides of contributions".

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

7 (edited by beamer 2016-03-28 22:10:47)

I see I woke some people up. LOLOL OK Amy soft point taken. (maybe I just miss seeing the old gang around as much as I used to.)  I was doing that because some may not even care to look in the gadgets section since they are not into that, or maybe dont look in anything but the general chat room.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

8 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-03-28 22:19:35)

I've wondered the same thing, Scott.

We have a couple dozen regular participants, and that's about it. I'll often notice a lot of other members logged in at the bottom of the FORUM page, but can't recall ever seeing  posts from most of them. Then there's some who'll join to complain about something, but then we never hear from them again.

My own two-cents worth is that the Chordie regulars are a very respectful and supportive group, which is what I like most about it. Some other music sites have forums, where the contributors trash talk one another, their gear, their opinions ... you name it. If some folk find that entertaining, so be it ... ain't my cup o' tea. Don't know why more people don't take a regular part, but that's just up to them in the end. I find the daily visit to the site energizes me to keep at my guitar, and there's always something to learn.

Love Chordie ... 'nuff said.

I`m still here. But I am a little over 40. Weekends are my time.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I'm hanging on to my 30's by a thread.

I really enjoy the people here, even if the participation is slower. We have 80% regulars, 20% lurkers and 0% trolls. What other forum on the web can say that?

I'll throw in my 2-bits. (Inflation ya know?)

But first I gotta tell you. Love the avatar and sig lines. Been meaning to mention this since the first time I read them but never got around to it.  I didn't see it when it was new but when it went into syndication I used to watch Firefly whenever it was on. 

But on to your concerns.

I've been here a little over two years. When I joined, it wasn't a really active forum. Yes, there were new posts every day but not pages of them like another forum I visit. Usually a half dozen or so a day. It was a small core group that did all the posting and that actually intimidated me somewhat. But it all worked out. A friendlier group you couldn't ask for.

I don't know what it was like before I got here but from my point of reference, the forum has become more active; especially in the last 8 months or so. There are quieter times where things slow down a bit but overall I've seen an increase in participation since my newbie days. Maybe it's because I'm in the "Over 40" crowd but I enjoy the closeness of a smaller group. It feels more like a family or a group of long time friends.

Like Amy said; members come and go. I've left quite a few forums behind for one reason or another. Usually because they went in a direction that didn't appeal to me. Then there are times when life gets in the way and I spend more time doing the everyday things that need done.

And you're right about the gadgets. I tried the electric guitar a couple years ago and didn't enjoy playing it. Yes it was easier on the fingers but I find  the acoustic to be so much more expressive. I sold the SG back in December. Couldn't see any reason to keep it around when it didn't get used.  I don't use any effect pedals, amps or other electronic stuff so I rarely go in to that section. Although I'm going to get myself a loop station this year. One of the guys I play with got one over the winter. What a cool device!

So hang in there.

12 (edited by easybeat 2016-03-29 04:37:15)

Gidday Beamer
yeah i`m with you on this one.
I used to post a lot,but you get very little response
which hardly encourages me to post.No point in talking to myself,as
I want a conversation.
So while i visit daily & read u guys i comment less often.

The King Of Audio Torture

beamer wrote:

I see I woke some people up. LOLOL OK Amy soft point taken. (maybe I just miss seeing the old gang around as much as I used to.)  I was doing that because some may not even care to look in the gadgets section since they are not into that, or maybe dont look in anything but the general chat room.

You know I still love ya right?  smile 

I also have a post to put up... SOON... that I think you'll like.  It's going to be in the ELECTRIC section!  (soon... could be days or weeks... I'm not sure yet)

In the mean time - I have a random completely off topic photo of an adorable creamy chick currently living in my house.  Since I can't decide where to post her fluffiness, and I reprimanded you publicly for forums no-no's, I figure I might as well do one too.  Cuz, yeah... us bad kids gotta stick together!  SMILE!  It's good for ya!

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/7642_10209061566394954_7352445080282510567_n.jpg?oh=5cf985208d535a5a6911cd4cbf300585&oe=57965CDF 

It'll get busier around here again.  I'm sure of that!  A LOT of people use Chordie just for what Chordie is, and they don't care about the forums.  Like - a LOT of people!  This site is actually REALLY busy.  Maybe forums are going out of style.  If that's what you mean by the "under 40" crowd.  Yes, I think the younger peeps just aren't into forums. They don't get it, because they ARE using other social media and like the instant gratification.  I'm barely hanging onto my 30's myself.  My early internet days were all about forums and chat rooms full of strangers all talking on one specific topic. Even MySpace - the original social media website - used to function more like a forum. 

<cue black and white photo filter and some hillbilly music>   My first cell phone was a "flip phone" that I got as an adult and only used to make emergency type calls. I recall the first time I couldn't find a payphone and thought, "crud, time to make a daytime phone call and jack up my bill!"  Ha ha - remember when nights and weekends were the only time you used the cell?  When Jim and I were first married and he was working out of town texting wasn't a thing.  I remember SNAIL MAILING him at the motel he was staying in.  I sent a few photos of the baby (who is now 11 and has her first cell phone - SMART phone, a computer in her pocket) getting her first teeth.  No one does that anymore.  Now we would just text that picture, post it to Facebook and tag the person, or chat on skype with live video!  OH - and I remember phone numbers with letters in them, and we had a "party line" at our house when I was a kid to save money.  I remember when we got the TV with a REMOTE. It was HUGE - a whole 25" maybe.  It didn't have rabbit ears or a tin foil hat either! AND, we got more than 4 channels on it!  <end photo filter and hillbilly music>

I LOVE TECHNOLOGY!  Times change, but I still love forums.  smile  Don't get me wrong, I like Facebook and stuff too.  But, I love the slow pace of forums, and how I can say something (you know, write a book) then come back to view the replies whenever the heck I feel like it.

OK - so what do you want to talk about next?  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Personally, although I may visit the electric or gadgets forums, I haven't got a clue what's going on. As in recent posts about new pickups and valves theirs nothing I can add, so its easier to watch from a distance and let it run.
Unlike MKM I don't get on to well with new technology, that's one reason I have never posted on sound cloud or YouTube, I just don't know how. The other reasons are, I can't. Sing and I can't play guitar

Thick as two short planks

keep It real
hey not being able to sing & play hasn`t stopped me from going on soundcloud.
I`m useless @ tech stuff too,but soundcloud is pretty easy.
Give it a go.You won`t regret it.

The King Of Audio Torture

See, I knew people would start talking lolol

AMY the new topic being  LOOK At new post  smile

im just gonna sit quietly in the corner

out of tune out of key and out of touch

MOJO! HEY MY DAUGHTER GOES TO  SFA!  JUST NOTICED YOUR LOCATION.  I will find the name of the asian  place she is working at and when, and you can go and tell HI I talk to your dad on Chordie. LOLOL

beamer wrote:

MOJO! HEY MY DAUGHTER GOES TO  SFA!  JUST NOTICED YOUR LOCATION.  I will find the name of the asian  place she is working at and when, and you can go and tell HI I talk to your dad on Chordie. LOLOL

lets see Asian city, Ocean city, Schezuan, cant remember the last one. boy she is a long way from home for division 2 school. nursing ? or forestry? I get home from work this coming Saturday let me  know ill look her up. she may know my daughter  or son in law who going to school there also.  its nice to have people you know when your a long way from home

out of tune out of key and out of touch